Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Kansas City is unusual in that except for Whole Foods, the big chains are not here and left years ago. No Kroger, Safeway, A&P, etc. Even Whole Foods stores are few. “Independent” grocery stores and local chains are dominant here.

These independent stores (local chains really) belong to a local co-op or buying groups with huge local warehouses. So far, my local grocery (Hen House) has been well stocked and only a few things like toilet paper and cleaning products have empty shelves due to panic buying. Those items are restocked but people grab them up as soon as they appear.

Otherwise, I can get pretty much of whatever I want. Plenty of fresh fish, chicken, pork and beef. Most produce is out. The bakery and deli and prepared food sections are full. Only occasionally is an item out but then back in stock within a day or two.

I know many of the staff since I have shopped there for years and I thank them for working. The simple thank you brings a smile to their faces. They like knowing they are appreciated.

I think the hoarders have pretty well stocked up as the store traffic seems to be returning to normal. I expect toilet paper to become a staple on shelves as well since there is plenty of back up stock and the paper factories are running as fast as they can to refill the warehouses. Expect a glut of toilet paper and sales in the months to come.

Through the wonderful mechanics of capitalism, new suppliers are coming online. For example, a local whisky distillery has switched from whiskey to hand sanitizer.

There was no flour, brown sugar, white sugar, or sugar substitute when I went to the store this weekend. I went to 3 separate stores to find it. Nothing. I found that odd...

A little annoying as I'm someone that bakes bread regularly, I'm not even panic buying. I just needed flour. "You had better be using that flour sister."

A little annoying as I'm someone that bakes bread regularly, I'm not even panic buying. I just needed flour. "You had better be using that flour sister."

Me too! I’m not out of flour but low...so I didn’t “wake up” my sourdough starter to bake because I didn’t want to feed it with AP flour I’m saving for other recipes.

I use my sourdough starter exclusively for bread, but on occasion use yeast for pizza dough. That’s all gone from stores too! I got slightly price gouged on active dry yeast via eBay/US mail. Luckily I have a good supply of Tipo 00 for pizza and pasta dough.

Me too! I’m not out of flour but low...so I didn’t “wake up” my sourdough starter to bake because I didn’t want to feed it with AP flour I’m saving for other recipes.

I use my sourdough starter exclusively for bread, but on occasion use yeast for pizza dough. That’s all gone from stores too! I got slightly price gouged on active dry yeast via eBay/US mail. Luckily I have a good supply of Tipo 00 for pizza and pasta dough.

I'm good for yeast. (Which sounded 'gayer' than I expected.)

It's mostly random. This morning Trader Joes had capacity in the store at 9am and had a line down the sidewalk waiting to be let in as people went out. Safeway 3 blocks away was fully stocked and almost no customers. The Whole Foods by me has always been over 50% Instacart and random.

Grocery stores are possibly the most dangerous contagion places most of us go now. I need to start mostly delivery.

update: I went back to my Trader Joes (block away) 3 hours later after the mob left and the store was fully stocked including a shelf of fine quality toilet paper that no one of the 40 people in the store were interested in ! And then I stopped in my Ace Hardware and it had a rack of 100 masks with valves for $8.99 no one was buying. It's completely random.

Speaking of yeast. There are so many micro breweries on the eastside of Vancouver, Canada that it's been called 'Yeast Vancouver.' The provincial government just changed regulations, that will allow these micro breweries to start producing hand sanitizer as on off shoot to the brewing process. The first hand sanitizer is being donated to non-profits in the city.

I quit Costco couple years ago. Didn't like the vibe. Felt like too many pushy, greedy people buying too much sh!t that they didn't need. Plus the housewares quality was pretty bad. And prices just kept jumping up.

I'm able to find what I need shopping at a diverse selection of stores, even now, during [edit due to missing the sarcasm]

Edited by E.T.Bass

I quit Costco couple years ago. Didn't like the vibe. Felt like too many pushy, greedy people buying too much sh!t that they didn't need. Plus the housewares quality was pretty bad. And prices just kept jumping up.

I'm able to find what I need shopping at a diverse selection of stores, even now, during ChinaVirus2020.

???

Why are we still using ChinaVirus2020? It’s everywhere now... and not appropriate to use that term.

We try to support local as much as possible as part of living our values. Costco is one of our exceptions because it is one of the few large retailers that pays decent wages and benefits. It's worked very well for us and seems to for many of our neighbors, though if you have a smaller household or less storage space, I can see how it might not work for you. Being my family's designated shopper for the past few weeks has been enlightening about what's hoarded and which stores still have stock of items that are sold out elsewhere. Watching the panic spread has been a study in psychographics and how certain demographic slices have panicked and others haven't. Humans aren't rational, especially when emotions run high. The virus, SARS-CoV-2, and the COVID19 pandemic it's creating around the world is pushing many buttons for many people. Humans are fascinatingly complex. Good luck in your grocery outings!

I'm able to find what I need shopping at a diverse selection of stores, even now, during ChinaVirus2020.

???

I had a need for a bunch of croissants (my turn to bring breakfast in our rotating breakfast club at work). $6.00 for a dozen croissants at Costco, $3 apiece at Panera. I'm a loyal customer, although living alone, I do fall into the "their sizes are WAY too big for me" category often.

A huge part of the problem is that we have not shifted to home grocery delivery before now. I order a lot of staples from Amazon but have avoided InstaCart etc as I like the daily grocery visit. As contagious as CV is, visits to the grocery store are swims in the virus pool. The deep end of the virus pool.

Walmart was pretty lowkey (for Walmart) today around 2pm. I was able to find most things. I wasn't buying cereal but it looked like the cereal aisle had been stripped clean. There wasn't much selection for dried pasta but I could get what I needed (some rotini). There was a line at the back of the store to get toilet paper from the delivery truck that had (apparently) just arrived. I didn't bother queuing since I have plenty. Customers were limited to one pack each but it was like 12 mega rolls or something. There was only one person in line ahead of me at the self checkout.

I went and got a diet Coke at my nearby 7-11 today. There was no line at the self-serve fountain, diet Coke was available when I pushed the button, and there was one person in front of me at the cashier. I maintained the federally-suggested six feet distancing and the person in front was finished in about 30 seconds. I paid, walked out to my car, and drove home.:p

Edited by azdr0710