Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Making lasagna today. I'll be looking for ricotta (or cottage cheese in a pinch as a substitute).

My local Aldi had plenty of ricotta when I was there two days ago. Big plastic sieve-like containers, about a kilo by the look of them.

Not much use to you though.

I found bread and milk today at the store. No peanut butter.

I've set up a disinfecting station in the garage for incoming from the store. Once disinfected everything goes in a transfer tote inside the door. Then all clothes off, into the washing machine, and I scamper into the shower to clean off any potential incoming virus.

I'm kind of doing the same, tossing the clothes into the washing machine, spraying down the coat, disinfecting groceries and then the counter, double washing my hands and then washing my face. Now I might start jumping into the shower also. Also then wipe down all the doorknobs and light switches. Sounds extreme, but since it now seems to be spread by talking and breathing, well, if it gives me a bit of peace of mind, why not.

...have enough paper towels, but as of today (04.04.20), the major shops that I frequent are still out of toilet paper. I have one roll left and very few tissues. Guess I'll go out tomorrow (early) and see if any are available in some other places.

...was at Trader Joe's last week, and the lovely greeter and helper who was at the door relayed that if I am in need of certain products, ring ahead and they'll hold for me. Think I'll do this tomorrow (Palm Sunday 2020).

...have enough paper towels, but as of today (04.04.20), the major shops that I frequent are still out of toilet paper. I have one roll left and very few tissues. Guess I'll go out tomorrow (early) and see if any are available in some other places.

...was at Trader Joe's last week, and the lovely greeter and helper who was at the door relayed that if I am in need of certain products, ring ahead and they'll hold for me. Think I'll do this tomorrow (Palm Sunday 2020).

Amazon surprisingly has TP sometimes now. Also Walmart.com

Of course it might be risky letting it sit on your front porch. Ask for delivery notification.

If they don’t find a cure or vaccine soon, a male sex doll might become a shopping item. I would look for the “Latin Top“ model with several thick “accessory attachments“ ?

14-Tyler-Complete-1024x706.jpg

If they don’t find a cure or vaccine soon, a male sex doll might become a shopping item. I would look for the “Latin Top“ model with several thick “accessory attachments“ ?

Or maybe this one?

d042a0446263ec6a172d204cb66b34c9-gabriel-gay.jpg

You can pick your skin tone. Maybe I'll take "dolce":

Pq9r7E0gE4HLf31QuqDdNs38iJlD4ZGZSVSjOoEx2llF3P9LsU0Lwlr9dHU78Fc3N1AsR-b-VRyKINkTth-FnU8vMxdUZTrcSVialBbr76pYTqUbPOKE

This morning my Kroger had plastic freezer bags over the checkout keypads. Am I missing something, or does this just move the problem from the keys to the bag? It could help if they changed the bag after every customer, but I didn't see that.

I was wearing gloves, so it was an academic question for me. But it didn't make much sense to me.

I agree. All those credit card machines should be re-programmed to be like Costco. Insert card, wait for it to say remove card, and your're done. No hands touching the machine. No having to use the attached "pen" to sign. None of that stuff like; do you want to contribute to this or that cause, or how was your shopping experience, and have to press the screen to respond.

Edit. In the Chicago area, Mariano's is the only store that I've been to that is similar to Costco. Jewel, Shop and Save, and Meijer credit card machines all require using the "pen" or touching the machine in some way.

Edited by bashful

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/food/article/21127487/trader-joes-on-14th-street-nw-is-closed-until-saturday-after-employee-tests-positive-for-covid19?fbclid=IwAR0m2gTPfcgIBuRDp3jABE0fGAz6vFRO7S4Z1Tf9xJx_sA_Vnr05PLS6mkI

A lot of grocery store employees are testing positive or getting sick. This story by my house doesn't even mention two other local Trader Joes that have closed for scrubbing after an employee got sick. The large supermarkets are not even closing to clean. When you must go in any grocery wear the best mask you have, glasses, and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. Shower and change clothes when back home.

Several DC grocery stores have had employees with coronavirus with a couple deaths. New emergency rules: masks on customers, one-way aisles, plastic partitions, line-up outside to get in, gloves and masks on workers, etc. Should have been done a month ago as grocery stores are obvious petri dishes.

https://dcist.com/story/20/04/09/shoppers-are-now-required-to-wear-a-mask-in-d-c-grocery-stores/

Shoppers Are Now Asked To Wear Masks In D.C. Grocery Stores

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser on Tuesday issued a new order mandating that stores post signage at store entrances instructing shoppers to cover their faces with a mask or other covering while shopping. It also limits how many people can be in the store at one time to allow social distancing, requires hand sanitizers or wipes to be available at the entrance, and encourages stores to use one-way aisles.

The order also includes new rules for grocers — they have to check employees for symptoms and install plastic shields in checkout lines by April 20 and immediately end self-service food stations like hot buffets and salad bars. Workers who interact with the public must be provided with masks and gloves if possible.

The rules in my local supermarkets seem to change every few days. This morning my Albertson's had one-way aisles, and an employee at checkout whose job was to enforce the six foot separation between customers. There was also a SaranWrap-type cover on the charge card keypad, that could be changed for each customer who used it.