Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

wow didn't realize the price on goldbelly! Wow. Their pies are normally $38 here in NYC and they're a good size. It took me 4 days to finish eating the apple sour cream walnut pie over thanksgiving (yes I spent thanksgiving alone but did a zoom thing with family.)

That is a big mark up but I'm sure Goldbelly gets a nice commission and they ship the stuff overnight fed ex or ups so I'm sure a lot of it is shipping since they have to use gel packs or dry ice.

That is a big mark up but I'm sure Goldbelly gets a nice commission and they ship the stuff overnight fed ex or ups so I'm sure a lot of it is shipping since they have to use gel packs or dry ice.

I buy quite a few unique frozen/refrigerated meats etc. online, I find it very difficult to do much better than $50 shipping from FedEx or UPS. Host of suppliers, D’Artaganan, Snake river farms, Creekstone, various Louisiana vendors, fresh rabbit vendor etc. pretty much all the same. Sometimes specials or minimum orders discount shipping.

That said you can often add quite a bit to some orders for the same $50 shipping! So I wait until I can stock up a bit.

Clorox wipes are back on the shelves in my neighborhood in NYC on a regular basis. They are available at both grocery stores I frequent, as well as the pharmacy on the corner. Only the containers of 35 wipes (smaller containers) - haven't seen the 60 wipe containers yet. I guess it is a step in the right direction! As for the price...well, be prepared to pay a premium! :)

pay-obamacare-premium.jpg

Clorox wipes are back on the shelves in my neighborhood in NYC on a regular basis. They are available at both grocery stores I frequent, as well as the pharmacy on the corner. Only the containers of 35 wipes (smaller containers) - haven't seen the 60 wipe containers yet. I guess it is a step in the right direction! As for the price...well, be prepared to pay a premium! :)

I wish Costco would get the Kirkland brand or Kroger would get their brand of wipes back in stock . I've bought a couple different off brands at Target or Menards and they aren't that great.

Home depot has had the 35 count of the actual clorox for a few weeks but the price is high and 35 don't last me that long.

Connecticut cops are trying to hook a serial “seafood bandit” who allegedly snatched hundreds of dollars worth of pricey shrimp from several grocery stores, according to a report Friday.

Things got fishy at around 3:45 p.m. Sunday when the thief stuffed 35 pounds of the frozen shellfish — valued at $1,100 — into a bag at the Adams IGA supermarket in Plymouth then sped off, police told the Hartford Courant.

Workers at the shop didn’t notice the crook had gotten his claws on the crustaceans until after he had fled in a blue Toyota SUV with a taped-up window and no plates, police said.

But the suspect — who is husky and likely in his 30s or 40s — was caught on the store’s surveillance camera footage.

And cops quickly learned he’s wanted for a slew of similar thefts at grocery stores in Avon and Cheshire, Plymouth Police Capt. Edward Benecchi said.

“The ‘Seafood Bandit’ I guess you could call him,” Benecchi told the paper.

He said police on Thursday were preparing an arrest warrant charging the totally ‘shellfish’ guy with fourth-degree larceny.

Details of the other seafood heists were not immediately clear.

Connecticut cops are trying to hook a serial “seafood bandit” who allegedly snatched hundreds of dollars worth of pricey shrimp from several grocery stores, according to a report Friday.

Things got fishy at around 3:45 p.m. Sunday when the thief stuffed 35 pounds of the frozen shellfish — valued at $1,100 — into a bag at the Adams IGA supermarket in Plymouth then sped off, police told the Hartford Courant.

Workers at the shop didn’t notice the crook had gotten his claws on the crustaceans until after he had fled in a blue Toyota SUV with a taped-up window and no plates, police said.

But the suspect — who is husky and likely in his 30s or 40s — was caught on the store’s surveillance camera footage.

And cops quickly learned he’s wanted for a slew of similar thefts at grocery stores in Avon and Cheshire, Plymouth Police Capt. Edward Benecchi said.

“The ‘Seafood Bandit’ I guess you could call him,” Benecchi told the paper.

He said police on Thursday were preparing an arrest warrant charging the totally ‘shellfish’ guy with fourth-degree larceny.

Details of the other seafood heists were not immediately clear.

I’m surprised that frozen shrimp cost that much. Here they are relatively cheap. Frozen crab legs and lobster are much more expensive as they are mostly Canadian sourced. The shrimp mostly come from Thailand, Vietnam and some other developing countries.

I’m surprised that frozen shrimp cost that much. Here they are relatively cheap. Frozen crab legs and lobster are much more expensive as they are mostly Canadian sourced. The shrimp mostly come from Thailand, Vietnam and some other developing countries.

the country of origin on the shrimp indicates the price. i personally don't want my seafood/shellfish to be required to have a passport to enter the country. i grew up on the northeast coast and try to only eat local seafood/shellfish, my exception is shrimp and i usually get those that are harvested in the gulf coast.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it's a coincidence that the day after the "potentially inflationary" stimulus bill passed my Whole Foods raised their price for their big prepared 2-sides and entree meals-to-go from $9 to $12 (for veggie or poultry). That was a shock as I get those a lot. Then next day Colada close to me raised their Cuban sandwich menu from $10 to $13. Fuckin fuck. I'm old to learn how to cook.

You'll be appalled, but I have a bowl of grape nuts with lactose (and fat) free milk, and a small glass of Diet Dr. Pepper.

Feeling buyer’s remorse for that $100 box of Grape-Nuts? Help is on the way.

The maker of the cereal has pledged to reimburse shoppers who paid exorbitant prices for black-market boxes during a months-long supply shortage.

Post Consumer Brands declared that shortage officially over Wednesday by announcing that it’s once again shipping Grape-Nuts at full capacity to stores across the US.

But fans who turned to the secondary market during the drought faced prices as high as $110 for a single box of the high-fiber breakfast staple, the Minnesota-based company said.

“It became abundantly clear during the shortage that Grape-Nuts fans are ‘Nuts for Grape-Nuts,'” Kristin DeRock, the Grape-Nuts brand manager at Post Consumer Brands, said in a statement. “So much so that some of our loyal super fans were willing to pay extreme prices just to ensure they wouldn’t be without their favorite crunchy cereal.”

Post is offering reimbursements of up to $115 for anyone who paid at least $10 for a box of Grape-Nuts between Nov. 1 of last year and March 15.

The conglomerate says it will pay the difference between the inflated price and the suggested retail price — $4.29 for a 20.5-ounce box, $4.99 for 29 ounces or $6.49 for 64 ounces.

But the offer comes with some caveats — eligible consumers have to submit a receipt through Post’s website by April 15, and payments are limited to one per household. The company will only pay out a total of $10,000 in reimbursements, so it’s possible that not everyone will get some money back.

Post has reportedly blamed the shortage on a combination of supply constraints and high demand for Grape-Nuts — which is made from wheat and barley, but no grapes or nuts — amid the coronavirus pandemic.

DeRock told news outlets in January that Post makes the mealy cereal with “proprietary technology and a production process that isn’t easily replicated, which has made it more difficult to shift production to meet demand during this time.”

Post said last month that “healthy inventory levels” would return by mid-March after it ramped up production.

Ravens stealing groceries from Alaska Costco: ‘They’ve got a whole system there’

Edgar Allan Poe is in the air.

Well, ravens are, in abundance actually in Alaska, where they’re wreaking havoc on Costco customers’ groceries in South Anchorage, the Anchorage Daily News reported Friday.

Marnie Jones and her husband are among the poetic birds’ recent victims, she told the outlet.

The pair arrived home from the store only to realize one of their filet mignon steaks, part of a four-pack, was in the wind.

The pack fell in the parking lot, but Jones’ husband was loading groceries and didn’t notice until it was too late.

“He said, ‘Oh my God, after I picked up that pack of steaks, I saw a raven in the parking lot with a steak in his mouth,’” said Jones.

Olani Saunoa has twice been through a similar ordeal, she told the outlet.

She lost “an entire package of short ribs” to a raven after leaving the store last winter, she told the outlet, recalling the bird was “like flying away with it.”

“I’ve been here my entire life, dealt with the ravens but never ever had this happen to me, ever,” she told ADN, noting she recently lost pork ribs to the birds.

“They know what they’re doing,” Matt Lewallen, who lost a single short rib to the birds, told the outlet. “They’re very fat so I think they’ve got a whole system there.”

Tamara Josey said a pair of the birds were tenacious in trying to get some melons she’d bought.

“They were never deterred,” she recounted. “They just stayed posted, waiting for their next opportunity to steal something out of my cart.”

Josey feels the birds “are very dedicated to their mission.”

An increase in the city’s garbage over the years has only made it more enticing for ravens, who learn from fellow birds, Rick Sinnott, who formerly worked as an Anchorage-area wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, told the outlet.

“Ravens do very well in this city, but they much prefer — I would guess if I was thinking like a raven — a package of short ribs from Costco to half of a hamburger bun from McDonald’s,” said Sinnott.

K37U6EPL2LETIBVFE4I6NWDBPE.aspx

Ravens stealing groceries from Alaska Costco: ‘They’ve got a whole system there’

Edgar Allan Poe is in the air.

Well, ravens are, in abundance actually in Alaska, where they’re wreaking havoc on Costco customers’ groceries in South Anchorage, the Anchorage Daily News reported Friday.

Marnie Jones and her husband are among the poetic birds’ recent victims, she told the outlet.

The pair arrived home from the store only to realize one of their filet mignon steaks, part of a four-pack, was in the wind.

The pack fell in the parking lot, but Jones’ husband was loading groceries and didn’t notice until it was too late.

“He said, ‘Oh my God, after I picked up that pack of steaks, I saw a raven in the parking lot with a steak in his mouth,’” said Jones.

Olani Saunoa has twice been through a similar ordeal, she told the outlet.

She lost “an entire package of short ribs” to a raven after leaving the store last winter, she told the outlet, recalling the bird was “like flying away with it.”

“I’ve been here my entire life, dealt with the ravens but never ever had this happen to me, ever,” she told ADN, noting she recently lost pork ribs to the birds.

“They know what they’re doing,” Matt Lewallen, who lost a single short rib to the birds, told the outlet. “They’re very fat so I think they’ve got a whole system there.”

Tamara Josey said a pair of the birds were tenacious in trying to get some melons she’d bought.

“They were never deterred,” she recounted. “They just stayed posted, waiting for their next opportunity to steal something out of my cart.”

Josey feels the birds “are very dedicated to their mission.”

An increase in the city’s garbage over the years has only made it more enticing for ravens, who learn from fellow birds, Rick Sinnott, who formerly worked as an Anchorage-area wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, told the outlet.

“Ravens do very well in this city, but they much prefer — I would guess if I was thinking like a raven — a package of short ribs from Costco to half of a hamburger bun from McDonald’s,” said Sinnott.

K37U6EPL2LETIBVFE4I6NWDBPE.aspx

I do love the first person quoted in the article is named Marnie. Marnie is a the name of a character played by Tippi Hedron who got her big break in "The Birds". ?

• 4 weeks later...

Got my 2nd shot today, so I can go back into supermarkets 5/14... I placed (hopefully) my last delivery order yesterday for delivery next Thurs (5/6).

With Peapod (Stop&Shop's delivery service) you earn $1 grocery dollar for every $100 you spend. For my last delivery, I had $4 or $5 in credits. When I tried to add them to my order I got a ‘can’t process now, try later’ message 3 times. When I checked later, they’d given me $15 off my order.

I earned another dollar with that order, but when I began loading the cart for the new order yesterday, it again gave me $15 off, then another $1 off when I applied the grocery dollar I’d earned.

My pot dealer used to bring me a box of food nearly every week that her friends had gotten from their synagogue. That lasted a little over a year, then stopped around the start of the pandemic.

So... I have my last grocery delivery scheduled for Thursday (before I return to the stores, fully vaxed). Friday night my dealer calls me and asks if I'd eat frozen meals... her 98 year old neighbor gets frozen meals delivered to him by some senior service and he doesn't eat them.

She just dropped off 25 meals (plus a bag of those hospital-style juice cups of OJ & AJ & four loose kiwis). If I tried hard, I'd be able to fit a few sheets of paper in the freezer now. Time to adjust that grocery order.

There are a few that I like everything; most of them either the entree or one or both of the sides are good; there are only 3 that I don't know if I'll like anything, and I can always throw them out.

Of course, given that these are for seniors, there's probably one grain of salt in them, so we'll see how it goes.

Anybody want come chick pea stew or steamed kale?