Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

6 minutes ago, ffdave said:

They liked the dynamic amongst my crew,

None of my business but I’ll ask anyway. Are you out at work? If so has that fact that you are gay caused any problems? I’d imagine not in this day and age, especially in CA, just curious. 

47 minutes ago, ffdave said:

No.  It’s kinda like a “don’t ask, don’t tell” atmosphere.  Some people kinda suspect, but they don’t really care either.

That makes my next question moot. 😜 [You can probably figure out what it was.]
I don’t inquire about the personal lives of my subordinates insofar as I can avoid it and they return the favor. I have told most everyone that I more than occasionally socialize with outside working hours and I have been with my company so long that I imagine anyone who cares to know does. But its nice that we keep it professional in the office.

Edit: Sorry getting way off topic. 

Edited by Gadfly22

13 hours ago, ffdave said:

Yes.  It was a fictitious hospital mostly filmed on the outside of Harbor General Hospital in Carson area, just as “Station 51” was portrayed by Station 127 in Carson.

The Emergency firefighter/engineer/driver (sorry if I have the titles wrong ) was an actual LA County firefighter from Station 56, right where I grew up. He was kind of an iconic hero to us local kids, and a super nice guy. He ended up purchasing a home in 56’s city.

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I was in a store and wanted to get some soda, which (of course) was on the top shelf, and they didn't have much left, so it was towards the back of the shelf.  I was looking around for an employee to help me when I noticed a woman a little ahead of me had a cane in her cart (I was using a handicapped cart, she had a regular one).  The cane had a curved handle so you could hook it around the bottles, so I said 'Excuse me, ma'am, this might sound a little weird, but can I borrow your cane for a minute?' 

She looked at me and smiled and said 'You want to get something off the top shelf, right?' and she handed it to me.  As I returned it I thanked her and said 'I'm so glad you knew why I was asking.'  She said that's how she gets her cereal off high shelves.

Ironically, I had my cane in my car, but because the basket of the handicapped cart is so much smaller than a regular cart, it sticks out and bangs into people and things, so I don't bring it into the store.

34 minutes ago, samhexum said:

A few weeks ago I was in a store and wanted to get some soda, which (of course) was on the top shelf, and they didn't have much left, so it was towards the back of the shelf.  I was looking around for an employee to help me when I noticed a woman a little ahead of me had a cane in her cart (I was using a handicapped cart, she had a regular one).  The cane had a curved handle so you could hook it around the bottles, so I said 'Excuse me, ma'am, this might sound a little weird, but can I borrow your cane for a minute?' 

She looked at me and smiled and said 'You want to get something off the top shelf, right?' and she handed it to me.  As I returned it I thanked her and said 'I'm so glad you knew why I was asking.'  She said that's how she gets her cereal off high shelves.

Ironically, I had my cane in my car, but because the basket of the handicapped cart is so much smaller than a regular cart, it sticks out and bangs into people and things, so I don't bring it into the store.

I usually look for a strapping young man to help me out. Then I get to thank him. “Thank you handsome”. Gay, straight, pretty, ugly - it makes their day! 😉

• 2 weeks later...

A new urban farm on Eastern Parkway hopes to transform a long-vacant lot into a solution for Brooklynites living in the borough's food deserts.

The Eastern Parkway Farm — opened by Bed-Stuy based food pantry The Campaign Against Hunger — will open next week in a property on the Crown Heights and Brownsville border that had previously stood empty for 30 years.

The space is the organization's latest project aimed at bringing nutrient-rich foods to communities often deprived of healthy options. It is the fifth urban farm space run by TCAH.

"The Campaign Against Hunger is committed to infusing heart-healthy fruits and vegetables into communities that are far too often overlooked and starved of affordable, nutritious food options," said CEO Dr. Melony Samuels. "The opening of Eastern Parkway Farm is just the most recent example of our work to advance food justice."

The newest farm, found at 1420 Eastern Pkwy., has been in the works for six months with the help of TCAH's farm department, volunteers and Green Teens, a group of local youth trained in urban farming.

It includes 5,000 square feet of space leased through the city's Department of Housing, Preservation & Development and will be farmed using all-natural production methods, according to TCAH.

Neighbors will find fresh produce like kale, summer squash, red cabbage, chard and raddish in the lot, according to the organization.

The Eastern Parkway Farm is the latest project for TCAH, whose demand increased six-fold during the coronavirus crisis. The organization has also opened a community food distribution center in East New York this year after leaving an emergency warehouse it set up with Broadway Stages in March 2020.

The Campaign Against Hunger has provided food for more than 25 million meals since the pandemic began.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, samhexum said:

I'm putting together my next grocery delivery order, and for 87 cents, I had to order this, even though I'm sure it's just a box of artificially-colored sugar:

spacer.png

That reminds me of a house guest who, while I was making eggs, asked if I had cereal. I told him no, cereal is a child’s breakfast.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 2:46 AM, samhexum said:

Is it tacky to use my Stop&Shop reusable bag in ShopRite?

spacer.png

YES!!

One year I took a Safeway bag or two into Whole Foods.  The cashiers/baggers were appalled when they saw what I had done and wanted them to do.  I didn't react but dole out .50 for pape rbags [with handles] in Monterey.

I primarily shop at TJ's and take a sundry of cloth bags.  When I ask for their bags, I don't mind paying 10cents each.

2 hours ago, Axiom2001 said:

YES!!

One year I took a Safeway bag or two into Whole Foods.  The cashiers/baggers were appalled when they saw what I had done and wanted them to do.  I didn't react but dole out .50 for pape rbags [with handles] in Monterey.

I primarily shop at TJ's and take a sundry of cloth bags.  When I ask for their bags, I don't mind paying 10cents each.

Try taking Walmart bags to Whole Foods - they will give you all your groceries for free just to get you out of the building as fast as possible! 😆

16 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I always take my own bags, most of which are Trader Joe's. The other day when I was in Von's (Safeway, to those of you who are not in SoCal), I heard the checker say to the packer, "Those TJ bags are really nice."

Safeway used to sell box-bags and AJ's here in Phoenix still does. When i take them to Trader Joe's they always say they wish TJ's would sell them.

11 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

Safeway used to sell box-bags and AJ's here in Phoenix still does. When i take them to Trader Joe's they always say they wish TJ's would sell them.

Albertson's is the only market that sells the box-bags in Palm Springs. I use them all the time to carry bulky items.

Edited by Charlie

On 10/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, Charlie said:

Humph! I just finished a bowl of raisin bran for breakfast.

I was surprised to read (a while back) that Raisin Bran has more sugar per serving than Froot Loops...

Raisin Bran nutritional panel:

image.thumb.png.96cd8ab61a36e90801ea4ec14bdf23c7.png

Froot Loops nutritional panel (have to double the numbers due to lower serving size):

image.thumb.png.0381ea0c4bb985672bb40293b496500f.png

Edited by Unicorn

12 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

but note that the Froot Loops serving size is less than half the Raisin Bran serving......

I'm not sure you read my post carefully. I said "(have to double the numbers due to lower serving size):". Gram for gram, or ounce for ounce, Raisin Bran still has more sugar. 

3 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I'm not sure you read my post carefully. I said "(have to double the numbers due to lower serving size):". Gram for gram, or ounce for ounce, Raisin Bran still has more sugar. 

You're right. I didn't see that note in between the big pictures. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

I don't care for Raisin Bran because I dont like raisins, but I'd eat in a pinch.  Froot Loops, on the other hand, are so painfully sweet they make me dizzy (and I'm not a diabetic).