Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

I'm gonna try one in a little while.  One minute in the microwave.

b26aa9c8-44da-4341-962d-4cb69d5d43b2%3Fs

Costco has these in boxes of 8 bags for less than $1 a bag. Other supermarkets charge exorbitant amounts for this. I seem to recall about $3 a bag as Trader Joe's. 

19 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Costco has these in boxes of 8 bags for less than $1 a bag. Other supermarkets charge exorbitant amounts for this. I seem to recall about $3 a bag as Trader Joe's. 

Stop and Shop, which is expensive, sells them for $4.49, at least through their delivery service.

I don't belong to Costco, but will probably make a trip to BJs soon for terlet paper (as Archie Bunker would've said), so I'll check there.

Alas, I just checked their website and they don't carry them.

Edited by samhexum

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2021 at 5:06 AM, Rembo said:

Get great meal help and so much more at wegmans.com. Browse thousands of items with prices and create your shopping list with our online builder.

NYC man hacked Wegmans customer accounts, ran up $9K tab

A Brooklyn man hacked into dozens of Wegmans customer accounts and ran up a $9,000 tab before getting nabbed, federal prosecutors said this week.

Maurice Sheftall, 24, pleaded guilty to placing 25 online orders with the popular supermarket chain using the accounts of more than 50 patrons over a seven-month period in 2021.

Sheftall stole the customers’ login information and then locked them out of their accounts.

He then used their saved credit card information to rack up orders totaling $9,297.25, with the groceries delivered to himself and his pals.

US District Judge Charles Siragusa sentenced Sheftall to three years of probation and ordered him to pay more than $41,000 in restitution. 

The amount includes approximately $15,000 in legal fees incurred by the Rochester-based grocery chain and $16,000 for dark web monitoring to determine how Sheftall was able to get access to the customer accounts.

Also included in the total is reimbursement to customers for the stolen funds and about $1,000 for employee time to respond to the online theft.

• 5 weeks later...

Stew Leonard, founder of famous grocery chain, dies at 93 after ‘brief illness’

Stew Leonard, the founder of the famous Connecticut grocery store chain that went by his name, died Wednesday at the age of 93.

The businessman succumbed to a “brief illness” during his stay at Lenox Hill Hospital.

“Yesterday, my dad passed away at 93-1/2 years old while holding my mother’s hand. They had been married for 70 years. I knew this day would come but I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. Just a month ago, he was swimming in a pool,” his son and successor, Stewie Leonard, Jr, said.

Leonard opened his first dairy store in his native Norwalk, Connecticut, in 1969 after serving as a milkman for his family’s dairy business for several years.

The 17,000 square foot store — which originally only carried just eight items — earned the “World’s Largest Dairy Store” title at Ripley’s Believe It or Not, as well as the place in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the highest dollar sales per square foot of selling space.

Leonard opened his second Connecticut location in 1991 and continued to expand until the chain popped up across New York and New Jersey. There are seven locations across the three states.

He earned various accolades throughout his life, including the 1986 Presidential Award for Entrepreneurial Excellence bestowed upon him by then-President Ronald Reagan.

The regional supermarket, valued at roughly $600 million, has enjoyed great success and was named as one of FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For”  ten years in a row — through recently suffered a 50% blow to Bud Light sales amid its controversial partnership with Dylan Mulvaney.

Outside of running his $600 million business, Leonard was an avid outdoorsman and water skier. He won the 1956 North American Water Ski championship and set a world and national record in point totals for trick water skiing in 1959.

Leonard stepped down as CEO in 2014 and handed the reigns over to his oldest son, Stewie.

He leaves behind his wife, Marianne; children Stewie, Tom, Beth, and Jill; 13 grandchildren; and over 2,200 employees.

“He always had an inspirational insight offering hope and a brighter future. Boy, am I going to miss that!” Stewie wrote.

Customers push shopping carts outside a Stew Leonard's supermarket.

On 2/13/2023 at 5:19 PM, samhexum said:

I'm gonna try one in a little while.  One minute in the microwave.

b26aa9c8-44da-4341-962d-4cb69d5d43b2%3Fs

Good over basmati rice.  Good for a change to usual dinner, but not a go to for me.  I bought a box at Costco (sample was good).  Ended up giving last 3 to food pantry here.

Edited by bashful

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday of last week, I ventured into Trader Joe's in my area intending to purchase a container of strawberries and one of blueberries.  Did I?  NOT!

Because the rains that we had a few weeks back, many of the strawberry fields in my area had been greatly saturated by all of this water, the fields were flooded: a vast majority of these fruits were lost.  

I can wait a lot longer for these red and blue beauties to reappear on TJs shelf at a much more reasonable price.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:01 PM, Axiom2001 said:

On Saturday of last week, I ventured into Trader Joe's in my area intending to purchase a container of strawberries and one of blueberries.  Did I?  NOT!

Because the rains that we had a few weeks back, many of the strawberry fields in my area had been greatly saturated by all of this water, the fields were flooded: a vast majority of these fruits were lost.  

I can wait a lot longer for these red and blue beauties to reappear on TJs shelf at a much more reasonable price.

...returned yesterday (05.19/23) and managed to purchase a container of both strawberries and blueberries.  The price has resumed to a semblance of normalcy.  I'm pleased.

• 2 months later...

I generally go to a Kroger owned store called "Dillons".   Great store overall.   I assume most Kroger stores encourage use of  a "card",  which provides you with a lower price on many items.   If you have downloaded their app,  you may have a special price available.   Sometimes there are 3 prices listed on an item.    It can be a little frustrating,  but it works.    I am health oriented and because of my background an absolute analyst.     Never mind grocery store shopping either.   You never know who you might meet,  who you come across and what might happen.

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Check that "sell by" date! 

There is a weird sale this week-- random items are 75% off.

Stop and Shop has ridiculously helpful customer service.  They would no doubt refund me the cost if the date was unacceptable.  I once got a gallon of milk only 3 days before the sell-by date & called them and said there is no way I could use it all in time.  I got a full refund.  Meanwhile, I keep my fridge quite cool & can usually use milk up to a week past the date.  I wound up using that entire free gallon.

Also, by ordering 2, I got my cart over $100, taking $6.95 off the $9.95 delivery fee.  I want the 2 anyway, but if the date is off and I get a refund (or they are out of stock) I still get the $6.95 off.***

Believe me, I have a doctorate in online grocery ordering.  It takes me an hour to go through the circular every Friday, but that's the 'price' of being poor.

***For about a year, I would order a pound of the store-brand roast beef for $13 with every order.  I always wanted it, but it was only in stock a couple of times.  I was happy if it came, but if it didn't, it meant that I got the $6.95 off for spending (just over) $87.  Sadly, they finally took it off the delivery webpage.

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

On 1/6/2024 at 2:30 PM, samhexum said:
Australian Rack of Lamb Frenched All Natural Fresh

Sale Price$7.56
Original Price$30.26

On 1/6/2024 at 6:41 PM, MikeBiDude said:

Check that "sell by" date! 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:19 AM, samhexum said:

by ordering 2, I got my cart over $100, taking $6.95 off the $9.95 delivery fee.  I want the 2 anyway, but if the date is off and I get a refund (or they are out of stock) I still get the $6.95 off.

Big shock!  Sold out.   :(

Thanks for your sympathy, @MikeBiDude; I am trying to be strong and not show my heartbreak.

I also didn't get my 3 boxes of Maggi chicken boullion cubes for 32 cents apiece, my 3 family-sized (double) boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese for $1.12 apiece, or my three 57 cent 150 calorie protein bars.

I DID get McCormick ground Tumeric 1.87 oz and 3 boxes of Streit's Mediterranean Matzos (olive oil & sundried tomahto flavoring), both for $1.05, Cool Whip Reduced Fat (2 @ $.82), Campbell's Beefy Mushroom Condensed Soup (2 @ $.62), Stop & Shop Chopped Spinach 10 OZ BOX $.50, and two 4-packs of Energizer AAA rechargeable batteries-- regular price $15.79, sale price $1.58.  I don't have the recharging equipment, but for that price I can just throw them away when they die.

Believe me, I have a doctorate in online grocery ordering. 

Their sales run F-Th.  Once you submit an order, your prices are locked in as long as you get delivery within 7 days of the date you submitted your order, so I've developed a system to shop 2 circulars at once.  I place an order on the last day of a sale (Th) for the following W or Th, then the next day when the new circular drops I supplement my cart with any new sale items I want.  I didn't realize until tonight's order was finalized that I had missed maximum strength exlax for $2.25, which is ridiculous, and a clearance on Sylvania Xmas lights... a string of 100 for 70 cents, 300 for $2.00, or 100 LED for $1.20.  I'm Jewish, but I think they're cheerful & I don't pay for electricity, so I'm splurging for $.70.  I'll be submitting the order just after midnight for next Wed.

I always take the 4:30-10PM slot, because you get $5 off for it, and I apply that as my tip.

I'd regale you with more tales of my special shopping skills, but I don't want to make you too jealous.

There is a weird sale this week-- random items are 75% off.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:20 PM, samhexum said:

I also didn't get my 3 boxes of Maggi chicken boullion cubes for 32 cents apiece, my 3 family-sized (double) boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese for $1.12 apiece, or my three 57 cent 150 calorie protein bars.

I DID get McCormick ground Tumeric 1.87 oz and 3 boxes of Streit's Mediterranean Matzos (olive oil & sundried tomahto flavoring), both for $1.05, Cool Whip Reduced Fat (2 @ $.82), Campbell's Beefy Mushroom Condensed Soup (1 @ $.62), Stop & Shop Chopped Spinach 10 OZ BOX $.50, and two 4-packs of Energizer AAA rechargeable batteries-- regular price $15.79, sale price $1.58.  I don't have the recharging equipment, but for that price I can just throw them away when they die.

THE WEIRDNESS CONTINUES:

Sale Price$0.85
Original Price$3.39

Sale Price$1.75
Original Price$6.99

Sale Price$1.62
Original Price$6.49