2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1098 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The one thing that would definitely make me cancel attending is any mention of moving it to the treasonous "South."

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood, By moving south I thought they meant PV of somewhere like that. Valparaiso in April could have been nice, although perhaps less pool-friendly than PS. It would be well into autumn, after all. But they meant that South!

My question is: What will make you comfortable enough to attend he Gathering?

Great question - I just returned back to Ohio. Here's why I was comfortable heading to Palm Springs this past week.

1) I was comfortable flying. The airports and airlines have been vigorous in enforcing the mandatory mask protocols and I've not heard of any recent cases of transmission on a flight. (not sure I've heard of any, for that point)

2) I knew I could easily maintain social distance at INNdulge by simply returning to my room if things got uncomfortable for me. I reserved a cabana on days I expected to be poolside most of the day and that further assisted with the distancing.

3) Restaurants were still outside dining only when I departed for PSP and here in Ohio, I've been comfortable with outdoor dining when I've attended.

Things that reinforced the decision for me when I arrived at INNdulge:

4) INNdulge has changed its arrival process and has closed the lobby. I came through a side gate to a table set up just at the lobby's pool side entrance. The closing at the lobby also made it less likely that non-registered guests came in to meet guests prior to going out to dinner.

5) The staff wore masks the entire time.

6) While the breakfast menu was consistent with my previous visits, it was no longer self-serve (aside from the coffee.) You made your request and the staff member provided it to you while masked and gloved as was the guest. The social hour was also no longer self service, with the proprietor Sandy pouring beverages.

7) Housekeeping changed. The staff no longer enters the rooms while guests have them. Every other day, we were provided a bag of fresh towels and placed used towels in a bag outside our door. We also set trash bags out for pick up. Within minutes of a guest checking out of a room, I saw the staff go in with a disinfectant steamer (not sure exactly it was) and then an hour or so later when in to clean the room.

8) Tables have been spread apart (no longer two tables abutted thus allowing four guests to sit together for breakfast) and somewhat relocated further apart.

Great question - I just returned back to Ohio. Here's why I was comfortable heading to Palm Springs this past week.

1) I was comfortable flying. The airports and airlines have been vigorous in enforcing the mandatory mask protocols and I've not heard of any recent cases of transmission on a flight. (not sure I've heard of any, for that point)

2) I knew I could easily maintain social distance at INNdulge by simply returning to my room if things got uncomfortable for me. I reserved a cabana on days I expected to be poolside most of the day and that further assisted with the distancing.

3) Restaurants were still outside dining only when I departed for PSP and here in Ohio, I've been comfortable with outdoor dining when I've attended.

4) INNdulge has changed its arrival process and has closed the lobby. I came through a side gate to a table set up just at the lobby's pool side entrance. The closing at the lobby also made it less likely that non-registered guests came in to meet guests prior to going out to dinner.

5) The staff wore masks the entire time.

6) While the breakfast menu was consistent with my previous visits, it was no longer self-serve (aside from the coffee.) You made your request and the staff member provided it to you while masked and gloved as was the guest. The social hour was also no longer self service, with the proprietor Sandy pouring beverages.

7) Housekeeping changed. The staff no longer enters the rooms while guests have them. Every other day, we were provided a bag of fresh towels and placed used towels in a bag outside our door. We also set trash bags out for pick up. Within minutes of a guest checking out of a room, I saw the staff go in with a disinfectant steamer (not sure exactly it was) and then an hour or so later when in to clean the room.

8) Tables have been spread apart (no longer two tables abutted thus allowing four guests to sit together for breakfast) and somewhat relocated further apart.

If I understood you correctly, you made your own bed? God help us all. Isn't that half the fun of hotel going? I can bear with muffin menus but making my own bed. Someone has gone too far. ;) (Actually I am staying at Hacienda. I am glad you told me about INNdulge so I can check how things are going there.)

If I understood you correctly, you made your own bed?

Correct, I made the bed. And in case my mother stumbles across this message, the bed was made before I had breakfast to be presentable for any friends that wanted to go to my room to play.

(That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

Correct, I made the bed. And in case my mother stumbles across this message, the bed was made before I had breakfast to be presentable for any friends that wanted to go to my room to play.

(That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

Well, actually, it would be the same as every one of my other days. I force myself to make my bed as soon as I get up otherwise I would end up in it all day long (and the worst part alone).

• 3 weeks later...

☝ This makes me feel comfortable. I'm determined to make it to Palm Springs next Spring. Time will tell as to how safe I will feel working or engaging sexually, but having the company and the setting of Palm Springs is enough motivation for me. Miss y'all bunches!

??

My question is: What will make you comfortable enough to attend he Gathering? Would you attend if an effective vaccine has not been engineered? I desperately want to see everyone but an anxious and uneasy so I am looking for some thoughts that would put a positive spin on attending the gathering in April.

There are different issues involved. Those traveling have even more. As for the pool event, there may still be limits on how many people are allowed to congregate together. Much of the event is outside, but in the past many have gathered indoors, especially around the food. The "closeness' to others is a factor which would deter me from going absent a successful vaccine or treatment. From what I have seen so far, too many people drop their masks once past the door. I would not expose myself to that, unless I had known antibodies. Those who have traveled to Palm Springs by air may have been exposed and not know it yet. Problematic! Please tell me where I am wrong as I would like to see Oliver succeed with the 2021 event.

Lucky the answers to your questions are simple. At this point in time there are NO answers. There may or may not be answers around the end of February. My UNeducated guess is that by February or March there will NOT be a successful vaccine though there may be a more effective treatment than currently exists. Everybody is going to have to decide for themselves what they are willing to do and not willing do. I am flying to Puerto Vallarta on November 7th for a week -- that is my choice. I am flying to the Midwest to accompany Oliver on his road trip to Palm Springs the end of January -- that is my choice.

Now god willing and the creek don't rise and the governors doesn't come up with some new hair braided idea I plan to be in Palm Springs for the Weekend. It may not be possible but I will wait to cross that bridge in a couple of months. My suggestion to anybody and everybody considering attending is make your plans and reservations NOW but be prepared to cancel IF necessary.

I have missed only two of the PS Weekends, because I had commitments elsewhere. In 2021, if I am alive, I will be at home. However, I have the same concerns as Lucky about attending. We still don't know what the local and state ordinances will be in regard to various elements of the weekend. Even if the dinner has to be held outside, there are limits now on the size of groups that can dine together, which may still be imposed in 2021. Trio may not be an available venue, since they have very limited outdoor dining space, and they probably won't give it all up to us. The number of people who can attend a social gathering even at a private home is currently limited, and social distancing and masks are required. What is the Sunday party without physical intimacy?! Will we need to print our Hooboy handles on our masks to recognize one another? Commercial buffets are not allowed to operate, and what is a party without deviled eggs? What if it rains? (It never has as far as I can remember, but one year it was pretty cold to socialize outdoors.) For those of us who have spent months self-isolating, the PS Weekend is like suddenly jumping into an ice-cold pool, and may be more anxiety-inducing than stimulating. I hope things will be more normal here in April than they are now, but I am not confident that the event will resemble what we have experienced in the past.

Potentially a stupid question, but a lot of my questions are - so, here we go. Does Palm Springs have Uber or are traveling folks planning to get rental cars? I don't know how close or far away these places are from each other or where folks tend to congregate (in a socially-distanced manner).

Potentially a stupid question, but a lot of my questions are - so, here we go. Does Palm Springs have Uber or are traveling folks planning to get rental cars? I don't know how close or far away these places are from each other or where folks tend to congregate (in a socially-distanced manner).

Yes to both Uber and rental car. It depends on what other things you are planning to do while there and where you are staying. In most cases, the bars are close enough to walk if you are staying in the Warm Sands area or Uber is available for longer trips. If you are staying at one of the resorts where other Forum members are, many often carpool together to the Saturday dinner and Sunday's pool party.

I personally usually get a rental car as I often stay for a longer period of time and take a day trip to visit relatives in a nearby town.

Yes to both Uber and rental car. It depends on what other things you are planning to do while there and where you are staying. In most cases, the bars are close enough to walk if you are staying in the Warm Sands area or Uber is available for longer trips. If you are staying at one of the resorts where other Forum members are, many often carpool together to the Saturday dinner and Sunday's pool party.

I personally usually get a rental car as I often stay for a longer period of time and take a day trip to visit relatives in a nearby town.

Thanks! I will probably need to re-read the thread to figure out which resorts most forum members are planning to book. Carpools are fun, especially if we all do carpool karaoke (with masks on, of course)!

Joe,

sam.fitzptrick is RIGHT ON. I would strongly recommend that if you don't rent a car you definitely stay in the Warm Sands area. Many of the guys stay at INNdulge. The one thing that I would STRONGLY recommend is that if you are even considering attending you reserve a room ASAP. The Coachella Music Festival is the same weekend and rooms become scarce quickly. If later you change your mind about attending you can easily cancel your room. Sincerely hope you will be able to attend and definitely feel free to ask any and all questions you might have.

Edited by Epigonos