Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

My pot dealer used to bring me a box of food nearly every week that her friends had gotten from their synagogue. That lasted a little over a year, then stopped around the start of the pandemic.

So... I have my last grocery delivery scheduled for Thursday (before I return to the stores, fully vaxed). Friday night my dealer calls me and asks if I'd eat frozen meals... her 98 year old neighbor gets frozen meals delivered to him by some senior service and he doesn't eat them.

She just dropped off 25 meals (plus a bag of those hospital-style juice cups of OJ & AJ & four loose kiwis). If I tried hard, I'd be able to fit a few sheets of paper in the freezer now. Time to adjust that grocery order.

There are a few that I like everything; most of them either the entree or one or both of the sides are good; there are only 3 that I don't know if I'll like anything, and I can always throw them out.

Of course, given that these are for seniors, there's probably one grain of salt in them, so we'll see how it goes.

Anybody want come chick pea stew or steamed kale?

When you have some brisket with latkes, give me a call......;)

I guess it's a coincidence that the day after the "potentially inflationary" stimulus bill passed my Whole Foods raised their price for their big prepared 2-sides and entree meals-to-go from $9 to $12 (for veggie or poultry). That was a shock as I get those a lot. Then next day Colada close to me raised their Cuban sandwich menu from $10 to $13. Fuckin fuck. I'm old to learn how to cook.

You can't make a sandwich? :rolleyes:;)

In the general sense gone and never to return. Other than being able to have a nice conversation with the person checking me out I am glad that it is gone. I don't want to lie and will qualify that general statement. If an item is such that I really need to touch and/or see it (like some fruits and vegetables, cuts of meats/poultry, and occasionally loaves of bread) I might stop in a shop. Otherwise for me delivery is the name of the game.

I could never do grocery pickup or delivery. I want to pick out all my own stuff. Especially produce and I like to check expiration dates on products. I saw an instore shopper not even check on a carton of eggs they were picking to make sure they were all good. Just took the first one and put it in their basket and kept on going.

I could never do grocery pickup or delivery. I want to pick out all my own stuff. Especially produce and I like to check expiration dates on products. I saw an instore shopper not even check on a carton of eggs they were picking to make sure they were all good. Just took the first one and put it in their basket and kept on going.

half the time i get home with a busted egg or two.

there's an expiration date ?

on the brown ones and the white ones?

do you have to have an app?

Ever since the grocery stores can increase the number of shoppers in their stores in California, Trader Joe's in Pacific Grove, CA (Monterey Peninsula) has not had a lot of people in its store. I've loved it, but what I do not like is the ever-continuing increase in the prices of many items: eggs, strawberries (...strange for this area, for we have lots of organic and non-organic fields of veggies throughout the Central Coast.)

The times that I've gone to Whole Foods I've found a limited number of shoppers. I'm elated about this, for the aisles are narrow, and unfortunately, I've found the shoppers there to be not too cognizant in their distancing. Now we have to clean our own baskets upon our entering.

...just returned from shopping at both stores. ...prefer the protocols and the customer relations at TJ's vs WF's.

yup, something about Trader Joe's is always just so effective and smooth, like a well-oiled machine.....I think it's the only store I've seen that had consistent door monitoring and cart cleaning since way back in early pandemic times.......must be that efficient German ownership!!......

https://www.businessinsider.com/albrecht-family-aldi-fortune-heirs-net-worth-secretive-lifestyle-photos-2019-3

During the height of the pandemic here in NYC, there were capacity limits for grocery stores. If memory serves, it was 10 shoppers at a time. Same for pharmacies like CVS, and Duane Reade. I don’t remember waiting terribly long on line when I went grocery shopping, and if I just needed say milk or eggs, there was always my corner bodega.

I don’t recall when the capacity limits were lifted, but it’s at least since last summer, and I’ve been doing my big biweekly shop in person since. I’ve never felt unsafe shopping in person - everyone is masked, and while store size, aisle width may not be conducive to proper social distancing, it’s much better than what one encounters on the subway or buses. It also allows me the chance to run into neighbours that I haven’t seen much of, if at all, over the past 14+ months.

yup, something about Trader Joe's is always just so effective and smooth, like a well-oiled machine.....I think it's the only store I've seen that had consistent door monitoring and cart cleaning since way back in early pandemic times.......must be that efficient German ownership!!......

https://www.businessinsider.com/albrecht-family-aldi-fortune-heirs-net-worth-secretive-lifestyle-photos-2019-3

Yes, TJ was the only grocery store I patronized in the early days of the epidemic that actually did count the number of customers and wouldn't let anyone in over the limit. There was always a line waiting outside, socially distanced, until someone left the store and the next person on line could enter. They also didn't even let anyone bring their own TJ bags into the store. Now, except for the mask requirement, they are just like every other store here in Palm Springs.

• 3 weeks later...

BIG NEWS!!!

I was considered fully vaccinated on 5/14. I went to a warehouse club that day for a couple of bulk items, but tonight I returned to ShopRite for the first time since Thanksgiving. I had to wait 15 minutes for a handicapped cart to become available. I went at 8:30 PM, which is NOT a good time… people shouldn’t be allowed to shop at the same time I do. 11PM- 6 AM is my sweet spot, and I shant vary from it again.

ShopRite isn’t requiring masks anymore (StopNShop still does). I’d forgotten to bring a disposable mask with me. I have a spare in my car, but I also keep a cloth mask my sister gave me at the start of the pandemic in the little bag I carry around with my wallet, phone etc. (yes, I call it my purse, though it isn’t one), so I put it on, just because most of the other shoppers were wearing one, and I didn’t want to make anyone uncomfortable. I’d forgotten how much warmer and not so easy to breathe it is compared to the disposable ones. I went from wearing it right, to pulling it down under my nose, to just letting it dangle from my left ear.

But none of that is the BIG NEWS!!!. The only thing that never goes on sale for delivery orders is soda. It came out a little cheaper to order 1.25L bottles of Coke Zero via delivery, so I had not bought any 2L bottles since Thanksgiving. I got the maximum of 16. 12 fit in my shopping cart to bring upstairs, so I still have 4 in my trunk.

My friend and I both agreed it wasn’t the life-changing experience we were both expecting upon our return there. I expected at least a mariachi band out front to welcome me back.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by samhexum

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get great meal help and so much more at wegmans.com. Browse thousands of items with prices and create your shopping list with our online builder.Most store-backed programs specify that shoppers don't accept tips. If you are shopping at a store that partners with Instacart, however, shoppers accept tips through the app (this is a bulk of their take-home pay). You should tip as generously as possible; 20 percent at the very least.wegmans

On 5/2/2021 at 8:38 PM, marylander1940 said:

You can't make a sandwich? :rolleyes:;)

WF's and TJ's prices have risen along with other grocery stores.  It's quite up setting, I know.  It's too bad that individuals' checks or retirement income do not increase along with price increases.

To date I am more bothered about the increase in petro.  When I fill up my Volvo S80, it cost about $60.  Because of this I try not to drive to San Francisco more than once or twice per month.

• 1 month later...

The last couple of weeks, I've changed my schedule a little and did my shopping early Sunday morning.  I'm going to make a change to routine and stick with that for a while.  Why shop on Sunday?

Each of the last two weeks, the local fire department has had its hook and ladder truck in the parking lot which has meant I have the opportunity to follow the well built firefighters through the store!  What a beautiful way to start the day.

17 hours ago, sam.fitzpatrick said:

The last couple of weeks, I've changed my schedule a little and did my shopping early Sunday morning.  I'm going to make a change to routine and stick with that for a while.  Why shop on Sunday?

Each of the last two weeks, the local fire department has had its hook and ladder truck in the parking lot which has meant I have the opportunity to follow the well built firefighters through the store!  What a beautiful way to start the day.

Why are firefighters so preoccupied with where their next meal is coming from? I think they spend way more time shopping, cooking and eating than fighting fires. Can’t they just work 8 hours then go home and eat like normal people?

32 minutes ago, Gadfly22 said:

Why are firefighters so preoccupied with where their next meal is coming from? I think they spend way more time shopping, cooking and eating than fighting fires. Can’t they just work 8 hours then go home and eat like normal people?

paging @ffdave  paging @ffdave  white courtesy telephone for an important message!

23 minutes ago, ffdave said:

And watch out for a reality show called “LA Fire and Rescue” coming out in spring which will show you more in the daily life of firefighters !

Might I see you in it? Can’t get more real than “Emergency!” though. I used to watch that back in the day. In fact I watched it during lunch today - first time in years. Randolph Mantooth was so cute! Who is Rampart, BTW?