65 is not elderly, damn it!

samhexum

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

...To learn that people don't want to play with her any longer, because they don't feel she is at their level, would be a crushing blow.

If I understand you correctly, there seem to be enough people kind enough to play with her such that she gets to play most days. If it would be a crushing blow to tell her that many don't want to play with her, I don't see the point in telling her. 

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

If I understand you correctly, there seem to be enough people kind enough to play with her such that she gets to play most days. If it would be a crushing blow to tell her that many don't want to play with her, I don't see the point in telling her. 

I don't want to tell her that. I want to figure out a kind way to let her know that she needs to accept that she doesn't play any longer at the level that she once did, and she needs to either deal--if possible--with the vision problems and the deterioration of her reflexes, or seek out other players who have lower expectations of their (and her) playing capabilities. She thinks she should run with the Greyhounds when she is really a Pug. (I have owned both breeds, so I know whereof I speak.) There are other players available who are at her level, but their numbers are mostly limited to the obviously elderly, not the younger men and women with whom she wants to be identified.

49 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I don't want to tell her that. I want to figure out a kind way to let her know that she needs to accept that she doesn't play any longer at the level that she once did, and she needs to either deal--if possible--with the vision problems and the deterioration of her reflexes, or seek out other players who have lower expectations of their (and her) playing capabilities. She thinks she should run with the Greyhounds when she is really a Pug. (I have owned both breeds, so I know whereof I speak.) There are other players available who are at her level, but their numbers are mostly limited to the obviously elderly, not the younger men and women with whom she wants to be identified.

Perhaps have her play tennis with @Unicorn's 103-year old friend, and if she doesn't do too well she might figure out for herself that it's time to run with the Pugs ;)    But seriously, I don't envy your situation - wanting to protect someone who hasn't accepted their decline, and not wanting to inadvertently insult them or cause them to isolate themselves from the things that have always made them happy and alive - not an easy balance to strike.

7 hours ago, augustus said:

You know you’re getting old when you can’t walk past a bathroom without thinking, “I may as well pee while I’m here".

Queen Mary is claimed to have said: “During public engagements one should sit down whenever possible and avail oneself of toilet facilities whenever the opportunity arises.”

• 1 month later...

Elderly NYC beach shark attack victim had 5 surgeries in 8 days, now has permanent disability

The 65-year-old Queens woman who narrowly survived a shark attack at Rockaway Beach earlier this month underwent five surgeries in eight days — and now has a “permanent disability,” her family said Thursday.

Tatyana Koltunyuk — who lost a large piece of her left leg above the knee —  will likely need more surgeries along with years of physical therapy, her daughter and son-in-law said.

It's so sad that this YOUNG woman not only has to live out the many years she has left with this disability, she also has to live with having been slandered by @WilliamM's favorite newspaper, the NY Post.

The first time I felt old was at 34yo.  The supermarket had a big sign posted that for alcohol purchases all shoppers who appear under 40 must show photo ID - no exceptions.  I was getting my driver's license ready when the cashier (who looked like a teenager) just told me the total, without asking for ID.  I was going to complain to the manager, but this was a couple of decades before the Karen phenomenon.

More concerning to me is the evident  "over 75 is past expiration date anyway" assumption on most testing standards by age. There are some that they don't recommend testing for serious conditions over 75 and some like below where tests for over-75's are on an "individual basis". 

It was bad enough when they told me the US male life expectancy had dropped suddenly to close to my age. Now I have no reason to look forward past 75? hmmm

Screenshot 2023-08-19 174108.png

5 hours ago, tassojunior said:

More concerning to me is the evident  "over 75 is past expiration date anyway" assumption on most testing standards by age. There are some that they don't recommend testing for serious conditions over 75 and some like below where tests for over-75's are on an "individual basis". 

It was bad enough when they told me the US male life expectancy had dropped suddenly to close to my age. Now I have no reason to look forward past 75? hmmm

Screenshot 2023-08-19 174108.png

That drop in lufe expectancy at birth is driven by overdose deaths at earlier ages plus the excess deaths from COVID. It doesn't really have much to do with the life expectancy of soneone who is currently 70something .

17 hours ago, arnemgreeves said:

65 is the retirement age in many countries in many countries. 

In my block in the US 30 is the new retirement age as young millennials' boomer parents pay $2Million cash for them houses. Our new top 10% is making vacations expensive as that's all they do. They pretend to "work" and have jobs. 

I work in financial technology and crimes.  There are "elder abuse" and "elder scam" policies that the government has. US Treasury. FinCEN. IRS. DHS. FBI. etc.

They are the ones who get to define what is "elderly" 

... at the moment, that is 65 and older. It may change, but that's the reality. 

Edited by ThroatCummer

5 hours ago, arnemgreeves said:

Elderly is retirement age. 

In Canada, 65 is when the majority of people start to collect their 'old age' pensions, and I think traditionally 65 was considered 'elderly'.  And for a long time there wasn't much of a stigma attached to it.  Now it seems nobody wants to be considered elderly, as if it's a bad thing - it doesn't have to have a negative connotation attached.  I would be happy to be considered elderly at 65, as long as I am a healthy and active elderly person.  Ultimately it's just a word, and people give it the weight they want to according to their own feelings and biases.  I read somewhere that 65 is being called 'late-middle age', which kind of made me laugh.  70 was pre-senior, 75 was senior, 80 was late senior, 85 was pre-elderly, 90 was elderly, and 95+ was late elderly.  LOL.  Its just a bunch of words to help us all deny the fact that we age... though sadly, some never get that chance, and knowing this has helped me be thankful for each additional year.

I'm over 65, work part time (by choice), volunteer regularly, travel, babysit for young relatives & friends, and exercise daily. If someone wants to consider me elderly, it doesn't alter anything in my lfe, & if they want to give me discounts, I'll gladly take advantage! The only thing that irritates me is someone calling me "young man," as if humoring me or making me feel better about being a fossil. That comes across as condescending. I know how old I am, I'm grateful for my experience & acquired wisdom, & I need nothing sugar-coated.

Edited by prof

I look forward to turning 62, at which time I can buy a lifetime pass with the National Park Service for $80! 😀 I'm glad at least the NPS will consider me "elderly"!

Infographic titled "Which Interagency Pass is Right for Me?"; detailed alt text is on the page with the infographic

1 hour ago, prof said:

I'm over 65, work part time (by choice), volunteer regularly, travel, babysit for young relatives & friends, and exercise daily. If someone wants to consider me elderly, it doesn't alter anything in my lfe, & if they want to give me discounts, I'll gladly take advantage! The only thing that irritates me is someone calling me "young man," as if humoring me or making me feel better about being a fossil. That comes across as condescending. I know how old I am, I'm grateful for my experience & acquired wisdom, & I need nothing sugar-coated.

Exactly - age is in the mindset, not the label.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 7:10 PM, samhexum said:

If I ever get my hands on the young whippersnapper who wrote this...

On 6/19/2023 at 8:11 PM, Unicorn said:

image.jpeg.539f8e6670a3d82bf7565705cc0f8378.jpeg

On 6/19/2023 at 8:16 PM, nycman said:

Episode 7 Tns GIF by THE NEXT STEP

On 6/20/2023 at 7:02 AM, Italiano said:

65 elderly?

Am I going to be an elderly man in 2 years?....😱

SEE BELOW!

On 6/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, jeezifonly said:

Last summer after a fall down the stairs, EMT’s filled out their report, referring to this guy, then 66, as “male, over 40”

Almost made the 3-night stay in the hospital worth it. 

SAME WEBSITE, DIFFERENT AUTHOR:

An elderly man was struck and killed by a dump truck while crossing the street just steps away from his home in College Point on Thursday morning. 

The 63-year-old victim, Lance Ruthkowski, resided on 14th Road, less than a block away from where he was killed. According to the NYPD, he was crossing the street southbound at the intersection of 14th Road and 115th Street.