2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1098 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sweet, went ahead and booked at INNDulge - checking in on 4/8 and out on 4/13. Looks like I will have until 2/25/21 to have free cancellation should plans change. I hope they don't.

If there are some members from the DC, MD, VA area planning to join, let me know if you are interested in coordinating travel!

I look forward to meeting some folks next spring!

Joe,

sam.fitzptrick is RIGHT ON. I would strongly recommend that if you don't rent a car you definitely stay in the Warm Sands area. Many of the guys stay at INNdulge. The one thing that I would STRONGLY recommend is that if you are even considering attending you reserve a room ASAP. The Coachella Music Festival is the same weekend and rooms become scarce quickly. If later you change your mind about attending you can easily cancel your room. Sincerely hope you will be able to attend and definitely feel free to ask any and all questions you might have.

I think there’s a strong possibility that Coachella will be postponed; however, making reservations is a must in any case.

I think there’s a strong possibility that Coachella will be postponed; however, making reservations is a must in any case.

I’m hearing rumors here in SoCal of Coachella postponement. Riverside County (wherein Palm Springs is located) just returned to stricter “purple” COVID restrictions.

I’m hearing rumors here in SoCal of Coachella postponement. Riverside County (wherein Palm Springs is located) just returned to stricter “purple” COVID restrictions.

Do the stricter "purple" restrictions apply to the smaller resorts that the Forum members tend to stay at. I know that there were smaller things that were affected, e.g., non-group breakfasts, but was there anything else?

My question is: What will make you comfortable enough to attend he Gathering? Would you attend if an effective vaccine has not been engineered? I desperately want to see everyone but an anxious and uneasy so I am looking for some thoughts that would put a positive spin on attending the gathering in April.

I want to be comfortable enough to hold, hug, touch, kiss and sleep with someone. I want to be intimate with another man. That’s what I miss the most during the pandemic. I do meet with a few people for dinner or lunch, but we wear masks when not eating, maintain our distance and don’t hug when saying good bye. I was planning on last year in PS but we all had to cancel. I want more than anything to see everyone in PS in 2021; but don’t see how until I get the vaccine. Open to comments and suggestions.

Fauci says April for the vaccine. Does that change things for the 2021 event?

I think it depends on how it all rolls out. The FDA has to analyze the data and give the OK to distribute it. One of the experts I saw yesterday said that the vaccine might have to be given in two different doses and must be kept at extremely low temperatures (perhaps -100 F). That means that special freezer units must be distributed to various locations. Moreover according to Pfizer, the U.S. is going to get half of the first manufactured doses (perhaps 50,000 doses) and of those much of the first production will go to those on the front lines and most at risk. So I think it will depend on when Trump allows Biden information about the production in order for the government to begin figuring out how to distribute, when it is given the OK to be distributed, if there is any other vaccine that is OK'd in the mean time that is easier to give out and kept, and who is chosen to get it.

It may be earlier than predicted. Keep your fingers crossed. It is too bad that "uncooperative" has been Trump's middle name.

Professor Ugur Sahin, co-founder of BioNTech (the partner with Pfizer in developing the vaccine) was interviewed at length on BBC TV this morning.

The UK Govt has bought 40 million doses of the vaccine and expects to receive 10 million doses before the end of the year. The vaccine is given in 2 doses, 3 weeks apart. IF, and that’s a big if, the vaccine is approved by the Medical Regulator in the UK, the NHS has plans to roll out the vaccine starting next month. The UK Govt has been keen to downplay the importance of the vaccine but says it’s “hope and not hype”.

Prof Sahin said generally the vaccine would be delivered at the "end of this year, beginning of next year". His goal is to deliver more than 300 million doses worldwide by April 2021 which "could allow us to only start to make an impact". He added that "the infection rate will go down in the summer…absolutely essential is that we get a high vaccination rate until or before autumn/winter next year."

Professor Ugur Sahin, co-founder of BioNTech (the partner with Pfizer in developing the vaccine) was interviewed at length on BBC TV this morning.

The UK Govt has bought 40 million doses of the vaccine and expects to receive 10 million doses before the end of the year. The vaccine is given in 2 doses, 3 weeks apart. IF, and that’s a big if, the vaccine is approved by the Medical Regulator in the UK, the NHS has plans to roll out the vaccine starting next month. The UK Govt has been keen to downplay the importance of the vaccine but says it’s “hope and not hype”.

Prof Sahin said generally the vaccine would be delivered at the "end of this year, beginning of next year". His goal is to deliver more than 300 million doses worldwide by April 2021 which "could allow us to only start to make an impact". He added that "the infection rate will go down in the summer…absolutely essential is that we get a high vaccination rate until or before autumn/winter next year."

Do you know when the say "doses" they mean two shots given as a "dose" or you would have to get two doses to get a course of treatment? If you have to get 2 shot to fulfill a dose the 40 million doses would only be 20 million courses of treatment (or twenty million people of a country of 330 million).

As I understand it, each jab represents one dose. So the 40 million doses would cover 20 million people. The UK population is estimated at some 66 million.

Bear in mind that I’m talking about the UK Govt, not the US. The UK Govt has also purchased large numbers of doses of another 5 vaccines in development (but I don’t know which ones). The UK Prime Minister has urged people not to weaken their resolve with health measures as this BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine is just the first step.

As I understand it, each jab represents one dose. So the 40 million doses would cover 20 million people. The UK population is estimated at some 66 million.

Bear in mind that I’m talking about the UK Govt, not the US. The UK Govt has also purchased large numbers of doses of another 5 vaccines in development (but I don’t know which ones). The UK Prime Minister has urged people not to weaken their resolve with health measures as this BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine is just the first step.

Thanks so much for explaining that. I kept getting confused and it was U.S. experts that I was seeing. It would be interesting to see how they are writing agreements with the various companies when they sign agreements regarding the development. It obviously has to go through the FDA-like departments in the various countries (if they have them). I recall in the quest of the development of a vaccine for HIV there were significant differences in the standards between various countries. I wonder if the same thing has already been taken into consideration.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope must of us would have received the vaccine by then. It will make things easier for everyone...

Cheers!

The "average" person is not expected to get the vaccination until summer, so if you attend, you will be taking your chances. And even AFTER receiving the vaccination, we are still being encouraged to mask wear and social distance until a majority of the population has been inoculated. Good judgement is still necessary.

The "average" person is not expected to get the vaccination until summer, so if you attend, you will be taking your chances. And even AFTER receiving the vaccination, we are still being encouraged to mask wear and social distance until a majority of the population has been inoculated. Good judgement is still necessary.

I’m eyeing my 30 day “no obligation” cancel date for my hotel that weekend ?