Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

I had a need for a bunch of croissants (my turn to bring breakfast in our rotating breakfast club at work). $6.00 for a dozen croissants at Costco, $3 apiece at Panera. I'm a loyal customer, although living alone, I do fall into the "their sizes are WAY too big for me" category often.

I mean why wouldn't you need a 5 lb jar of peanut butter? Especially when you can get a six pack of these suckers at Amazon! :oops:

51e744glvoL._SX385_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX385SY441SH20_.jpg

I mean why wouldn't you need a 5 lb jar of peanut butter? Especially when you can get a six pack of these suckers at Amazon! :oops:

When I tried to do the math on how long it would take me to work my way through 30 lbs of peanut butter, my brain curled up into a ball and pulled the blanket over its head! Now my brain hurts! :D

Small-25mm-Lapel-Pin-Button-Badge-Novelty-My.jpg

Regarding this thread I’m about to make two very different observations. The first is strictly my opinion and thus open to discussion and disagreement. The second is fact and is verifiable.

Number One:

In a Western Democracies the government is dependent on the volunteer compliance of the public to their rules, regulations, and laws. The government cannot arbitrarily shoot or imprison large number of its citizens if those citizens refuse to comply with government rules, regulations, and laws. As a case in point; over this last weekend large numbers of people, mostly in the 20 to 40 age group, congregated on the beaches and in the parks of Northern and Southern California. They, most certainly, did not practice safe distancing but they did party big time. Governor Newsom was so furious that he ordered all the parking lots at state beaches and park closed immediately. As the number of people refusing to comply with these new state rules, regulations, and laws increases the government will quickly lose control. A physician recently addressed an adjunct of this very point during an interview. The doctor claimed that increasing numbers of people in the 20 to 40 age group category believe that the coronavirus is an old peoples problem NOT theirs. The doctor stated that unfortunately they are essentially correct. If they contract the virus they will be ill for a short time and recover. The problem is that they will pass it on to older people, who facing the consequences of this groups actions, will die in increasing numbers. A second point here is that government officials are mostly elected politicians and their greatest fear is that they won’t get reelected. Therefore if an ever increasing number of citizens refuse to comply with the virus regulations elected official will begin to waver. My guess is that if things don’t loosen up considerably by the middle of May the shit is going to hit the fan.

Number Two:

Those of you who are milk users may want to consider looking for organic milk. My local market had an ample supply of organic milk but no regular milk. Organic milk differs in only three ways from regular grocery store milk. First the cows that are used to provide the organic milk are NOT given growth hormones or antibiotics. The lack of the two items does not change the flavor of the milk. Second in the preparation of organic milk the milk is heated to a much higher temperature than is regular grocery store pasteurized milk. This causes organic milk to have an incredibly long shelf life – it doesn’t even have to be refrigerated. However, it does change the flavor of the milk. Treating the milk at the higher temperature causes the sugar in the milk to caramelize and thus organic milk is considerably sweeter than regular pasteurized grocery milk.

Come get me on Number One and if you don’t believe me on Number Two google “the difference between organic milk and regular pasteurized milk”.

I believe you are too soon in such negative comments about young people. Doctors have been quick to warn that everyone is in danger of contacting the coronavirus. It was a bit of a correction of earliest information.

Am I happy about this, the answer is no. But, give it more time, please.

Really? It's never referred to that way in Canada. Just the actual scientific label COVID19

There's one word in there that offers a clue as to why. It starts with C. Similarly in this country, you only hear the term when it's about one individual using it and his possibly self-serving motives.

Costco is one of our exceptions because it is one of the few large retailers that pays decent wages and benefits.

I had read a feature article about the CEO some years ago. His view is that if you don't pay people a decent wage they won't be able to buy stuff from the store. Not rocket science. Like @poolboy48220 the quantities they sell are too much for me. One of the few things I've bought in bulk (if you don't count a 10kg bag of rice) is canned tomatoes, and that from the outlet store for a cannery about 50km out of my way when I drive to Melbourne (they also sell other stuff that they don't produce, like bottles of pasta and curry sauces). That sort of driving is off the table right now.

A second point here is that government officials are mostly elected politicians and their greatest fear is that they won’t get reelected.

What you say is broadly true, and sometimes the restrictions that they apply have some effect if they reduce the prevalence of what they ban even if they don't eliminate it. The effect it might have on re-election differs between political systems. Here, the people out of government are on a unity ticket with the government on what is being done. Unlike the US, the political opposition here (and in Canada) is an organised group in Parliament not separate players from the opposition party jostling for attention or for votes for themselves. The oppostion here has individuals who shadow government ministers (it's called the shadow cabinet), and they aim to present a united and coherent alternative government. So far, they have quibbled about the details, and sought (and achieved) some changes to them, but have voted the legislation through Parliament. That has been the case at state level as well, with state governments from both sides of politics.

Please accept my thanks.....with folks like you, I should always find white asparagus in either cans or jars on the grocery shelves.....now please also stay away from the packaged hollandaise sauce mixes in the gravy section.....I can’t have 1 without the other......(working with / preparing fresh white asparagus way different & harder than with fresh green ones.....for white, cans or jars = the way to go)

Oh, I am NOT talking about canned white asparagus! The store doesn't carry it. I've seen white asparagus in a jar, but not a can. I am talking about canned green asparagus.

That said, I don't eat mayonnaise-based products, including hollandaise, so that's a series of additional packets for you. I'm not morally opposed to it, just don't like it.

I had read a feature article about the CEO some years ago. His view is that if you don't pay people a decent wage they won't be able to buy stuff from the store. Not rocket science. Like @poolboy48220 the quantities they sell are too much for me. One of the few things I've bought in bulk (if you don't count a 10kg bag of rice) is canned tomatoes, and that from the outlet store for a cannery about 50km out of my way when I drive to Melbourne (they also sell other stuff that they don't produce, like bottles of pasta and curry sauces). That sort of driving is off the table right now.

Even though I live alone, I'm a die-hard Costco shopper. I've figured out how to make the bulk quantities work for me. My freezer is packed! Although I don't eat much bread or butter, both items freeze remarkably well. I eat huge servings of veggies as a part of my normal diet, so their bulk quantities of spinach, tomatoes, etc. are actually manageable for me. Sometimes I'll split purchases with a family member or friend.

IMO, Costco's quality is notably superior to the supermarkets, and the price difference makes my jaw drop. For example, 4 pounds of butter at Costco is $9.98 whereas 1 pound at the local supermarket is $5.99! When I occasionally have to buy something at the regular supermarket, I get so bummed, LOL.

Even though I live alone, I'm a die-hard Costco shopper. I've figured out how to make the bulk quantities work for me. My freezer is packed! Although I don't eat much bread or butter, both items freeze remarkably well. I eat huge servings of veggies as a part of my normal diet, so their bulk quantities of spinach, tomatoes, etc. are actually manageable for me. Sometimes I'll split purchases with a family member or friend.

IMO, Costco's quality is notably superior to the supermarkets, and the price difference makes my jaw drop. For example, 4 pounds of butter at Costco is $9.98 whereas 1 pound at the local supermarket is $5.99! When I occasionally have to buy something at the regular supermarket, I get so bummed, LOL.

The only problem with Costco is they will stop stocking items. One example, I used to be able to buy two large tubs of Smart Balance for $5.79. They haven't sold it now for over a year, and the grocery stores charge between $6.49, to $6.99 for just one large tub. It becomes one less reason to go there.

Regarding this thread I’m about to make two very different observations. The first is strictly my opinion and thus open to discussion and disagreement. The second is fact and is verifiable.

Number One:

In a Western Democracies the government is dependent on the volunteer compliance of the public to their rules, regulations, and laws. The government cannot arbitrarily shoot or imprison large number of its citizens if those citizens refuse to comply with government rules, regulations, and laws. As a case in point; over this last weekend large numbers of people, mostly in the 20 to 40 age group, congregated on the beaches and in the parks of Northern and Southern California. They, most certainly, did not practice safe distancing but they did party big time. Governor Newsom was so furious that he ordered all the parking lots at state beaches and park closed immediately. As the number of people refusing to comply with these new state rules, regulations, and laws increases the government will quickly lose control. A physician recently addressed an adjunct of this very point during an interview. The doctor claimed that increasing numbers of people in the 20 to 40 age group category believe that the coronavirus is an old peoples problem NOT theirs. The doctor stated that unfortunately they are essentially correct. If they contract the virus they will be ill for a short time and recover. The problem is that they will pass it on to older people, who facing the consequences of this groups actions, will die in increasing numbers. A second point here is that government officials are mostly elected politicians and their greatest fear is that they won’t get reelected. Therefore if an ever increasing number of citizens refuse to comply with the virus regulations elected official will begin to waver. My guess is that if things don’t loosen up considerably by the middle of May the shit is going to hit the fan. . . .

The shit has sort of already hit the fan. The U.S. administration has already asked Congress to change federal law such persons can be imprisoned indefinitely and without trial in contravention of the Constitution during the Coronavirus crisis (and eventually one supposes any other crisis). https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/doj-wants-suspend-constitutional-rights-205444026.html. Should be interesting.

The shit has sort of already hit the fan. The U.S. administration has already asked Congress to change federal law such persons can be imprisoned indefinitely and without trial in contravention of the Constitution during the Coronavirus crisis (and eventually one supposes any other crisis). https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/doj-wants-suspend-constitutional-rights-205444026.html. Should be interesting.

Careful not to get this thread moved to the politics forum;).

It’s not fun here. First, can’t shop any sales. Normally I shop once a week and if there’s a good sale, I’ll stock up on things. I have to go to three different chains/stores every single day and even then I can only find half of what I need. And pay full prices.

Pretty much everything except produce is a crapshoot. I finally have eggs after a week. You cannot find pasta (not that I eat it very often), any sort of canned tuna, no red sauce of any kind including canned tomatoes. Forget toilet paper, paper towels and now napkins and Kleenex are out.

Fortunately we have enough stuff in the freezer to last about 10 days. I lucked out and had toilet paper about 3 weeks before the hoarding began.

I called my uncle in LA a short while ago just to check in.....a healthy, vibrant guy but also a senior citizen....

He went to his nearby Albertsons early this morning.....on Tuesdays the 1st hour after opening is designated almost exclusively for shopping by senior citizens (a few select others also allowed in, I think)....

anyway, he said that apparently 2 tractor trailer trucks with this day’s deliveries had both been delayed & had not arrived overnite as scheduled making lots of areas in the store empty of items for purchase.....he was annoyed but planned to try again on early Thursday morning, which is the other day during the week with this new schedule meant to be helpful to seniors.

I avoid the "senior" hours, because seniors are a majority of the population in my area. It's easier to shop at other times.

This uncle lives near the beach.....an area that’s kind of upscale but still a strong draw for lots of younger folks who can afford it.....

Talked with a person in the grocery business. He said that the reason most groceries still have produce is that the market is just shifting what they use to sell to restaurants to the grocery stores. Since fruit and produce is perishable, it gets put out and can not really be stored for long.

In the last few years, as people started eating out more, restaurants took business from grocery stores. Now the grocery stores are getting those customers back.

This week's completely random supermarket out-of-stock item was fennel seed. In fact, ALL of the spices had been cleared out at the huge Safeway up near the Billtmore District. Meanwhile, my dinky little Safeway in downtown Phoenix had all sorts of spices, including fennel seed.

My locally-owned hipster grocery store chain is opening up its third location. They continue to be well-stocked with plenty of high quality meats and produce, a great salad and food bar, and all sorts of organic offerings. I’ve been drinking a lot of cold pressed juices, including beetroot, lately. I’m going to start eating raw garlic daily and making ginger tea.

I'm in small-town/rural Michigan and I went shopping this morning. I arrived at the grocery store right when they opened at 8:00am. Unlike 1-2 weeks ago when the panic buying began and many things were unavailable, today the shelves were well-stocked. Lot's of milk, bread, soup, pasta & sauce. The only thing completely out still was toilet paper.

My impression is that things are normalizing now. At least I hope so.

My locally-owned hipster grocery store chain is opening up its third location. They continue to be well-stocked with plenty of high quality meats and produce, a great salad and food bar, and all sorts of organic offerings.

I'm very surprised any salad or food bar is still open. The salad bar in our local grocery store was shut down about two weeks ago.