2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1112 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well I am a mid century modern myself. it is enough that nature is tearing me down, now they want to replacement me with something new? I WILL NOT GO Gentle into that GOOD NIGHT. RAGE RAGE AGAINST THE DYING OF THE LIGHT. So I will be in Palm Springs raging no matter the accommodations or the furniture as long as I can fuck on it.

Do you remember the term "planned obsolescence"?

Yes, but the term is an abomination! A plot by the capitalists and plutocrats to rob working people of their money by forcing them to replace things that shouldn't have broken. (*Sings 'We'll keep the red flag flying here!'*)

*Disclaimer: This is mock outrage, it should not be construed as a serious political comment.*

When I think of it, my mother wanted a new kitchen in 1955 after her dad died and left her some money. So she got all new appliances to go with her dream kitchen. And those appliances lasted forever.

The refrigerator, a Frigidaire, was still doing duty in the basement of our cottage in 2013 when we sold the place.

When I think of it, my mother wanted a new kitchen in 1955 after her dad died and left her some money. So she got all new appliances to go with her dream kitchen. And those appliances lasted forever.

The refrigerator, a Frigidaire, was still doing duty in the basement of our cottage in 2013 when we sold the place.

Today’s appliances have put the lonely Maytag repair man back in business!

8-A051-F8-B-9626-4-B1-C-B21-A-4-BC68-DD56042.jpg

Getting back to the original Palm Springs Weekend. I was supposed to have sinus surgery on the 23rd. My pre-surgery covid test came back positive. and the surgery center where the procedure was to take place canceled it. At the insistence of my primary physician I had a second covid test which came back negative. Until Monday when I will be able to speak with my primary physician and my ears, nose, and throat physician I am in limbo. Now to the point, based on the original positive test I received a call yesterday from a nurse at the Orange County Health Department. After I explained the situation, including the fact that I am totally asymptomatic, she agreed with me that the first test was most likely a "false" positive. She further explained the "false" positives are quite common. We had a very pleasant conversation during which she stated that she now assumed that my mid-June 2121 everybody in Orange County would have had the vaccine available. Now I'm 80 so I assume that by the time of the Palm Springs Weekend I will have had the vaccine. Thus, I plan to be there, deviled eggs and all, with bells on my toes, ready to party.

Edited by Epigonos

If I remember correctly, the term "planned obsolescence" originally surfaced in regard to General Motors designs in the 1950s.

I think that’s right. Our family cars never lasted more than 5 years. But we were rough on them as they had to navigate gravel roads to our cottage that lasted well into the 1950s. And the car would be loaded down with four kids, a dog, food to last at least a week, and luggage. Then in the winter, the salt on the roads in Montreal would eat away at them from the bottom.

Even so cars are much better built today and last longer.

My Mercedes turned 20 this year and is still going strong! Lol

I think that’s right. Our family cars never lasted more than 5 years. But we were rough on them as they had to navigate gravel roads to our cottage that lasted well into the 1950s. And the car would be loaded down with four kids, a dog, food to last at least a week, and luggage. Then in the winter, the salt on the roads in Montreal would eat away at them from the bottom.

Even so cars are much better built today and last longer.

My Mercedes turned 20 this year and is still going strong! Lol

The two cars I had the longest--thirteen years each--were a Mercedes E320 and a Honda Element. Both were still in excellent shape when I traded them in. The two that I kept the shortest time were a 1954 Mercury and a 1966 Ford; both were junk that I couldn't wait to get rid of after a couple of months.

The two cars I had the longest--thirteen years each--were a Mercedes E320 and a Honda Element. Both were still in excellent shape when I traded them in. The two that I kept the shortest time were a 1954 Mercury and a 1966 Ford; both were junk that I couldn't wait to get rid of after a couple of months.

I had a 72 Ford Cougar, which was a lovely little car but impossible to drive with the pollution controls, which screwed up the carburetor, and it was forever stalling. I only kept it a year.

14 years later I bought a 72 Cutlass convertible, (same year as the Cougar) which was a beautiful car to drive in the summer and had no drivability issues with whatever pollution controls GM had put on it. I did manage to drive it into the ground however, with the rough mountain roads to my cottage. LOL

I was joking (see my winking emoticon).......forum threads here are notorious for drifting off topic......this one got to about 235 posts before drifting......most don't make it past 15 or so

Yes, I picked up on Mr. Winky. I tend to read the latest first and then work back depending on the topic.

The BNP Paribas tennis tournament set for March has been postponed. At the moment, I wouldn't advise anyone to travel to Southern California. COVID is rampant. March might be better, but it's not looking good. Maybe April will fool us!