Death of a culinary legend...

samhexum

5 hours ago, bashful said:

I loved Sanders growing up in Detroit.  Great hot fudge sundaes at their counter service.  The stuff with the Sander’s label today doesn’t seem as good.

I agree that most of their products today aren't as good.  The only thing that seems to have stood the test of time are the jars of fudge for heating to make the iconic hot fudge sundae.  To me, that fudge still seems as good as when I was a kid in the 60's.

17 hours ago, maninsoma said:

Maybe when the brand started out they had better quality.  I think I bought my first Entenmann's product about 40 years ago and it was definitely mediocre at that point -- about the same as Hostess, another brand that obviously dominated in a business sense but that no one would hail for product quality.

Entenmann's offerings are mostly mediocre with a few exceptions. Their Raspberry Danish is delicious and I've served it to food snobs who thought it was from a fancy bakery. Unfortunately their sale to Bimbo has seen the focus toward their more mass market times that are cello-wrapped and long lasting ( blah ). Very typical of Mexico.

12 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Charles Entenmann was a businessman, not a chef who created the recipes. I'll bet he couldn't even bake a batch of cookies. That said, I still buy Entenmann's products when I want donuts or coffee cake, because I know exactly what I am getting.

Indeed! Second rate pastries!

• 1 year later...

William “Bill” Post — the man who created the beloved toaster treat Pop-Tarts — died on Saturday, his family announced. He was 96.

Post, a Michigan native and son of immigrants who worked his way up from a truck washer to a senior vice president, brightened millions of Americans’ mornings with the sweet pastry that hit the shelves in 1964.

The great-grandfather is often credited with inventing the breakfast treat, though he would always say it was a team effort, according to his obituary.

Post was raised in Grand Rapids as one of seven children of Dutch immigrants. He married his high school sweetheart, Florence Schut, and served in the Army Air Corps in occupied Japan.

At the age of just 16, Post got a part-time gig washing trucks at Hekman Biscuit Company — what would eventually become the Keebler Company.

Five years later he rose to the full-time position of personnel manager “but assisted with sales, production, or anything else that he could learn,” his loved ones wrote in his obit.

Some 20 years later when Post was the plant manager of Hekman, he welcomed executives from Kellogg’s who asked Hekman/Keebler to develop a product they had in mind.

This product would become the Pop-Tart — which is available in nearly every grocery store and supermarket in the US today.

Post did numerous interviews about his invention during his lifetime and every time he said the credit was shared.

“Bill would say, ‘I assembled an amazing team that developed Kellogg’s concept of a shelf-stable toaster pastry into a fine product that we could bring to market in the span of just four months,’,” his death notice states.

He often shared the story of the Pop-Tart with younger generations, hoping to inspire them while always giving out samples of his invention.

Post’s story of the four-month challenge to invent the Pop-Tart has inspired a Netflix film that is scheduled to be released in May.

The movie “Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story” is written and directed by Jerry Seinfeld, who is starring in it alongside a host of big-name comedians.

Ahh, the Pop-Tart, a one time breakfast staple. They pack so much nutrition and goodness in every bite!  Chocolate was always a treat. But these days I’m only into Ho-Hos.

On 3/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Luv2play said:

I agree that the products produced by Entenmanns were mediocre and I only bought them several times in the 80s when they came to my attention in the supermarket where I shopped. I had just moved back from Europe where the pastries were so much better in stores so I stopped buying them. And have never given them a thought since until I saw this thread.

In the 70s guests would say, "Look! I brought some Entenmanns."  And I would think,"So?"

Following in the footsteps of the thread on the death of the founder of Entenmann's bakery, Bozo is sad to report the news of the death of William "Bill" Post, inventor of Pop Tarts:

PEOPLE.COM

William Post, the man who was credited with inventing the Pop-Tart breakfast pastry, died on Saturday. He was 96 years old.

Fortunately, Mr. Post lived long enough to see the Pop Tart Bowl, which included the first ever consumption of a Bowl game mascot:

BTC

5 hours ago, Rudynate said:

In the 70s guests would say, "Look! I brought some Entenmanns."  And I would think,"So?"

Me too. Like I said up-thread, my aunt worked for a bakery and so my entire family got spoiled with their lattice, almond, and raspberry coffee cakes (I can still taste the raspberry), their donuts, birthday cakes, and such. 

10 hours ago, Km411 said:

Ahh, the Pop-Tart, a one time breakfast staple. They pack so much nutrition and goodness in every bite!  Chocolate was always a treat. But these days I’m only into Ho-Hos.

I buy Pop-Tarts when I need some comfort food. Chocolate and brown sugar/cinnamon are my faves.

20 minutes ago, rvwnsd said:

Me too. Like I said up-thread, my aunt worked for a bakery and so my entire family got spoiled with their lattice, almond, and raspberry coffee cakes (I can still taste the raspberry), their donuts, birthday cakes, and such. 

I buy Pop-Tarts when I need some comfort food. Chocolate and brown sugar/cinnamon are my faves.

My father managed an old, old restaurant that had fabulous desserts.  They had a mocha cake that knocked your socks off, wonderful napoleons and chocolate eclairs and they were famous for their chocolate cream pie.  Great apple pie, pumpkin pie and custard pie.  A while ago, I made a custard pie. My husband hadn't heard of them and he didn't think it sounded very good.  He was shocked that something that sounded so bland tasted so good. 

2 hours ago, DynamicUno said:

Entenmann's had a thrift shop in the neighborhood where I grew up.  My mom used to love getting this spice cake they used to sell at that shop.  Sadly it doesn't seem they make that recipe anymore, but that taste would bring back some bittersweet memories for me.

They had one on Queens Blvd until a few years ago; it was replaced by a 7 story apartment building.  I used to stop in whenever I was passing by.

7 minutes ago, dcguy20 said:

I have fond memories of the raspberry danish growing up, and in a moment of weakness purchased one a couple of years ago. They definitely changed the recipe, as it wasn't what I remembered it to be. 

I used to LOVE the blueberry cheese danish.  They stopped making it decades ago.  Oddly, I found one a few years later in the daily delivery to a convenience store near me & bought it - it was just as orgasmic as remembered, but, sadly, I've never seen one again.

13 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

Delicious childhood memories of the Crumb Coffee Cake. Though the brand made it to sunny CA, that product was among the ones phased out too soon. No competition with that cake anywhere on the market. But they still carry some donuts.

??

I liked the pecan danish ring my parents would often bring for 'coffee and' (pronounced Coffee Ann; I always wondered if Coffee Ann's surname was Entenmann) when we went to people's houses.

52 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

Delicious childhood memories of the Crumb Coffee Cake. Though the brand made it to sunny CA, that product was among the ones phased out too soon. No competition with that cake anywhere on the market. But they still carry some donuts.

??

You can still buy their package of individually wrapped "Mini Crumb Cakes," of which I am quite fond for a quick breakfast on my way to the tennis court.

20 minutes ago, Charlie said:

You can still buy their package of individually wrapped "Mini Crumb Cakes," of which I am quite fond for a quick breakfast on my way to the tennis court.

I guess the sugar high kicks in just as you are about to serve up an ace shot.😛

16 hours ago, samhexum said:

William “Bill” Post — the man who created the beloved toaster treat Pop-Tarts — died on Saturday, his family announced. He was 96.

6 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Following in the footsteps of the thread on the death of the founder of Entenmann's bakery, Bozo is sad to report the news of the death of William "Bill" Post, inventor of Pop Tarts

For some reason, your post gave me a feeling of deja vu

Posted November 25, 2022

Christmas is around the corner — and who wouldn’t want to celebrate the holidays in an actual gingerbread house made entirely out of Pop-Tarts?

On Zillow, an off-the-market home described as the Pop-Tarts Gingerbread Lodge at 1 Kellogg’s Square has been listed.

And it looks, well, delicious.

The only problem? It’s probably meant for one of Santa’s little helpers.

Spanning a tiny 35 square feet, Pop-Tarts described the home as “just north of the Wild Berry Woods in the foothills of the Applefritterlachians.”

The pantry-style farmhouse features “frosted finishings” and “a toasty interior,” the listing notes.

Features include a baked kitchen and living room with a frosted chocolate-chip archway.

To celebrate their limited-edition gingerbread Pop-Tarts flavor, the company has featured the home on the real estate site.

According to the listing, the home features built-in frosted raspberry cabinets, with frosted cookies-and-creme counter space. The living room comes with a “crafted Eggo Frosted Maple Flavor” area rug with mid-century modern Frosted Chocolate Fudge furnishings, the listing adds. It also comes with frosted gingerbread Pop-Tarts above the fireplace, posing as an art piece.

The bedroom features Frosted Apple Fritter wallpaper and a sun-drenched reading nook, which “looks out on all .0006 acres of property,” the listing says.

It “is fit for a full-on party that is anything but cookie-cutter,” the listing jokes.

“This pastoral palace has to be seen – and tasted – to be believed.”

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

samhexum