Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

The rules in my local supermarkets seem to change every few days. This morning my Albertson's had one-way aisles, and an employee at checkout whose job was to enforce the six foot separation between customers. There was also a SaranWrap-type cover on the charge card keypad, that could be changed for each customer who used it.

Albertson's owns Von's (in Southern California) and Safeway (in Northern CA); at the local safeway they don't have saran-wrap for the keypad, but they do have a container of alcohol wipes. They will not let me bring my used paper bags into the store, but they will let me go out of the store with the items back in the cart unbagged, and I can bag them myself at my car, if I ask the checker (and show the receipt to the security guard).

Visited this morning:

- Employee wiping down every cart hand handing to each customer.

- Queuing the max store occupants though it wasn’t crowded enough to trigger.

- One way aisles.

- Hanging plexiglass shields between customer and cashier.

- There were employees restocking shelves in at least half the aisles - clearly fresh and dry goods coming in.

- No paper products, no dry pasta, few canned vegetables (but lots of soup... go figure).

- Lots of alcohol with extra boxes stacked in the aisles.

- Lots of chicken but limited beef.

Just got back from my local SoCal Sprouts. Store empty of customers, most Food shelves full. Some staples/flours/cereals a little low but not empty. Full supplies of produce, meat, dairy.

Limit on certain items like eggs… I got two 18 packs ??

I mostly went in for some fresh basil for tonight’s Lenten Good Friday pesto. I needed very few items, Whole Foods and Instacart have been taking good care of me at home. Also Imperfect Produce.

Just back from the store. They had almost everything like toilet paper, bleach and paper towels. What they did not have were paper napkins (plenty of paper plates). They did not have the “pop-up” wipes out of a can.

People were well behaved and about 80% were wearing masks. Store was not crowded. Plenty of flowers (including lilies for Easter) and Easter candy. Full staff and registers had only a single person wait and no long lines.

I expect a bigger crowd on Saturday buying for a special Easter dinner on Sunday.

I have to be honest and say I haven’t gone to the store in a week and a half. I had stocked up on food but I will need to go soon and I’m a bit apprehensive about it... it really feels like I’m in a weird dream...

every store's different almost at random. some are stocked and few customers, others have lines down the block. many

let over-60's in early.

every store's different almost at random. some are stocked and few customers, others have lines down the block. many

let over-60's in early.

Thanks. I’ve always hated going to the supermarket even in normal times; I’ll need to deal with it and just do it.

I live near a Trader Joe's and they constantly have long queues. So I have been going to Safeway more often. Never any lines going in but one-way aisles, plexiglass for the check-outs and most people wearing masks including the employees.

Most things were available except sanitizer-type stuff. TP was low but still available. They are only allowing one pack per customer.

No shortages at all at my local health food grocery. I passed by TJ’s on the way back from a long bike ride, but there was a long queue outside so I went to my much nicer store and got everything I needed including Applewood smoked bacon.

I live near a Trader Joe's and they constantly have long queues. So I have been going to Safeway more often. Never any lines going in but one-way aisles, plexiglass for the check-outs and most people wearing masks including the employees.

Most things were available except sanitizer-type stuff. TP was low but still available. They are only allowing one pack per customer.

I was a long-time fan of TJ’s, but not so much lately.

I have driven by Costco several times but the lines have been around the block. Ralphs has lines as well. Each time I have gone to Walmart early in the morning I have just walked in and gotten everything I have needed. Today I tried their delivery service the woman hand a mask but no gloves. Ot sure how I feel about that. I wiped down everything. Today I went to Grocery outlet and they had everything I needed with no lines. Eggs Milk etc. There was a weirdo with no gloves or mask singing and dancing to Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" Thank God I am well stocked for now so I shouldn't need to go out for a while.

I'm very disappointed...When shopping at Publix today about 50% of the shoppers wore the mask and gloves....the other 50% acted as if nothing had happened...They had neither gloves or mask and congregated in the aisles blocking the way...touching everything with no protection.. The floors were clearly marked one way...with signs mentioning gloved and masks..

I asked the manager about that..He said he can't control how people protect themselves... Weird and not helpful at all....The store was packed.....

I hurried up and left....I will mention it again on Monday at the corporate office in Lakeland

We live in Ortega a supposed enlightened area...meme.health_020_sign_no_mask.gloves.service_360_sfw.jpg.81b5b9360f85c4f8c5ef82915f89c715.jpg

I'm very disappointed...When shopping at Publix today about 50% of the shoppers wore the mask and gloves....the other 50% acted as if nothing had happened...They had neither gloves or mask and congregated in the aisles blocking the way...touching everything with no protection.. The floors were clearly marked one way...with signs mentioning gloved and masks..

I asked the manager about that..He said he can't control how people protect themselves... Weird and not helpful at all....The store was packed.....

I hurried up and left....I will mention it again on Monday at the corporate office in Lakeland

We live in Ortega a supposed enlightened area...meme.health_020_sign_no_mask.gloves.service_360_sfw.jpg.81b5b9360f85c4f8c5ef82915f89c715.jpg

In the garden state we just need to wear masks. I don’t have gloves but use a mask and I have Purell and always wash my hands and the packaging when I bring it home. At the end of the day I treat whatever I buy as it it were contaminated and disinfect it when I get home. I’m a germophobe in general so this whole situation sucks...

Today I tried their delivery service the woman hand a mask but no gloves.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest about that. Hands are not intrinsically a problem, the issue is that they touch things and can transfer virus to other things that they touch. If you wear gloves (unless you change them every time you touch anything) you will still pick up virus on them, and I've heard suggestions that the virus adheres better to latex than it does to skin and survives longer. I hate the expression, but there's an element of virtue signalling in mandating wearing gloves, and there's also the risk that wearing them will generate a level of complacency. Hand sanitiser at the entry to the shop and again at the checkout is probably more effective. And contactless payment. For the last month the most common words I've heard have been, 'Wash your hands'. That said, if an establishment mandates gloves, just do what they say. And I would say if a shop does that they should supply gloves as you enter, and insist that you throw away any that you were wearing and use theirs.

Edited by mike carey

As a retail business owner, I can tell you that would place a tremendous barrier that would be impossible surmount. We provide gloves and masks to all our employees as it became clear this was serious. Almost immediately the complaints started. "they make my hands sweat; my hands are like prunes when I wear them; the masks aren't comfortable; i don't like the color.....

We have been insistent that everyone working follow the safety practices. Have even kicked customers out who aren't willing to try at least to cover their face with their shirt (if they aren't wearing a mask), respectfully wait their turn or practice social distancing. Yes, we are losing customers. It's worth it compared to losing lives.

Anything covering our mouth/nose area is more for protecting others than protecting you from them. If you are sick or unknowingly infected, it cuts down the amount of airborne droplets you unknowingly are spreading to uninfected people. Only first responders or those constantly interacting with lots of people (essential workers) need to wear N95 rated masks to enhanced protection. Wearing a masks also significantly cuts down on our habit of touching our face which is the primary means this virus is spread. Don't think any of us realized just much we touch our face out of blind habit until this all happened. Washing your hands will save your life. Do it anytime a dirty thought cross your mind and you will be breeze thru this. :p

Washing your hands will save your life. Do it anytime a dirty thought cross your mind and you will be breeze thru this. :p
If I followed your advice, the skin on my hands would fall off because of the frequency of the scrubbing ???