65 is not elderly, damn it!

samhexum

Officers from the 104th Precinct responded to a call regarding a collision at Metropolitan Avenue and Cooper Avenue in Middle Village that resulted in an elderly pedestrian being taken to the hospital on Monday morning.

Police say a 42-year-old man was behind the wheel of a Hyundai driving eastbound when they mounted the curb and hit the 65-year-old woman at approximately 8:31 a.m. on June 19.

If I ever get my hands on the young whippersnapper who wrote this...

Well 75 is late elderly so she’s lucky not to have been the late elderly, prematurely, a decade too soon. 

Which the late elderly is ironic considering my late fancy-hat grandmother, 75 to my 13, was always ready hours ahead of us. 

Edited by SirBillybob

pmc-card-share.jpg?_=0
WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

To identify how ‘elderly’ patients are defined and considered within Australian clinical guidelines for the use of pharmacotherapy.Guidelines pertaining to the use of...

"...Ageing, an inevitable process, is commonly measured by chronological age and, as a convention, a person aged 65 years or more is often referred to as ‘elderly’...."

11 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

Well 75 is late elderly so she’s lucky not to have been the late elderly, prematurely, a decade too soon. 

Which the late elderly is ironic considering my late fancy-hat grandmother, 75 to my 13, was always ready hours ahead of us. 

I resemble that remark! 75, late elderly. Yikes! 

12 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Last summer after a fall down the stairs, EMT’s filled out their report, referring to this guy, then 66, as “male, over 40”

Almost made the 3-night stay in the hospital worth it. 

That’s a lot of stairs. 4 flights? Hope you’re OK now.

Edited by SirBillybob

5 minutes ago, Pensant said:

Is that still around? My grandmother was a subscriber.

LIMITED-TIME-ONLY $10 DEAL

Save 81% when you subscribe to America's Favorite Magazine!

Reader's Digest Coverburst-10.png

Inside Every Issue:

1 hour ago, Pensant said:

I subscribe to the notion that age is a social construct !

intellectually correct - unfortunately, the body & its functions are different matters entirely. my urologist isn’t buying the social construct 

there are some very interesting studies about the disconnect between one’s own chronological age & self-perceived age.  Lots of thinking we are much younger than we actually are. Not that it’s a bad thing as it might actually keep us more active and healthier longer as long as it doesn’t lead to excessive risk-taking.

the disconnect is probably due to the elderly becoming invisible in our culture and the reluctance to talk about it and/or acknowledge it.  Of course, we all think we are the ones who won’t become invisible- until it’s happened.  
And of course, what follows elderly is an absolute taboo for most Americans.  We do not like the D word. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

LIMITED-TIME-ONLY $10 DEAL

Save 81% when you subscribe to America's Favorite Magazine!

Reader's Digest Coverburst-10.png

Inside Every Issue:

It's even available in the LARGE PRINT edition! (That's the one we get.)