Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

The Taiwanese FDA approved recycling the N95 by placing them in a rice cooker (no water) and pressing the cook button for 3 minutes and letting it sit for 5 minutes afterwards before removing. It can be done 3 to 4 times without any loss in effectiveness provided the mask has not been soiled.

[quote="Keith30309,

There is a microwave procedure that is now being used as well. I know a nurse in NYC who is doing that and had a face book post showing how it should be done.

I have about 5 N95 masks that are probably at least 10 years old. I plan on using one or two for the grocery store and wondering if spraying with 91% alcohol will be sufficient to sterile. I only have a few pairs of disposable gloves but have some polyester blend winter gloves that I use and then toss in wash or alcohol spray. The problem is, as someone on here mentioned, as soon as you touch something in the store, you should consider them contaminated. There was a Youtube video showing a woman in the grocery store with gloves and then she touched her keys, which then went back into her purse, etc. It seems like an endless cycle.

I get home, empty my pockets, toss the clothes into the wash (keep the lid already open!) then wash hands. Then toss in detergents, etc. and start wash. Then sanitize groceries, wash hands, then sanitize phone, wallet, etc. Wash hands again twice and then wash face (OK, I am obsessive now). My friend is now putting his phone in a baggie so if he needs to use it while out he can. Comes home opens the bag and lets the phone slip out, then tosses baggy and washes hands.

What is everyone doing to disinfect produce?

I am in your boat and doing much of the same things to keep from getting the virus. However, the sad fact is, unless there is a vaccine, we will need to keep doing this.

The virus will stay around in one form or another for the foreseeable future. Unless, there is constant testing life will not return to “normal.” In theory, we could go out and be with recovered victims who now have antibodies but what of other people like ourselves who have never been sick and do not have self-immunity? Unless continually tested, one of us could be asymptotic and carrying the virus and unknowingly be spreading it to others without the antibodies.

Will we be tested before boarding an airplane or entering a theater? Will there be temperature monitors at entrances to buildings?

We are still learning about this virus and the cases in South Korea where people who have recovered and tested negative only to later test positive are frightening. Can the virus be dormant and reactivate? Maybe. We do not yet know. I had chickenpox when I was a child and the virus reactivated six decades later as shingles.

Some viruses do not have a vaccine after decades of research like HIV/AIDS. Hopefully, this virus will have a vaccine.

My fear is all the things both you and I are doing will need to continue for a very long time.

Regarding masks, the problem is getting them. All local stores, and retailer’s websites are sold out. Last two times I went to the grocery store, wore a winter scarf.

Back on the 7th, I went on Amazon and ordered a box of 50 masks, and 3 washable masks. Amazon said the box would arrive between 15th and 20th, and washable masks would not arrive until the 30th at the earliest. Checked today, and all it says for the box of 50 is “label created, not yet in system” (USPS), and for the washable masks, just says “label created“ (UPS) in China. That was the same info I got when I looked at the tracking info on the 9th, and on the 10th. And, I paid for expedited shipping for the box of masks which was about $35, while the cost of the box of masks was $24 or thereabouts. I think I’ve been scammed and will never see them.

So, on the 10th, I searched online some more, and found a box of 50 at Newegg.com. They limit sales to one box only. A couple bucks cheaper than Amazon, and no extra charge for shipping. Tracked it yesterday, and it says “in transit” from California, should get it by Thursday, the 14th. Keeping my fingers crossed. Those winter scarfs and old pillow case bandanas are hard to breath through without fogging up my glasses.

My box of masks from Newegg.com arrived today as scheduled. (I notice I said Thurs., not Tues. in first message). They were actually $29.99, but no shipping charge, so with tax, total just under $32.00.

As for Amazon, and overpriced expedited shipping on the box of masks, we'll see. It says in transit, but still in China, the other still says label created, but not in system. Not going to be in a hurry to use Amazon as my go to for online purchases. I'm beginning to think Prime ain't worth a dime.

Edited by bashful

Today was the first day since all this craziness began that our local Kroger (Fred Meyer) had TP on the shelves at 4PM- usually its all gone within an hour or two of the store opening. Got plenty for now, so I left it for some other poor soul in need, hope I don't regret that in a month or so!

Ha ! I just scored toilet paper at Staples.com after being unable to find any in any store.... was down to a couple of rolls.

Victory is sweet ! Make America Great Again !

TP must be rolling to stores again. This morning my Trader Joes had both their 6-pack and the new single roll stuff (for .59!).

My box of masks from Newegg.com arrived today as scheduled. (I notice I said Thurs., not Tues. in first message). They were actually $29.99, but no shipping charge, so with tax, total just under $32.00.

As for Amazon, and overpriced expedited shipping on the box of masks, we'll see. It says in transit, but still in China, the other still says label created, but not in system. Not going to be in a hurry to use Amazon as my go to for online purchases. I'm beginning to think Prime ain't worth a dime.

I have several of the cheap masks ordered from China on Amazon and I noticed they put a "USPS" tracking number on which USPS does not recognize. Maybe it's a Chinese tracking # or maybe it's fake. Anyway at $5 for 50 I'm not cancelling until delivery time from China is past. I've actually had better luck on ebay.

I have several of the cheap masks ordered from China on Amazon and I noticed they put a "USPS" tracking number on which USPS does not recognize. Maybe it's a Chinese tracking # or maybe it's fake. Anyway at $5 for 50 I'm not cancelling until delivery time from China is past. I've actually had better luck on ebay.

A similar order of masks I placed with Amazon on March 28 were supposedly shipped three days later on March 31.

They're not scheduled to arrive until June 5.

A similar order of masks I placed with Amazon on March 28 were supposedly shipped three days later on March 31.

Seems anything you order from Amazon comes from China. I am getting tired of ordering stuff that wont be delivered for 2 months... Seems to be the same at alot of sites. I placed a huge order from Omaha Steaks, and although that isnt coming from China. its been a week and they haven't even "packed" my order yet.... I guess every business is stretched to the limit these days ?

Edited by jjkrkwood

Seems anything you order from Amazon comes from China. I am getting tired of ordering stuff that wont be delivered for 2 months... Seems to be the same at alot of site. I placed a huge order from Omaha Steaks, and allow that isnt coming from China. its been a week and they haven't even "packed" my order yet.... I guess every business is stretched to the limit these days ?

Just wait until you won't be able to get medication (if you happen to take it). There is a large amount manufactured there and it won't be getting here. So we better start getting our act together to make some ourselves.

I'm not sure China verifies items being shipped like USPS does. And the Chinese companies give fake (or Chinese) shipping numbers that USPS doesn't recognize. I've had many Chinese packages show up in under 2 weeks, regardless of "estimated arrival", and I've had many never show up. I'm surprised Amazon lets some of these firms get away with so much. Iseem to have better luck on Ebay with Chinese shippers.

The Amazon masks ordered on the 7th, with a delivery date of 15-20 April, at a cost of $35.00 extra for "expedited" shipping arrived on the 16th. Newegg did better. Ordered on the 10th (actually late at night the 9th);, delivered on the 14th. Free shipping, but $7.00 more for the masks.

The washable masks, not quoted to arrive until the 30th at the earliest, still have the USPS tracking that says label printed, but not yet in system.

Hope your's arrive.

Edited by bashful

Just returned home from my weekly trip to the grocery. Took longer than usual as I needed to grab a couple of items from the pharmacy section and it has been rearranged since the last time I bought bar soap. The men's Dove soap had been moved to be located with the shaving items and not the other bar soap. While there was no toilet paper on the shelves, this week the other paper products (facial tissues, paper towel) were fully stocked.

I wore a mask (received in yesterday's mail from my mother who had made some) rather than the scarf I have worn out the last two weeks. It was surprising that nearly a third of the customers and half of the employees were not wearing masks.

As I drove home, I realized that I have not filled the gas tank since I started working from home five weeks ago. And I still have more than a half tank left.