No mask!

MassageDrew

I hope the anti-maskers will remember that some of those vaccinated adults may continue to wear a mask because they are around children not yet vaccinated. If someone wants to take an extra margin of safety, no matter how small, to protect kids, they should be respected, not harassed.

I'm all for choice, but I think this argument is flawed. If the science suggests the chance of anyone vaccinated getting and then spreading it is SO low, how does a mask protect children? Or anyone for that matter? It's the unvaccinated children (or adults) that should be wearing the masks, right?

The "oh so cautious" CDC would never allow indoor maskless vaccinated people if there was more than an infinitesimal chance of catching or spreading the virus.

I want to know how Bill Maher and now 8 members of the Yankees organization, ALL fully Vaccinated, have tested positive in the last couple days.

Just like everyone else who is not vaccinated and tested positive: he came into contact with the virus by kissing he aunt. ? The vaccine is not 100% effective when it comes to preventing infection - breakthrough infections of those already vaccinated were expected. The difference is that Bill Maher tweeted that he feels fine despite having caught the virus, has no symptoms and will self isolate until he tests negative. Without the vaccine he would not be that lucky.

I've noticed walking around the hood that while last week 75% or so were wearing masks outdoors on the sidewalks, under half are this week. And a lot are cheating not covering their nose in stores. Most masked are virtue-signaling, afraid someone will think they're Republicans.

Funny that every time I get off the plane in Florida I rarely see any more masks. Like they never had covid.

I have some breathing problems so I'm glad to be rid of the near suffocation for the summer. But come cold weather I'll mask more again to avoid flu and new viruses. The big deal in DC is when the gay bars will legally be 100% capacity. DC's very bar/cafe centered.

Edited by tassojunior

Just like everyone else who is not vaccinated and tested positive: he came into contact with the virus by kissing he aunt. ? The vaccine is not 100% effective when it comes to preventing infection - breakthrough infections of those already vaccinated were expected. The difference is that Bill Maher tweeted that he feels fine despite having caught the virus, has no symptoms and will self isolate until he tests negative. Without the vaccine he would not be that lucky.

Bill is very much a friend of MaryJane - I suspect he shared a joint! ??

MJ-outside.jpg

Breaking: Trader Joe's becomes the first chain to drop all mask requirements. I have to walk over and get some milk soon at my Millenial/hipster TJ's and this may get interesting. (I'll wear one anyway). You have to wear masks here to prove you're not a Republican, most especially TJ's. Has little to do with covid.

By next week I'm sure many or most chains will follow.

Breaking: Trader Joe's becomes the first chain to drop all mask requirements. I have to walk over and get some milk soon at my Millenial/hipster TJ's and this may get interesting. (I'll wear one anyway). You have to wear masks here to prove you're not a Republican, most especially TJ's. Has little to do with covid.

By next week I'm sure many or most chains will follow.

Doesn't DC still have a local mask mandate? That would supersede whatever Trader Joe's wants to do.

Doesn't DC still have a local mask mandate? That would supersede whatever Trader Joe's wants to do.

I'm not sure. About to find out. I assume it'll still be masked. TJ's has a lot of checkers and no self-check at all.

Edit. DC must have its own grocery mask law b/c everyone had one on in store. On the crowded sidewalk outside though only about 25% had masks on. A third of last week.

Edited by tassojunior

What I find really irksome is that for 15 or so months, all we’ve been told is “we need to follow the science”. We have, and that’s what has allowed us to get to this point. Now, it’s “I want to see the science” to explain the revised CDC guidance. You can’t have it both ways. The science behind this new guidance is that they’ve found the risk of transmitting or catching the virus if one is fully vaccinated has such a low probability, that masks aren’t necessary for those in this cohort. Simple.

I think the problem will be that because we are a federal republic, the CDC guidance is just that, guidance. The CDC has no power to enforce or relax restrictions/mandates nationally. State, and local governments can continue to enforce their own mask mandates, and restrictions. But, since they’ve all cited “CDC guidance” ad infinitum to justify their covid restrictions/mandates, chances are people are going to go with the CDC, regardless of what the state or locality has to say.

If nothing else, (beyond confusion), comes from this latest guidance, it may result in jump starting our stalled vaccination efforts. Imagine how the anti-vaxers would react if, even with this new guidance, businesses, and venues opted to restrict services/admittance to only the vaccinated? Want to go to a Broadway show, a baseball/football/hockey/ basketball/etc. game, a NASCAR event, a concert, a movie, a live show, etc. - prove you’re vaccinated first. I have no problem with this. Vax up or shut up.

For the record, I am beyond delighted to drop the masks! Since the previous guidance on not needing to wear one outside if fully vaccinated, I’ve been pretty much maskless during my daily wanderings - but I do still carry one in case I’m stopping at the shop for anything. I’ll still carry the mask, as I recognise private businesses can still require them. But, unlike others, I hope masks will be consigned to the trash-bin of history, and not become an ubiquitous part of our lives, fashion statement or not.

I want to know how Bill Maher and now 8 members of the Yankees organization, ALL fully Vaccinated, have tested positive in the last couple days.

The Yankees received the J&J shot, which I believe many baseball teams did, just because it was easier to vaccinate a large # of people with a one-dose vaccine. BTW, Gleyber caught covid last winter, so he's really snake-bitten.

While the J&J vaccine is considered to be as effective as the Phizer & Moderna shots in preventing serious illness, it's only supposed to be 65% effective in stopping Covid infections from happening, so...

Yankee announcer (& Danny Aiello's nephew) Michael Kay brought up a good point today on his radio show... The Yankees are tested EVERY day, so you're getting all these positives. Only one (Phil Nevin) was symptomatic, and he's now asymptomatic. So if none of these positive Yankee cases are having bad experiences, perhaps there are many more "breakthrough" cases happening in the vaccinated population at large, but we just don't know about them because they're not being tested everyday, and they are asymptomatic, so they don't know they've caught it.

Edited by samhexum

But, unlike others, I hope masks will be consigned to the trash-bin of history, and not become an ubiquitous part of our lives, fashion statement or not.

That's like ties in a way, there are people who love, who are indifferent to and people who hate them. None of them really care what members in a different group do or think. With any luck, attitudes to masks will be the same.

Edited by mike carey

What You Should Know About the Possibility of COVID-19 Illness After Vaccination

While these vaccines are effective, no vaccine prevents illness 100 percent of the time. For any vaccines, there are breakthrough cases. With effectiveness of 90 percent or higher, a small percentage of people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will still get sick and some may be hospitalized or die from COVID-19. It’s also possible that some fully vaccinated people might have infections, but not have symptoms (asymptomatic infections).

cdc-logo_0_0-150x125.png

I agree with the point made above about asymptomatic infections. This suggests vaccinated people who get infected but are asymptomatic and have no idea they have COVID are going to be giving it to unvaccinated people who are maskless.

Is this math right? It seems like the risks to the unmasked and unvaccinated go up. They have the same underlying health exposure they had before. But now there are a lot fewer people wearing masks. And there's some chance those people may have asymptomatic COVID, even though they were vaccinated. We'll know more in three or six months. But while the risk for the vaccinated clearly goes down, for the unvaccinated it may go up. This is especially true if it is in crowded indoor spaces - a bar, an airplane, a crowded work space, a concert.

If I'm right, hopefully the people who choose to stay unvaccinated are ones that are younger or healthier and feel they're not really taking a big risk anyway. If the bet pays off - they get COVID, and sail through it - it actually moves us closer to herd immunity. The people who could really pay for this are the ones who are unvaccinated and older or less healthy. The pressure will be on them to stay masked, or get the jab.

Pollster Frank Luntz was just on the Daily Show and he said his polling shows three apolitical messages that are effective in persuading the vaccine hesitant: 1) Listen to your doctor, who knows what it good for your health. 2) 9 out of 10 doctors have been vaccinated. What do they know that you don't? 3) Do it for your loved ones. Those are all good statements.

Edited by stevenkesslar

What You Should Know About the Possibility of COVID-19 Illness After Vaccination

cdc-logo_0_0-150x125.png

I agree with the point made above about asymptomatic infections. This suggests vaccinated people who get infected but are asymptomatic and have no idea they have COVID are going to be giving it to unvaccinated people who are maskless.

Is this math right? It seems like the risks to the unmasked and unvaccinated go up. They have the same underlying health exposure they had before. But now there are a lot fewer people wearing masks. And there's some chance those people may have asymptomatic COVID, even though they were vaccinated. We'll know more in three or six months. But while the risk for the vaccinated clearly goes down, for the unvaccinated it may go up. This is especially true if it is in crowded indoor spaces - a bar, an airplane, a crowded work space, a concert.

If I'm right, hopefully the people who choose to stay unvaccinated are ones that are younger or healthier and feel they're not really taking a big risk anyway. If the bet pays off - they get COVID, and sail through it - it actually moves us closer to herd immunity. The people who could really pay for this are the ones who are unvaccinated and older or less healthy. The pressure will be on them to stay masked, or get the jab.

Frank Luntz was just on the Daily Show and he said his polling shows three apolitical messages that are effective in persuading the vaccine hesitant: 1) Listen to your doctor, who knows what it good for your health. 2) 9 out of 10 doctors have been vaccinated. What do they know that you don't? 3) Do it for your loved ones. Those are all good statements.

Today in Manhattan it was like a LIBERATION DAY of UN-masked citizens...... They didnt waste any time throwing off those masks, and I am certain tons of them were UN-vaxed ! Even the street vendors selling masks seemed to have disappeared.

Today in Manhattan it was like a LIBERATION DAY of UN-masked citizens...... They didnt waste any time throwing off those masks, and I am certain tons of them were UN-vaxed ! Even the street vendors selling masks seemed to have disappeared.

This is all a giant science experiment. But one way to look at it is that we are going to arrive at herd immunity. The real question is HOW we get there. So you can get it artificially, through a vaccine. The goal now is for at least 70 % of adults to get immunity that way. Or you can get it naturally, through an infection. There will definitely be some people who get it both ways. Although for them all the best science - so far - is that their actual health risks are much lower thanks to the vaccines.

I read somewhere that in the control groups some of the unvaccinated people who got COVID did die. Nobody vaccinated in a control group who became symptomatic died. I'm not sure if that was for one of the vaccines, or all of them. Buy as we learned with the J & J blood clots things will probably show up that didn't in the control groups. So it's probably only a matter of time until somebody who was fully vaccinated but has underlying health conditions dies. If you read that whole CDC thing above it does say that even if you are vaccinated and become symptomatic your risks of serious illness are lower than if you hadn't been vaccinated.

Despite this, some fully vaccinated people will still be hospitalized and die. However, the overall risk of hospitalization and death among fully vaccinated people will be much lower than among people with similar risk factors who are not vaccinated.

This is all a giant science experiment. But one way to look at it is that we are going to arrive at herd immunity. The real question is HOW we get there. So you can get it artificially, through a vaccine. The goal now is for at least 70 % of adults to get immunity that way. Or you can get it naturally, through an infection. There will definitely be some people who get it both ways. Although for them all the best science - so far - is that their actual health risks are much lower thanks to the vaccines.

I read somewhere that in the control groups some of the unvaccinated people who got COVID did die. Nobody vaccinated in a control group who became symptomatic died. I'm not sure if that was for one of the vaccines, or all of them. Buy as we learned with the J & J blood clots things will probably show up that didn't in the control groups. So it's probably only a matter of time until somebody who was fully vaccinated but has underlying health conditions dies. If you read that whole CDC thing above it does say that even if you are vaccinated and become symptomatic your risks of serious illness are lower than if you hadn't been vaccinated.

People are being too fast to jump the gun. All that was missing today in NYC was confetti cannons. ! ?

Frank Luntz

I wouldn’t be so quick to cite him as a legitimate pollster. He’s been heavily criticized, and censored by the AAPOR and the NCOPP for refusing to release data to support his claimed results, and for misrepresenting poll results of others to support his results.

He’s so thin skinned about any criticism, he stopped funding a scholarship at U of PA after an audio recording of him on campus was used in a critical article about him in a conservative, though not right wing, publication.

He’s been dropped as a commentator by most of the news orgs - MSNBC, CNN - even Fox. I’m actually surprised he was TDS - I suppose that’s the only type of booking he can get anymore.

I have read that some fully vaccinated people did acquire COVID and subsequently died. A very small number at this point but not nil. And a few more got seriously ill and ended up in ICUs. These reports did not give specifics like age of patients and underlying conditions, which would have given a clearer picture.

I wouldn’t be so quick to cite him as a legitimate pollster. He’s been heavily criticized, and censored by the AAPOR and the NCOPP for refusing to release data to support his claimed results, and for misrepresenting poll results of others to support his results.

He’s so thin skinned about any criticism, he stopped funding a scholarship at U of PA after an audio recording of him on campus was used in a critical article about him in a conservative, though not right wing, publication.

He’s been dropped as a commentator by most of the news orgs - MSNBC, CNN - even Fox. I’m actually surprised he was TDS - I suppose that’s the only type of booking he can get anymore.

So apart from all that, what's wrong with his 3 messages?

So apart from all that, what's wrong with his 3 messages?

If he’s just offering them up as reasons to be vaccinated, nothing. But if he claimed they were somehow related to, or a result of some polling he did, then that’s suspect.

A broken can still have the correct time twice a day, but I just don’t think he’s credible, period.