Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

5 hours ago, BSR said:

I don't care for Raisin Bran because I dont like raisins, but I'd eat in a pinch.  Froot Loops, on the other hand, are so painfully sweet they make me dizzy (and I'm not a diabetic).

image.png.2cc619505433b10c1db4fc1c68b49f9c.png

😄

• 2 months later...

Thieves are brazenly grabbing porterhouse steaks and other big-ticket items from well-stocked Manhattan food stores and selling their ill-gotten goods to bodegas in the Bronx and elsewhere.

It’s a confluence of two hot-button issues: the sharply rising prices retailers — and their customers — are facing as inflation is stuck at 40-year highs and the smash-and-grab antics seen across the country as some say light-touch policing is encouraging theft.

As for inflation, it’s so off the charts that tony grocer Citarella is now selling crab meat for $99 a pound — up from around $35 just six months ago.

And as for the thefts? Some stores aren’t even stocking the highest-dollar items anymore — because the stuff is ripe for shoplifters.

“I am not going near that stuff,” Victor Colello, Morton Williams’ director of meat and fish buying says of the ever-more-pricey crab. “It’s too expensive and will just sit on the shelves or walk out the door.”

He cites the supply-chain issues that are gumming up the works across the world — and helping to drive up prices: fish and other seafood stuck on ships in port and soaring demand amid staffing problems. Higher gas prices add to transportation costs and trickle down to the sticker price, too.

At Morton Williams, Colello calculates that an 8-ounce lobster tail now costs $32 a pound, wholesale — which would be around $60 a pound retail. Prices across the store are up 30% to 60% in just the past month, he says. And sales are down 15% to 20%. So he’s just staying away from most of the higher-end seafood, he says.

“You see it for yourself. The prices are nuts. What are you supposed to eat? That’s why shoplifting is so bad,” he said.

Avi Kaner, the CEO and co-owner of Morton Williams said in his 25 years with the grocer, he’s never seen as much theft.

“They are coming in with garbage bags to steal for profit and sell the goods to unscrupulous businesses,” he said, alleging that much of the pilfered stuff ends up on shelves at smaller bodegas in the Bronx and elsewhere.

Colello, Kaner’s meat and fish director, said this past Saturday, they nabbed a guy stealing $150 worth of porterhouse steaks and $200 worth of candles.

“He said that supermarkets and bodega owners in the Bronx and elsewhere pay $5 per for each steak and candle,” Colello claimed. 

Meanwhile, the costs are driving paying customers away from fish and other seafood, the grocers contend — just as people turned back to the kitchen and cooking during the pandemic.

“People were buying fish like crazy,” Colello said. “But now they are shying away from fish. It’s just too expensive. In my 10 years as director of buying, I have never raised so many prices like this. In the last three months, I’ve raised more prices than I have in the last 10 years.”

https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/stolen-gourmet-steaks-and-seafood-hightailed-off-to-bronx-bodegas/

• 1 month later...
I haven't been in a supermarket since covid cases started ticking up in September.  It just makes more sense to get things delivered, especially since the store seems to have gotten into the habit of paying me to take free food from them.

2 deliveries ago I ordered 15 2-liter bottles of Coke Zero.  The website glitched, and they wound up charging me -2.35 (negative 2.35) on the invoice.  (I still had to pay the 75 cent deposit fee.)

Then this past Wed, I ordered some Progresso soup; they were having a promotion that you get $6.95 off your delivery fee if you order a certain amount of soup, so I did, even though it wasn't on sale and the regular price is outrageous (I was in the mood for soup).  The $6.95 credit was denoted in a bit of a confusing way on the invoice, so I thought I hadn't gotten it.  I called customer service and the rep put me on hold to investigate.  As soon as he did that I saw the credit, but when he came back on the line he hadn't see it either, so he credited me $6.95 on my credit card.  As a result, I got the 3 overpriced cans free, plus $2.63 off my delivery.  AND...  you earn one point for every dollar spent, and can redeem them in increments of 100 for money off your order.  I only had 100 points available, so I redeemed them, and $1.00 came off my order...  but the website still shows that dollar as available to be applied to my next order, as well.

I may never set foot in a supermarket again...
Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've found that my grocery shopping has changed. I used to make a list and then go to the store and buy exactly that. Down to the brands I customarily buy.

Now prices are, of course, way up, but my local has specials all over the place, sometimes it seems like there are more yellow sale signs that regular ones. I find myself coming with a short list of "must haves" that I pick up and then I browse the aisles looking for good deals and there are a lot. Sometimes 2 for 1, sometimes the regular price has gone up but a special brings the price below what the old one was. I check out the "dump bin", and find some amazing things, Progresso soup for $.39 (not all kinds, but I'll eat almost any soup). Sometimes name brands that are normally prices at 2x with store brand will be on sale for less that the store brand. Meat that is perfectly fine in a special bin for a great price. A pound of hamburger might he high prices, but the same weight in formed patties might be in the special bin for a fraction of the price. They place veggies that you need to use like that day in the same spot as normal ones, but with reduction stickers. All over the place, but by hunting around I'm not sure my bills are much higher than in the past.

An article in today's LA Times says that average grocery prices have risen 11.9%. For me, I think it is more like 20%.

Here are the local stores in order of priciness, based on a 15 item sample:

Here are the price tallies for the 15 items on our list:

1. Trader Joe’s: $48.88
  2. Food4Less: $59.14
  3. Stater Bros.: $61.64
  4. Smart & Final: $66.12
  5. Whole Foods: $67.45
  6. Albertsons: $69.62
  7. Ralphs: $70.08
  8. Northgate Market: $70.97
  9. Vons: $73.02
  10. Sprouts: $79.65
  12. https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-07-07/inflation-grocery-supermarket-prices-los-angeles

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

An article in today's LA Times says that average grocery prices have risen 11.9%. For me, I think it is more like 20%.

Here are the local stores in order of priciness, based on a 15 item sample:

Here are the price tallies for the 15 items on our list:

1. Trader Joe’s: $48.88
  2. Food4Less: $59.14
  3. Stater Bros.: $61.64
  4. Smart & Final: $66.12
  5. Whole Foods: $67.45
  6. Albertsons: $69.62
  7. Ralphs: $70.08
  8. Northgate Market: $70.97
  9. Vons: $73.02
  10. Sprouts: $79.65
  12. https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-07-07/inflation-grocery-supermarket-prices-los-angeles

Hmm. Why am I shopping at Von's when Trader Joe's is only a couple of minutes further away? Oh, maybe those 15 items are not the ones I want.

Interesting comment Charlie. You are probably speaking for me as well. I have a Traders Joe's directly across the street from me. I have never been a big fan of Traders Joe's as are many of my friends and neighbors. They simply do not carry most of the items I normally purchase. I'm not a big fan of prepackaged meats and I can find vegetables as good as theirs cheaper at other markets. I do like their cheese selection.  I do use Smart & Final because it is even closer to me that Trader Joe's and I like their vegetables, however, I don't care for the meat. I generally buy meat at Stater Bros. when it is on sale. I also do a considerable amount of shopping at my very local Costco. I keep my pantry stocked with Costco items. I entertain a great deal. I have people over for dinner at least once or twice a week thus food is a major expenditure for me and I know prices and where to get the best value for my money.

Edited by Epigonos

We have fewer options (two major chains plus Aldi and a few independent shops) and the quality is broadly similar so that is not a determinant. There are also butcher's shops, green grocers and bakers to choose from. I (for my sins) receive e-mails from the two big chains with their specials and bonus point offers (the points can be converted to airline miles or cash). I also buy stock that's marked down for being close to its use-by date if I can use it or freeze it. Some prices are up (mainly fresh produce but that always fluctuates) but most of what I buy, not by too much. Also, I don't have to pay too much attention to prices, but I do notice them.

35 minutes ago, Epigonos said:

Interesting comment Charlie. You are probably speaking for me as well. I have a Traders Joe's directly across the street from me. I have never been a big fan of Traders Joe's as are many of my friends and neighbors. They simply do not carry most of the items I normally purchase. I'm not a big fan of prepackaged meats and I can find vegetables as good as theirs cheaper at other markets. I do like their cheese selection.  I do use Smart & Final because it is even closer to me that Trader Joe's and I like their vegetables, however, I don't care for the meat. I generally buy meat at Stater Bros. when it is on sale. I also do a considerable amount of shopping at my very local Costco. I keep my pantry stocked with Costco items. I entertain a great deal. I have people over for dinner at least once or twice a week thus food is a major expenditure for me and I know prices and where to get the best value for my money.

The friends of mine who work at COSTCO find the it's a good employer.  (Can I refer to COSTCO as "it" when corporations are people?)  

I am most definitely a band buyer. Since that is the case I'm not remotely interested in shopping at places like Aldis and Grocery Outlets. An excellent example of my brand buying is that I am not remotely interested in how much less a house mayonnaise is I ONLY buy Best Foods/Hellman. House brands don't carry any attraction for me.

8 hours ago, RealAvalon said:

The friends of mine who work at COSTCO find the it's a good employer.  (Can I refer to COSTCO as "it" when corporations are people?)  

News today is that prices at the Costco cafe are rising. The iconic dog plus soda is staying the same. 

16 hours ago, Epigonos said:

I am most definitely a band buyer. Since that is the case I'm not remotely interested in shopping at places like Aldis and Grocery Outlets.

Some products I brand-buy but many I don't care. Here, Aldi is considerably less expensive than the big chains. Some of their house brands are clearly made by a particular brand name manufacturer and it's obvious which one, and are also clearly the same product, often at two thirds of the price. Other lines are, to judge by the packaging also made by a national brand although which one isn't always clear. Some of their frozen produce is sourced from Europe and is good (assuming you're prepared to stomach frozen veges) and their meat selection is also very good (and at times has innovative marinades and similar partial preparation of the cuts). Usually produce is produce but they also do some good salad kits that are different from those at the other shops.

If I did a big shop every [nominate time frame] I would shop at one of the big chains but since I shop at least twice a week and don't buy more than I can carry in one shopping bag, I am more catholic in my choice of shops.

During the summer, while on the island, I shop at locally owned stores or the farmers’ markets. I’m prepared to pay the island premium. That said, the meats and produce are all local and organic and you can tell the difference. The locally caught king salmon and halibut are unparalleled, but pricey. We also have several superb roasters here, so the coffee is superior. I add a little heavy whipping cream to my coffee and typically buy Organic Valley. The store in town charges $7.49 while a market ten minutes away is $2 cheaper. When I’m on the mainland, I stock up at Trader Joe’s, of which I’ve been a fan for over 40 years.

I don't know why everybody is complaining about the price of meat.

I have a grocery delivery coming tonight and ordered a cheap cut of London Broil, which I use for pot roast.

Anyhoo... The online site gave an approximate weight of 2.5 pounds, which they amend with the correct weight after the order is packed.  According to the invoice I got this afternoon, I was charged for .24 pounds.

So, either I'm getting a 4 ounce piece of London Broil, or I was charged for .24 pounds and am getting 2.4.

There are still bargains available... you just need to know where to shop.

First time at Trader Joe's in several weeks. Teeny tiny avocados (six small ones in a bag) are now $6 instead of $4. Same with the bagged Fuji apples. Jokingly commented to the cashier and she said prices will continue to go up. 

On 7/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, samhexum said:

I don't know why everybody is complaining about the price of meat.  I have a grocery delivery coming tonight and ordered a cheap cut of London Broil, which I use for pot roast.

Anyhoo... The online site gave an approximate weight of 2.5 pounds, which they amend with the correct weight after the order is packed... I was charged for .24 pounds.  (90 cents)

There are still bargains available... you just need to know where to shop.

I ordered another London Broil, and they charged me the correct price.  Of all the nerve!

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that, for at least a month or so, many of the cheap brands and/or store brands have been out of stock when I've looked to place an order online.  Stop & Shop offers 22 varieties of cereal online; 19 of them have been out of stock for weeks.

Gas prices have been coming down in the past month; grocery prices haven't seemed to decline at all (from what I've seen), and people's buying habits are clearly still being affected.

f7709c80f4ac013abab5005056a9545d