Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

I do most of my grocery shopping at Smith's (Kroger) and Trader Joe's.  At Smiths, I've definitely noticed prices creeping up, but more than that, I notice that far fewer items go on sale and when they do, the percentage discount is a lot less than in the past.

At TJ's on the other hand, I haven't noticed any increases at all, at least not on any items I buy regularly.  It amazes me that they've been able to keep prices so low.

Unfortunately, TJ's is pretty far from me (I do a big shop only once/month) whereas Smiths is less than a mile.  The cheapest gas is still $4.59/gallon in my area.

7 hours ago, BSR said:

I do most of my grocery shopping at Smith's (Kroger) and Trader Joe's.  At Smiths, I've definitely noticed prices creeping up, but more than that, I notice that far fewer items go on sale and when they do, the percentage discount is a lot less than in the past.

At TJ's on the other hand, I haven't noticed any increases at all, at least not on any items I buy regularly.  It amazes me that they've been able to keep prices so low.

Unfortunately, TJ's is pretty far from me (I do a big shop only once/month) whereas Smiths is less than a mile.  The cheapest gas is still $4.59/gallon in my area.

I've noticed a little price creep at Trader Joe's; nothing exceptional.  BUT...many items are out of stock.  Cream cheese, for example, comes and goes.  All of the cereals I prefer have been out of stock for at least 8 weeks.  I used to do the majority of my shopping there; I've cut my visits by 50% as a result.

9 hours ago, samhexum said:

I have noticed that, for at least a month or so, many of the cheap brands and/or store brands have been out of stock when I've looked to place an order online.  Stop & Shop offers 22 varieties of cereal online; 19 of them have been out of stock for weeks.

Gas prices have been coming down in the past month; grocery prices haven't seemed to decline at all (from what I've seen), and people's buying habits are clearly still being affected.

f7709c80f4ac013abab5005056a9545d

When I saw this on the comics page a half hour ago, I said to myself, "I'll bet samhexum will post this in the 'grocery shopping' thread."

• 1 month later...

If you're ever near the ShopRite in New Hyde Park, NY, go in and groove to the music.  It's usually a great selection of 70s & 80s stuff.  I'm sure I'm quite the sight, zipping around in a handicapped cart, singing along off-key to songs that were hits probably before most of the employees were born.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

As awareness grows around the world about the problem of food waste, one culprit in particular is drawing scrutiny: “best before” labels.

Manufacturers have used the labels for decades to estimate peak freshness. Unlike “use by” labels, which are found on perishable foods like meat and dairy, “best before” labels have nothing to do with safety and may encourage consumers to throw away food that’s perfectly fine to eat.

“They read these dates and then they assume that it’s bad, they can’t eat it and they toss it, when these dates don’t actually mean that they’re not edible or they’re not still nutritious or tasty,” said Patty Apple, a manager at Food Shift, an Alameda, California, nonprofit that collects and uses expired or imperfect foods.

To tackle the problem, major U.K. chains like Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Marks & Spencer recently removed “best before” labels from prepackaged fruit and vegetables. The European Union is expected to announce a revamp to its labeling laws by the end of this year; it’s considering abolishing “best before” labels altogether.

In the U.S., there’s no similar push to scrap “best before” labels. But there is growing momentum to standardize the language on date labels to help educate buyers about food waste, including a push from big grocers and food companies and bipartisan legislation in Congress.

“I do think that the level of support for this has grown tremendously,” said Dana Gunders, executive director of ReFED, a New York-based nonprofit that studies food waste.

The United Nations estimates that 17% of global food production is wasted each year; most of that comes from households. In the U.S., as much as 35% of food available goes uneaten, ReFED says. That adds up to a lot of wasted energy — including the water, land and labor that goes into the food production — and higher greenhouse gas emissions when unwanted food goes into landfills.

There are many reasons food gets wasted, from large portion sizes to customers’ rejection of imperfect produce. But ReFED estimates that 7% of U.S. food waste — or 4 million tons annually — is due to consumer confusion over “best before” labels.

Date labels were widely adopted by manufacturers in the 1970s to answer consumers’ concerns about product freshness. There are no federal rules governing them, and manufacturers are allowed to determine when they believe their products will taste best. Only infant formula is required to have a “use by” date in the U.S.

Since 2019, the Food and Drug Administration — which regulates around 80% of U.S. food — has recommended that manufacturers use the labels “best if used by” for freshness and “use by” for perishable goods, based on surveys showing that consumers understand those phrases.

But the effort is voluntary, and the language on labels continues to vary widely, from “sell by” to “enjoy by” to “freshest before.” A survey released in June by researchers at the University of Maryland found at least 50 different date labels used on U.S. grocery shelves and widespread confusion among customers.

“Most people believe that if it says ‘sell by,’ ‘best by’ or ‘expiration,’ you can’t eat any of them. That’s not actually accurate,” said Richard Lipsit, who owns a Grocery Outlet store in Pleasanton, California, that specializes in discounted food.

Lipsit said milk can be safely consumed up to a week after its “use by” date. Gunders said canned goods and many other packaged foods can be safely eaten for years after their “best before” date. The FDA suggests consumers look for changes in color, consistency or texture to determine if foods are all right to eat.

“Our bodies are very well equipped to recognize the signs of decay, when food is past its edible point,” Gunders said. “We’ve lost trust in those senses and we’ve replaced it with trust in these dates.”

Some U.K. grocery chains are actively encouraging customers to use their senses. Morrisons removed “use by” dates from most store-brand milk in January and replaced them with a “best before” label. Co-op, another grocery chain, did the same to its store-brand yogurts.

It’s a change some shoppers support. Ellie Spanswick, a social media marketer in Falmouth, England, buys produce, eggs and other groceries at farm stands and local shops when she can. The food has no labels, she said, but it’s easy to see that it’s fresh.

“The last thing we need to be doing is wasting more food and money because it has a label on it telling us it’s past being good for eating,” Spanswick said.

But not everyone agrees. Ana Wetrov of London, who runs a home renovation business with her husband, worries that without labels, staff might not know which items should be removed from shelves. She recently bought a pineapple and only realized after she cut into it that it was rotting in the middle.

“We have had dates on those packages for the last 20 years or so. Why fix it when it’s not broken?” Wetrov said.

Some U.S. chains — including Walmart — have shifted their store brands to standardized “best if used by” and “use by” labels. The Consumer Brands Association — which represents big food companies like General Mills and Dole — also encourages members to use those labels.

Some U.S. chains — including Walmart — have shifted their store brands to standardized “best if used by” and “use by” labels. The Consumer Brands Association — which represents big food companies like General Mills and Dole — also encourages members to use those labels.

“Uniformity makes it much more simple for our companies to manufacture products and keep the prices lower,” said Katie Denis, the association’s vice president of communications.

In the absence of federal policy, states have stepped in with their own laws, frustrating food companies and grocers. Florida and Nevada, for example, require “sell by” dates on shellfish and dairy, and Arizona requires “best by” or “use by” dates on eggs, according to Emily Broad Lieb, director of the Food Law and Policy Clinic at Harvard Law SchoolThe confusion has led some companies, like Unilever, to support legislation currently in Congress that would standardize U.S. date labels and ensure that food could be donated to rescue organizations even after its quality date. At least 20 states currently prohibit the sale or donation of food after the date listed on the label because of liability fears, Lieb said.   excellent idea, though somebody will probably block it in Congress.

Clearer labeling and donation rules could help nonprofits like Food Shift, which trains chefs using rescued food. It even makes dog treats from overripe bananas, recovered chicken fat and spent grain from a brewer, Apple said.

“We definitely need to be focusing more on doing these small actions like addressing expiration date labels, because even though it’s such a tiny part of this whole food waste issue, it can be very impactful,” Apple said.  I'm usually pretty good about this, but not for ethical or ecological reasons... I'm too cheap to throw out anything edible.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/07/are-best-before-labels-garbage-when-to-really-toss-out-food/

On 10/7/2022 at 7:01 PM, samhexum said:

As awareness grows around the world about the problem of food waste, one culprit in particular is drawing scrutiny: “best before” labels.

Manufacturers have used the labels for decades to estimate peak freshness. Unlike “use by” labels, which are found on perishable foods like meat and dairy, “best before” labels have nothing to do with safety and may encourage consumers to throw away food that’s perfectly fine to eat.

“They read these dates and then they assume that it’s bad, they can’t eat it and they toss it, when these dates don’t actually mean that they’re not edible or they’re not still nutritious or tasty,” said Patty Apple, a manager at Food Shift, an Alameda, California, nonprofit that collects and uses expired or imperfect foods.

To tackle the problem, major U.K. chains like Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Marks & Spencer recently removed “best before” labels from prepackaged fruit and vegetables. The European Union is expected to announce a revamp to its labeling laws by the end of this year; it’s considering abolishing “best before” labels altogether.

In the U.S., there’s no similar push to scrap “best before” labels. But there is growing momentum to standardize the language on date labels to help educate buyers about food waste, including a push from big grocers and food companies and bipartisan legislation in Congress.

“I do think that the level of support for this has grown tremendously,” said Dana Gunders, executive director of ReFED, a New York-based nonprofit that studies food waste.

The United Nations estimates that 17% of global food production is wasted each year; most of that comes from households. In the U.S., as much as 35% of food available goes uneaten, ReFED says. That adds up to a lot of wasted energy — including the water, land and labor that goes into the food production — and higher greenhouse gas emissions when unwanted food goes into landfills.

There are many reasons food gets wasted, from large portion sizes to customers’ rejection of imperfect produce. But ReFED estimates that 7% of U.S. food waste — or 4 million tons annually — is due to consumer confusion over “best before” labels.

Date labels were widely adopted by manufacturers in the 1970s to answer consumers’ concerns about product freshness. There are no federal rules governing them, and manufacturers are allowed to determine when they believe their products will taste best. Only infant formula is required to have a “use by” date in the U.S.

Since 2019, the Food and Drug Administration — which regulates around 80% of U.S. food — has recommended that manufacturers use the labels “best if used by” for freshness and “use by” for perishable goods, based on surveys showing that consumers understand those phrases.

But the effort is voluntary, and the language on labels continues to vary widely, from “sell by” to “enjoy by” to “freshest before.” A survey released in June by researchers at the University of Maryland found at least 50 different date labels used on U.S. grocery shelves and widespread confusion among customers.

“Most people believe that if it says ‘sell by,’ ‘best by’ or ‘expiration,’ you can’t eat any of them. That’s not actually accurate,” said Richard Lipsit, who owns a Grocery Outlet store in Pleasanton, California, that specializes in discounted food.

Lipsit said milk can be safely consumed up to a week after its “use by” date. Gunders said canned goods and many other packaged foods can be safely eaten for years after their “best before” date. The FDA suggests consumers look for changes in color, consistency or texture to determine if foods are all right to eat.

“Our bodies are very well equipped to recognize the signs of decay, when food is past its edible point,” Gunders said. “We’ve lost trust in those senses and we’ve replaced it with trust in these dates.”

Some U.K. grocery chains are actively encouraging customers to use their senses. Morrisons removed “use by” dates from most store-brand milk in January and replaced them with a “best before” label. Co-op, another grocery chain, did the same to its store-brand yogurts.

It’s a change some shoppers support. Ellie Spanswick, a social media marketer in Falmouth, England, buys produce, eggs and other groceries at farm stands and local shops when she can. The food has no labels, she said, but it’s easy to see that it’s fresh.

“The last thing we need to be doing is wasting more food and money because it has a label on it telling us it’s past being good for eating,” Spanswick said.

But not everyone agrees. Ana Wetrov of London, who runs a home renovation business with her husband, worries that without labels, staff might not know which items should be removed from shelves. She recently bought a pineapple and only realized after she cut into it that it was rotting in the middle.

“We have had dates on those packages for the last 20 years or so. Why fix it when it’s not broken?” Wetrov said.

“Uniformity makes it much more simple for our companies to manufacture products and keep the prices lower,” said Katie Denis, the association’s vice president of communications.

In the absence of federal policy, states have stepped in with their own laws, frustrating food companies and grocers. Florida and Nevada, for example, require “sell by” dates on shellfish and dairy, and Arizona requires “best by” or “use by” dates on eggs, according to Emily Broad Lieb, director of the Food Law and Policy Clinic at Harvard Law SchoolThe confusion has led some companies, like Unilever, to support legislation currently in Congress that would standardize U.S. date labels and ensure that food could be donated to rescue organizations even after its quality date. At least 20 states currently prohibit the sale or donation of food after the date listed on the label because of liability fears, Lieb said.   excellent idea, though somebody will probably block it in Congress.

Clearer labeling and donation rules could help nonprofits like Food Shift, which trains chefs using rescued food. It even makes dog treats from overripe bananas, recovered chicken fat and spent grain from a brewer, Apple said.

“We definitely need to be focusing more on doing these small actions like addressing expiration date labels, because even though it’s such a tiny part of this whole food waste issue, it can be very impactful,” Apple said.  I'm usually pretty good about this, but not for ethical or ecological reasons... I'm too cheap to throw out anything edible.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/07/are-best-before-labels-garbage-when-to-really-toss-out-food/

Why would members of the House of Representatives and/or the Senate block it?  Even the quite conservative New York Post would appreciate  the kind gesture to feed low income households.

10 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Why would members of the House of Representatives and/or the Senate block it?  Even the quite conservative New York Post would appreciate  the kind gesture to feed low income households.

Because somebody from one side or the other always seems to have an axe to grind and refuses to agree to even the most benign legislation.

I use my eyes and nose to tell me whether it's time to throw food away. I just checked my pantry and found a package of Kitchens of India "Basmati Rice Pilaf with Vegetables and Nuts" which says "Best before Jan. 2013," but I would still give it a try, since it is sealed and mostly dry. I might hesitate about the Trader Joe's "Pad Thai Noodles and Sauce" with Production date April 17, 2007; the flavors may have weakened, but it is probably safe. However, the Mount Olive "Prosciutto and Mozzarella" that I bought at Ralph's last week is already questionable, even though it says "best by Jan. 24, 2023,"

27 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I just checked my pantry and found a package of Kitchens of India "Basmati Rice Pilaf with Vegetables and Nuts" which says "Best before Jan. 2013," but I would still give it a try, since it is sealed and mostly dry.

I'm not a consumer of Indian food, as I tend not to like the spices that much, but my supermarket recently ran a circular coupon for a couple of weeks giving away something for free, so naturally I selected the mildest option and ordered two.  Let's see how long they sit in the pantry before I eat them. (Best by 8/31/23)

b26aa9c8-44da-4341-962d-4cb69d5d43b2%3Fs

ALSO: Is it safe to eat sprouted potatoes?

https://www.aol.com/lifestyle/safely-eat-sprouted-potatoes-102600998.html

Edited by samhexum

On 8/8/2022 at 12:03 AM, BSR said:

It's October 14, 2022, and I thought I peruse this particular thread again.  Yes, prices for food and drink and snacks have increased everywhere.  Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are definitely included.

I primarily do my "grocery shopping" at TJs.  In California for the past three or four months, I've noticed a price increase on the items that I normally purchase.  In the past I would have four bags full to the tune of $50 or less.  Today I can't leave this store without paying over that amount.  I've also ceased purchasing certain items of the past because of the price increase.  

When will it become sane and relatively normal?

13 hours ago, samhexum said:

I'm not a consumer of Indian food, as I tend not to like the spices that much, but my supermarket recently ran a circular coupon for a couple of weeks giving away something for free, so naturally I selected the mildest option and ordered two.  Let's see how long they sit in the pantry before I eat them. (Best by 8/31/23)

ALSO: Is it safe to eat sprouted potatoes?

https://www.aol.com/lifestyle/safely-eat-sprouted-potatoes-102600998.html

Try it over basmati rice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An elderly Arizona couple decided to tie the knot where it all started — in the mayonnaise aisle at their local grocery store where they first met.

Brenda and Dennis Delgado found love while shopping for the creamy condiment in aisle 8 at the Fry’s grocery store in Casa Grande last year. So they decided to trade vows in the same place earlier this month.

“I’m 72, he’s 78 now,” Brenda told Phoenix NBC affiliate News 12. “We don’t have that many more years to do something dumb and stupid.”

Brenda was looking for a jar of Miracle Whip when her future husband approached her and made a remark about the masks they were wearing on their faces. The two immediately hit it off.

“We both had masks on, and I say to her ‘you know the best thing about wearing a mask?” Dennis told her. “You could pass these [people] not wearing a mask, and curse them out under your breath, they don’t hear a word you’re saying,’ and she started laughing.”

The two talked for a half hour and even continued their conversation outside of the store before exchanging phone numbers. The next week, Dennis attended a service at Brenda’s church.

The two quickly bonded over their shared experience of loss. Brenda had recently lost her husband of 30 years to cancer, while Dennis had just lost his wife of 45 years.

Dennis told the outlet that the grief he felt over his wife’s death pushed him away from God before he met Brenda, but found his faith again as his heart healed while spending time with Brenda.

“I was angry at him for taking her away from me and I wanted to apologize to him,” Dennis said.

By April, their relationship was serious enough that Dennis wanted to propose. After he told her that he was going to get her an engagement ring, she had to call him a few hours later to make sure that he wasn’t drunk, Fox 13 reported.

When she learned that he was not drunk but completely serious, she suggested he propose to her in the grocery store aisle. 

Over a year after they first met, the couple returned to the spot to wed, surrounded by friends, family and mayonnaise.

“It was my idea to get married there,” Brenda told News 12. “I’m kind of weird okay.”

“They hid me in the aisle next to the condiment aisle,” she recalled, smiling. Dennis, meanwhile, waited on the other side.

“She came around. They cued the wedding march over their loudspeakers in the store. It was wonderful,” Dennis said.

The staff of the grocery store even bought the newlyweds a custom flower arrangement complete with Miracle Whip and mayonnaise.

“You never know when you’re going to walk down the condiment aisle at Fry’s and you’re going to meet someone that you didn’t know you needed in your life,” Dennis said.

Brenda and Dennis Delgado were married in a grocery store.

• 2 weeks later...

Next time you're annoyed by the inconveniences of grocery shopping, think of her.

A TikToker has gone viral revealing what life is like in a rural part of Alaska.

Salina Alsworth, 25, hails from Port Alsworth, which has a population of about 200 residents, according to Census figures. She collects her mail from an air taxi and endures an hourlong flight to the nearest grocery store, more than 160 miles away.

For her 340,000 TikTok followers, she often posts videos showcasing the beauty of the state and the realities of doing mundane tasks in her remote slice of southwest Alaska.

For example, she explained in an essay for Insider that she takes on a big grocery shop every three or four months. Buying fresh produce is a major challenge, she wrote.

“If the weather is bad it might be up to a week before the fresh items I purchase can be flown home,” Alsworth divulged, noting that a small carton of raspberries can cost $4 to $5 if it’s shipped in from outside the state.

“Because of this, I often ask myself if I should buy ripe bananas or green ones that might be ripe by the time I get to use them, but I usually just get a little bit of each.”

Stocking up on canned goods is essential, Alsworth emphasized, so she typically purchases peaches, pears, corn and green beans while keeping expiration dates in mind. She also relies on food that can be frozen, like bacon, bagels, milk, shredded cheese and lunch meat.

While people in the lower 48 pack their groceries into their car and head home, Alsworth said she has to haul her haul on a flight home. She says it can cost between 90 cents and $2.50 per pound for freight to be sent to her village.

She’s careful to pack delicate items like eggs and bananas in bubble wrap. There’s not often room for her groceries on her return flight, she disclosed, so her goods land on another plane.

In October, Alsworth shared a video of her shopping trip to Costco in Anchorage, where she filled her cart with bagels, sweet potatoes, asparagus, cereal, ground sirloin beef patties, pepperoni, bacon, chopped salad, grapes, bananas and more — to the tune of $422.35.

“I’m glad to be set for the winter,” she confided in the three-minute clip, which picked up 30,000 views. “I’ll get a lot more orders this winter, just with the fresh stuff that I need because we go through that stuff fast, but now I’m set for a good while.”

Alsworth said she works at her family’s travel lodge, the Farm Lodge, during tourist season and at the air taxi service in the winter. She also sells Alaska gifts in her Etsy shop.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/10/i-live-in-a-remote-part-of-alaska-i-have-to-fly-to-the-grocery-store/

Salina Alsworth in front of a shopping haul TikToker Salina Alsworth showcases remote Alaska life to her 340,000 followers. TikTok/@salinaalsworth_ak
Salina Alsworth hauling her purchases on a motorized vehicle She reveals what it's like to do mundane tasks like grocery shopping and getting the mail in Port Alsworth, Alaska. TikTok/@salinaalsworth_ak
A plane in front of an Alaska mountain Port Alsworth, in Southwest Alaska, only has about 200 residents. TikTok/@salinaalsworth_ak
A plane in Alaska Alsworth says she has to take an hourlong flight to Anchorage to get groceries.

• 2 weeks later...

My stop and shop delivery came right before the End of the scheduled time slot. The only slight problem is that it was delivered to somebody else. So they scheduled me for a re-delivery but the only available time slot was 8 AM on Christmas Eve, when I'm sure everything is going to be in stock.

6 hours ago, samhexum said:

My stop and shop delivery came right before the End of the scheduled time slot. The only slight problem is that it was delivered to somebody else. So they scheduled me for a re-delivery but the only available time slot was 8 AM on Christmas Eve, when I'm sure everything is going to be in stock.

Be sure to leave out treats for the reindeer! 😋

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2022 at 1:15 PM, samhexum said:

I'm gonna try one in a little while.  One minute in the microwave.