Limb-Lengthening Surgery - Go or No-Go?

MysticMenace

Go or No-Go?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If you were given the option to have it, would you go through the surgery?

• Yes
    • Maybe - if there's a way to limit the pain and reduce the risk
    • No - the risk outweighs the reward
    • No - I am tall enough
    • No - I already love my height as is.

Have you guys seen this video about limb-lengthening surgery? It sounds like hundreds of patients already have undergone this operation, but medical professionals and patients have mentioned how painful the surgery could be. For those who are vertically challenged or those who just want to be taller, would you go through this procedure?

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

Damn - that's amazing!  Knowing what a mofo orthopedic surgeries are, I don't think I would undergo one for mostly cosmetic reasons.

Read these descriptions and you'll realize this is the mother of all mofos:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/24316-limb-lengthening-surgery

https://www.childrenshospital.org/treatments/limb-lengthening-surgery

I've known someone who went through this.  The scarring on his legs was awful.  He said the pain was immense and that his surgeon said a lot of the people who go through this end up with pain pill addictions.  

Height is one of those born-with things I'm very, very thankful for.  It's served me well.

I'd agree in this instance that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I had no interest in this topic, but after seeing it for days, I had to pop in to see if anyone mentioned The Life and Loves of a She-Devil, a 1983 novel by British author Fay Weldon that was made into a weird but interesting miniseries.

Ruth is an abnormally tall and ugly housewife whose husband, Bobbo, considers their relationship an open marriage based on convenience alone and only married her because he got her pregnant when they were teenagers. Bobbo only truly loves his mistress Mary Fisher, a famous, wealthy romance novelist. When Ruth passionately indicates her disapproval for Bobbo's extramarital affair, he calls her a "she-devil", causing her to reassess her life. She resolves to behave in accordance with the label he has given her.

Bobbo leaves Ruth and their two children and goes to live with Mary, to whom he soon proposes. Ruth plots her revenge on them.

After destroying her hubby and getting rich in the process, Ruth uses her money to change her lifestyle and appearance, undergoing a series of surgeries to completely restructure her body to be identical to Mary.  She has her legs shortened.

In the mediocre movie version (that I have a fondness for), Meryl Streep is a hoot as Mary, Roseanne is effective as Ruth, and A. Martinez flashes some (g-rated) skin as Garcia, Mary's 'houseboy'.  Ed Begley, Jr. plays Bob.  Linda Hunt was also fun.  Ruth doesn't have any surgeries in that version.

This surgery while essentially cosmetic has economic gains attached to it.  Taller people are viewed as more deserving of promotions especially in some Asian cultures.  It seems ridiculous to undergo painful surgery to add a few inches to one's height, but there are many people who will try to advance their career in any way they can.

12 minutes ago, purplekow said:

This surgery while essentially cosmetic has economic gains attached to it.  Taller people are viewed as more deserving of promotions especially in some Asian cultures.  It seems ridiculous to undergo painful surgery to add a few inches to one's height, but there are many people who will try to advance their career in any way they can.

Or you could put the $75,000 toward getting an MBA and see how that advances your career.

16 hours ago, BSR said:

Or you could put the $75,000 toward getting an MBA and see how that advances your career.

This surgery was awhile back very popular in China.  I believe 60 minutes or one such show did a report on it.  Mostly it was being done by people who had been passed over for promotion and who felt they had the qualifications but not the height.  Perhaps a misconception on their part or the reality that taller people and also better looking people get promotions faster than others.

23 hours ago, purplekow said:

Napoleon Bonaparte was the poster boy of a short man getting ahead in life. 

1 hour ago, TruthBTold said:

Actually Napoleon was 5'6/5'7.  This was average for a French man at that time.  

It might have been the average but in those days the average person was poorly nourished, hence the Revolution. The aristocracy tended to be taller. The beheaded king, Louis XVI, was 6’1” before he lost his head. 
The Duke of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon, was 5’9”, not that tall but taller than the average Englishman. 
On the other side of the ocean, Sir Isaac Brock, the fallen hero of the defenders of Canada against the US in the War of 1812, was 6’2”. It made him a big target on the battlefield in his colourful jacket. And a bullet pierced that jacket, in the heart. 

• 4 weeks later...

NEVER! Whenever someone says to me "it must be so nice to be tall," my response is "the world is tailored to short people. You have no idea what it's like to crawl in and out of average cars, plane seats, busses, or any other spot you are crammed into for hours at a time!"

2 hours ago, APPLE1 said:

NEVER! Whenever someone says to me "it must be so nice to be tall," my response is "the world is tailored to short people. You have no idea what it's like to crawl in and out of average cars, plane seats, busses, or any other spot you are crammed into for hours at a time!"

I'm not too tall, 187cm, but that thought came to mind today. I was on a coach (rail track work so they'd replaced trains with buses) and observed that I was at about the upper height limit to fit in the seat with any degree of comfort. I already check the seat pitch when I book flights. There was one five-minute stop where I could have got off, umm I mean disembarked, but didn't feel the need to, so I still had a slight margin!

To each his own….

I do believe in procedures to enhance and maintain one’s appearance to make them look and feel better… 

but I’ve never been a fan of “alterations” (i.e, implants, nose jobs, height surgeries etc.) I feel like people are (for the most part), created in a way where everything fits; And one’s height goes with everything else (shoe

size, hand size, head size, shoulder width, etc.) 

So although  someone who will  get this surgery will be happier with being taller, someone with a trained eye will easily see that something is a bit “imbalanced” with their entire proportions. 

Edited by Monarchy79