No mask!

MassageDrew

I will follow local ordinances until they adjust, but I expect them to be fast followers.

the hypocrisy of this to me is that masks don’t really protect me from others, but rather, others from me. So, this seems to be a free pass to those who don’t have their vaccines since none of us has a way of knowing they are or aren’t

So the CDC just announced that fully vaccinated individuals do not have to wear masks in most places. So, how do you ensure that your neighborhood anti-vaccination Karens continue to wear their masks and not fake being vaccinated?

I am more concerned with the fact that I will have to start wearing makeup again! ?

In all seriousness, I will keep wearing the mask until I am good and ready!

So the CDC just announced that fully vaccinated individuals do not have to wear masks in most places. So, how do you ensure that your neighborhood anti-vaccination Karens continue to wear their masks and not fake being vaccinated?

I would stop wearing a mask ONLY after the number of daily cases in my area decreases to 2 digits.

The more virulent and sickening versions of Covid originated when 2 different strains bred into a new one, like in the case of India.

I think the CDC made the right call, though I also kinda hope masking becomes more "normal" generally. It's quite common in Asia and some other places to mask on public transit and other crowded spaces, especially during flu/cold season. I think I'll continue to do the same...wear a mask on trains, planes, ubers and probably in like busy grocery stores and shopping malls. I probably won't at bars and restaurants just because a big part of that experience is eating and drinking. I do think the risk in those settings is still pretty high for respiratory infections, but you also have to live your life to some extent.

But I have stopped wearing masks outside basically ever since I got vaccinated and not sure if ever made a ton of sense to mask outside unless you were in very crowded areas. There was just never any evidence of infection from someone passing you on the sidewalk.

Be cautious when you can but don't be paranoid/anxious about getting COVID or sick generally. My sister has had a really hard time with COVID and it's sad to see people get into these cycles of anxiety over getting sick. We're animals and that's something that can't be avoided entirely. We're also social creatures so those of us who've been responsible and taken the vaccine should feel free to live their lives as normally as possible now.

I'm having a cosmetic treatment on my face next Friday and was excited that I could wear a mask while healing and not draw attention to any bruising.

I think the CDC made the right call, though I also kinda hope masking becomes more "normal" generally. It's quite common in Asia and some other places to mask on public transit and other crowded spaces, especially during flu/cold season.

Pus, Sam, you have all those masks you bought to complement various outfits and you can't let them to to waste. I have bought a few, and researched others, for example football teams and indigenous designs.

I agree that mask wearing will be seen as more normal (even if the MAGA Karens don't agree), and I can remember suggesting in about April last year that as a result of the pandemic people will no longer look at you as if you have two heads when you wear one. (Or words to that effect.) It occurred to me a couple of days ago that masks might replace (or add to) ties as a way men can make a fashion (or other) statement. A journalist on TV the other night was wearing a fetching tie with quokkas on it, and thought I want one of those, but remembered I almost never wear a tie now. I decided that a mask of the same fabric would be a great idea. Now all I have to do is find one.

I am more concerned with the fact that I will have to start wearing makeup again! ?

In all seriousness, I will keep wearing the mask until I am good and ready!

Slapped on some Dermablend, and some sun kissed bronzer, and am headed into work in Manhattan today, sans mask (but I WILL have it with me)....:cool:

I hate to say it but Darwinism will take care of them.

Or, maybe they’ll become the proof that things weren’t as bad (beyond the known risk factors) as we were told?

Remember, mask mandates were (correctly) intended to protect the at risk groups from the general population.

Absent risk factors, adverse outcomes in the general population are extremely rare.

Or, maybe they’ll become the proof that things weren’t as bad (beyond the known risk factors) as we were told?

Remember, mask mandates were (correctly) intended to protect the at risk groups from the general population.

Absent risk factors, adverse outcomes in the general population are extremely rare.

Better safe than sorry. Who can say who is part of a risk group and who isn’t? I saw a couple of weeks ago an overweight young man calling himself healthy and saying he didn’t want to be vaccinated...

Mask mandates expire in my city today. I rarely wear a mask outdoors, but will continue to do so while at the grocery store or on a plane. One of my friends calls the fully vaccinated who still wear masks everywhere and even while driving “bitter-Enders”. I believe it may be a badge of some sort.

Maybe those masked drivers work for Uber or maybe they put it on and forgot about it. I wouldn't mock folks for being overly cautious but I do mock those who distrust science, believe in conspiracy theories or simply think Covid-19 is nothing but a hoax.

at least your friend doesn't call mask drivers sissies.

Edited by marylander1940

Better safe than sorry. Who can say who is part of a risk group and who isn’t? I saw a couple of weeks ago an overweight young man calling himself healthy and saying he didn’t want to be vaccinated...

This is Nature's way of thinning the herd and concrete proof of Darwinian principles. For all those, masked or not, who refuse to get the vaccine*, so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight. It's not like there are too few stupid people in the world.

*Excepting, of course, those unable to be vaccinated for valid medical reasons.

Mask-wearing regulations are still up to local or national authorities, regardless of CDC recommendations. The federal government still requires masks on public transportation and planes. Our city has numerous mask regulations, including a rule that masks must be worn on downtown commercial streets, and city council still hasn't changed that. Businesses like grocery stores can probably still set their own rules regarding masks if there is no directive from local or state officials. Yesterday afternoon, a group of us neighbors, all fully vaccinated and unmasked, were playing a board game in the game room of the Lodge in our gated residential community, and were informed by the staff that we had to put on our masks, because the HOA board of directors had not yet met to change their mask directive for all indoor activities in communal facilities.

In the immediate future, I think there will be a lot of confusion and controversy about what is allowed where.

This is Nature's way of thinning the herd and concrete proof of Darwinian principles. For all those, masked or not, who refuse to get the vaccine*, so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight. It's not like there are too few stupid people in the world.

*Excepting, of course, those unable to be vaccinated for valid medical reasons.

Countdown till some folks calling you an elitist...

width=472pxhttps://i.makeagif.com/media/5-06-2016/qm3cqt.gif[/img]

Countdown till some folks calling you an elitist...

width=472pxhttps://i.makeagif.com/media/5-06-2016/qm3cqt.gif[/img]

A label I might, in some ways, merit. Like H. L. Mencken, I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. I also don't think the human race will improve itself substantially until it gets better members. I am ever hopeful, but grow less optimistic as I read the news.

VIRAL LOAD, VIRAL LOAD, VIRAL LOAD.

Even the youngest athletes with the strongest immune systems have fallen.

That's how this virus gets you and authorities fail to recognize and communicate this to the population.

When you expose yourself so much that the accumulated viral load is just unbearable for your immune system.

I'm already vaccinated but wouldn't take any risks because the vaccine is no insurance but just 1 additional layer of protection.

Edited by lonely_john

I went into a convenience store today wearing my mask and the unmasked cashier gave me the "stink-eye". I never said anything to her or even looked at her funny. I can only conclude she hated that I was wearing a mask and wanted to indicate her disapproval. I do live in a heavily Republican area of Michigan, so I have been seeing plenty of "never-maskers" throughout the pandemic. Roughly five weeks ago, my county had the highest infection rate in the state and one of the highest in the country. No surprise since there are so many deniers and Kool-Aid drinkers in this area.