65 is not elderly, damn it!

samhexum

The Wall Street Journal had an article on Tuesday which states that there is more personal savings and financial stability built into the population now vs 2008 because the population now consists of 17% elderly (age 65 and over) vs 12% elderly in 2008.  The elderly accounted for 22% of spending last year.  The elderly typically have paid off houses, few student loans, and aren't at risk of layoffs.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

• 3 months later...

A 13-year-old boy is accused of murdering a Colorado grandfather over a dispute he was blocking the aisle on a public bus last week as relatives were told the man had died when they tried to file a missing person report days later.

Richard Sanchez, 60, was killed only a few blocks away from his home while riding an RTD bus last Saturday night after he allegedly got into an argument with a teenage straphanger, according to Fox 31.

The shooting happened around 6:41 p.m. at the intersection of South Federal Boulevard and West Mississippi Avenue — about 3 miles from Empower Field at Mile High, the Denver Broncos’ stadium.

Sanchez was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A second person was hurt and treated at the scene and did not require hospitalization, police said.

Less than a week after the heartless killing, police arrested a 13-year-old suspected in connection to Sanchez’s murder on Thursday.

Police believe the argument between the alleged killer and Sanchez started over the elderly man blocking the aisle with his leg.

It's articles like this that make me (sort of) understand @WilliamM's obsession with the NY Post's reporting standards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 12:24 PM, Charlie said:
On 6/28/2023 at 5:43 PM, Unicorn said:

And there are lots of places to get Senior discounts starting age 60...

I think I got my first one when I was 55.

I used to ask for, and get, Senior discounts when I was a Senior in High School, and then again when I was a Senior at University.  Gotta take what you can get!

On 8/20/2023 at 9:29 AM, CuriousByNature said:
  On 8/20/2023 at 3:23 AM, arnemgreeves said:

Elderly is retirement age

The AARP (American Association of Retired People) begins sending membership requests at age 50.  I have many elderly friends in their 50s, some of whom are still working 😉

On 10/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, Vegas_Millennial said:

The Wall Street Journal had an article on Tuesday which states that there is more personal savings and financial stability built into the population now vs 2008 because the population now consists of 17% elderly (age 65 and over) vs 12% elderly in 2008.  The elderly accounted for 22% of spending last year.  The elderly typically have paid off houses, few student loans, and aren't at risk of layoffs.

I'm not so sure how true that is given the people moving into that cohort are the ones less likely to have a pension, more likely to have married later, and borrowed against their houses to send their kids to college. The average wealth might be higher but I suspect the median is slipping. 

Edited by sniper

On 2/18/2024 at 7:56 PM, sniper said:

I'm not so sure how true that is given the people moving into that cohort are the ones less likely to have a pension, more likely to have married later, and borrowed against their houses to send their kids to college. The average wealth might be higher but I suspect the median is slipping. 

Everything I read has been to the contrary.  The current US elderly population is the wealthiest in history, having the highest annual income for the elderly adjusted for inflation and looking at the median.  As for the loss of pensions, that may make the elderly feel less income secure because they must rely on their assets to plan for the future.  But although previous elderly generations may have had pensions, the current elderly populations are still bringing in drastically more income per year from their investments,  per the graph below:

ad17641a9464b5a84b5b60a87cee3a36.png

Clarified that the graph shows median annual income, not net worth

On 6/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, Luv2play said:

I like to think there are three stages to being elderly. The Golden Age, the Elder Statesman (or woman), and the decrepit elderly.

I'm in the second phase. Not eagerly awaiting the third but then what's the alternative?

@Luv2play if you continue to live by your name, luv 2 play, you will not become decrepit.  

Guess I'm an exception.   Just shy of 65.  And I feel elderly in many ways.

I say old people things.  I tell young people that they'll feel differently after they have more experience.   Roll my eyes at young folk willingness to follow trends.  Couldn't name 80% of the performers if I watched the Grammys,.  I occasionally hear a phrase leave my lips that was a staple of my grandfather. 

I've been known to groan upon standing from a very low sofa.  I can't stuff my face anymore.  I no longer consider using my teeth as tools as I might have when younger.  If I slip/trip and fall like a klutz, my friends gasp and make sure I'm alright... 30 years ago, they'd have laughed their asses off.  Two years ago, I fell asleep sitting up in a chair for the first time in my life.   I feel refreshed and accomplished if I wake up in the morning and realize that I slept 8 hours without a prostate bio-run.

I spent the better part of my younger weekends in gay bars and clubs.  Not only doesnt the bar scene interest me anymore, I cringe at the idea of being one of the old guys I used to see sitting at the bar.  Even 6-8 years ago, I was perusing Grindr when traveling.   My last hire was February 2020, and I was sick with Covid 36 hours later.  Now, I'd rather read a book than deal with Grindr, rentmen, etc.  

I may not be infirm, or ready for the rocking chair.  But, at least attitudinally, I've developed many symptoms of fuddy-duddy-itis.  And the confirming symptom: I'm content with the other symptoms. 

• 2 weeks later...