Titanic Submarine Situation

Archangel

Am I insensitive that I don’t understand why everyone is so exercised over this titanic submarine? Honestly if they are found I hope they are handed a BILL! The amount of money and resources being devoted to finding five RICH people who engaged in reckless behavior vs the 500 people who were left to callously die off the coast of Greece is shameful.

While I agree that these billionaires should be billed (their estates, that is, assuming the rescue proves unsuccessful), I do agree with the rescue attempt. I'm not familiar with the Greek story you mentioned previously. If people were left to die, I agree that the situation would be atrocious and unforgiveable. Two wrongs don't make it right. I also agree that the billionaires' trip was foolhardy. Even if money were of no object (which I guess is the case for these people), it's crazy to put oneself in such a dangerous situation--in which there's almost no hope if something goes wrong. 

Edited by Unicorn

It's been a big news story here in Canada and I think I understand why. First its like climbing Mt. Everest or helicopter skiing in BC or any other high risk adventure. It's normally well educated, affluent people who engage in these activities and some die every year. You just hope the odds are with you. 

These people have a high tolerance to risk. The billionaires on this trip were two Pakistani's, a father and son and the British businesman-explorer.  The other two were a French-American undersea expert and the CEO of the company that owned the vessel. But people like to scoff at billionaires and the successful.

And the lure surrounding the Titanic and its mythic reputation draws a certain type to want to get up close and is not satisfied in just watching some 3D film of the shipwreck.  

So yes, it all seems a bit extravagent to focus on this human tragedy when many other more mundane tragedies are playing out every day in the world. Such as the hundreds of migrants on the ship that foundered off the coast of Greece.

But people get caught up in these stories, just like the story of Amelia Erhardt. Its just human behavior.

Edited by Luv2play
Additional info.

It’s the human spirit to explore and push boundaries. We wouldn’t have survived without that drive. It’s also the human spirit to empathise with the people stuck in that sub. Imagine what you would feel if you were down there. You’d also hope that someone would try to rescue you. If they are saved then I’m sure they’ll be grateful and will compensate those who save them. If they don’t do that then they’ll deserve contempt. When we start deciding who deserves saving and who doesn’t then we’re on a very slippery slope. Who decides where that line is drawn? That’s also what makes us human: compassion. 

1 hour ago, Jamie21 said:

When we start deciding who deserves saving and who doesn’t then we’re on a very slippery slope. Who decides where that line is drawn?

Oh we’ve long ago decided that. We have “started.” 

The Titanic and the mythos around it is sexy. That’s why this story was in the headlines and likely, to some degree, why it solicited so much support.

Would that the same effort were poured into the fighting going on in Uganda right now. Or the humanitarian crisis in Yemen. But…resources are limited. We make choices every minute of every day who’s getting them. The victims of political violence in Uganda and civil war in Yemen didn’t court disaster like these billionaires did. It happened to them. Should we folks looked for the billionaires? Absolutely. But they also understood the risk. It’s tragic something went wrong, but it shouldn’t be something seen as unexpected or pitiful. Imagine if we poured resources into rehabilitating the previously incarnated? Instead people act like such folks deserve their hard life. Or addicts who end up ODing. We say, “How tragic,” and move on. We say they should know better. These men knew there was risk and took it. Sad, yes. But they knew. 

Edited by Archangel

9 minutes ago, Archangel said:

... The victims of political violence in Uganda and civil war in Yemen didn’t court disaster like these billionaires did....

Well, I would never quite scoff at those billionaires. That being said, I do shudder when I see massive sums of money being spent on "look at me" activities or luxury items, when the money could be spent helping the less fortunate. When I die, I'd like to be remembered for my generosity and philanthropy rather than for partaking in some expensive, risky activity, or for my ownership of luxury goods. Living where we do, my fiance will often comment that someone is wearing an outfit costing 5 figures. Quite frankly, I find these expenditures crass and insensitive to the plight of others. (We did get my partner some fake designer stuff when we were in Turkey last month, though). If someone's going to talk about me, I would rather they say "Unicorn really cares for others. Last month he held a fundraiser for the International Rescue Committee at his house," instead of "Did you hear Unicorn went into outer space last month?". I would be embarrassed rather than proud to spend money on useless crap meant only to show off. I'd rather spend any extra cash on the IRC, Rainbow Railroad, Feeding America, Oxfam, and supporting the arts. 

og-image-default.jpeg
WWW.RESCUE.ORG

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Find out how you can help...
favicon.png
WWW.RAINBOWRAILROAD.ORG

Rainbow Railroad helps LGBTQI+ people escape state-sponsored violence. Learn more or request help today.
WWW.FEEDINGAMERICA.ORG

Feeding America is a nonprofit network of 200 food banks leading the fight against hunger in the United States. Learn how you can help end hunger in America.

oxfam-america-image_nr63lYZ.width-1200.p
WWW.OXFAMAMERICA.ORG

Oxfam is a global movement of people fighting inequality to end poverty and injustice. Together we offer lifesaving support in times of crisis and advocate for economic...

I've been struck by the fact that while there have been many submersibles that have descended to the shipwreck since it was discovered (including this ill-fated one), that it was one named the Titan came to grief visiting the Titanic.

The ocean liner Titanic was sold as being " unsinkable" and this Titan was apparently promoted to rich tourists as being safe.

In tbe case of the Titanic, it was later discovered that there were many reasons to doubt it's safety, including the steps that were taken to cut costs in its construction. 

We have yet to find out if anything questionable was done to minimize the risks in promoting this submersible. Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

We have yet to find out if anything questionable was done to minimize the risks in promoting this submersible. Time will tell.

There are already articles stating that this was an disaster just waiting for it's first victim.

Strange that there weren't better regulations for such a business.

18 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

...We have yet to find out if anything questionable was done to minimize the risks in promoting this submersible....

I've been hearing that yes, there were. 

30 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

There are already articles stating that this was an disaster just waiting for it's first victim.

But that was what the Titanic disaster uncovered. The government regulations were inadequate. For instance the number of lifeboats sufficient to cover everyone on board did not exist. There were other lacunae relating to communications and the construction standards of ships.

These were addressed following an enquiry the British held after the disaster. Perhaps some sort of enquiry will be held following this disaster.

Edited by Luv2play
Corrections.

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Agreed.  But this seems to be the case for any private enterprise taking place in international waters.  Had the Titanic sunk closer to the coast, and within the bounds of Canadian or American jurisdiction, that submersible would never have been making voyages to the deep.

7 hours ago, Unicorn said:

While I agree that these billionaires should be billed (their estates, that is, assuming the rescue proves unsuccessful), I do agree with the rescue attempt.

I don’t agree at all - 5 people decided to go on a very risky undersea adventure & it will cost tens of millions in total costs to our government.  and this isn’t a unique situation - our government spends tons of money getting people out of situations they shouldn’t be in to begin with.  Remember the kid held hostage in North Korea ?  And the hikers in Iran ?  It goes on and on and on.

Our government has finite resources and those resources should not be spent on people putting themselves into high risk situations which require government rescue.  The price for the submarine adventure needs to include insurance to pay for all the rescue costs if something happens.  
The US government will never recover these costs. Not going to happen. 

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I've been struck by the fact that while there have been many submersibles that have descended to the shipwreck since it was discovered (including this ill-fated one), that it was one named the Titan came to grief visiting the Titanic.

And owned and operated by a man whose wife's ancestors apparently died in the Titanic disaster back in 1912...

Hopefully they'll drain every penny OceanGate has to at least refund part of the rescue costs. I guess the passengers can't be found liable. It would have been better for the passengers to spend their money helping Feeding America, which an e-mail just informed me is very LGBTQ+ positive!

5 hours ago, sync said:

My understanding is that the design of the submersible made it able to be opened only from the outside.

There is no point in having it open on a deep dive. You'd be crushed immediately if you tried to leave the craft. Experts are saying the metal craft itself wasn't built with the durability necessary and was crushed. Imagine the pressures down there. You'd be instantly squished like a bug.

16 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

There is no point in having it open on a deep dive. You'd be crushed immediately if you tried to leave the craft. Experts are saying the metal craft itself wasn't built with the durability necessary and was crushed. Imagine the pressures down there. You'd be instantly squished like a bug.

Of course, at or near the maximum depth exposure would have meant certain death, however, a report I read stated that contact with the submersible was lost less than 2 hours after the dive.  If there were unfavorable or warning instrument readings within the submersible at or around that time, perhaps they could have ejected if it had been possible to open the hatch from within.

I'm also curious to know if it can ever be determined if there was an engine failure.

Edited by sync
Additional comment