Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

I was impressed that at my local VONS supermarket (a part of Safeway I think) they had a plexiglass panel bolted between the cashier and where the customer stands to swipe their card. The cashier wasn't enclosed or anything but the panel created a bit of barrier between them and the customer.

At the dealership, we have installed clear plastic panels hung from the ceiling, at the service reception desk, cashier, phone operator station, and retail parts counter. Meets the requirements for separation, makes the customers and employees more at ease, and shows the authorities that we are taking distancing seriously. Local TV news and the Oregonian have been out "investigating" workplaces staying open, bloody irritating, but in the end we gotta take care of the workers and promote public safety.

I went to the local chain Keyfood on Monday, dressed in my mask and gloves, like everyone else there. It was crowded, people WERE NOT 6 feet apart and the shelves were pretty barren. And I stressed over the fresh produce and baked good that weren't wrapped and subject to peoples saliva and other germs. Needless to say, I only bought things that were wrapped and sealed. Plus, there were no Sales AND they had doubled all the prices.

If Keyfoods is doubling prices or just hiking a few pennies call your NYPD..Price gouging is a crime and not to be tolerated..Make the call asap

https://sunnysidepost.com/city-now-prohibiting-price-gouging-on-goods-such-as-soap-disinfectants-and-cleaning-products

I read online tonight that Walmart is going to make its aisles one-way (one-direction). They will also be adding plexiglass windows at the checkouts. Target is halting temporarily return of products and will have greeters at each checkout lane to make sure you are six feet apart. Checkout lanes at Target will be cleaned after each transaction. Kroger workers will now be wearing protective masks and gloves. Welcome to our new world.

I found bread and milk today at the store. No peanut butter.

I've set up a disinfecting station in the garage for incoming from the store. Once disinfected everything goes in a transfer tote inside the door. Then all clothes off, into the washing machine, and I scamper into the shower to clean off any potential incoming virus.

If Keyfoods is doubling prices or just hiking a few pennies call your NYPD..Price gouging is a crime and not to be tolerated..Make the call asap

https://sunnysidepost.com/city-now-prohibiting-price-gouging-on-goods-such-as-soap-disinfectants-and-cleaning-products

I made the complaint last week after your advice and I returned to the market today, but noticed the proces were even HIGHER... After vocalizing my outrage to the manager, I was told "sorry sir, but its supply and demand. ALL the supermarkets are raising prices. There's nothing we can do".... To which I reply, there certainly IS something you can do.. Respect the global crisis and the people who have lost their jobs and cant even afford food at the original prices, let alone prices that are doubled and tripled.

None the less, the store was packed and the carts were loaded... So I suppose they CAN raise their prices. We are just all captives of a crisis. :mad::mad:

Edited by jjkrkwood

I have found no untoward price increases in my local markets. I am paying more for certain items put only because my normal brands are sold out quickly and, on occasion, I have to buy more expensive brands. My markets are also still offering their weekly specials which seen in line with what they were offering prior to the current situation.

With most of our grocery shops being national chains, prices are mostly stable. There have been large increases in some produce but that was foreshadowed several months ago because of the drought and then the fires. I just heard a news item that said processors (canneries and frozen food producers) are adjusting their product mixes (more canned tomatoes and less tomato paste for example), and the decline in produce required for the restaurant trade has resulted in more produce available for retail, be that direct sale or through processors.

My trip to Whole Foods today was a nearly complete waste of time (saved only by the fresh, wild caught Red Snapper in the seafood case). I was able to get no more than a third of what I wanted. I've been entirely disappointed by all things Amazon during the pandemic.

I went to Stater Bros today instead of my usual Smart & Final. The experience was very enlightening. By about 11 a.m. every morning Smart & Final is picked quite clean. Many empty shelves and very limited dairy items and no eggs. Stater Bros, at about 2 p.m., on the other hand, was almost totally stocked. There was only one item absent, yea you guessed it -- toilet paper. The meat market was fully stocked with four butchers in attendance. No limits on water. I had no problem getting Distilled Water, which I need for a sinus rinse. Produce department was fully stocked and looked great. I bought wonderful asparagus on sale. I didn't even have to buy a gallon a milk they had quarts. I guess I will have to start driving to Stater Bros when I need things. The one thing they won't allow is customers to bring their re-usable grocery bags into the store.

Edited by Epigonos

This morning my Stater's even had toilet paper! It has been very well stocked with almost everything for the past week, and they have redesigned the layout so that the aisles are wider and there is more open floor space. They will let us bring our own bags, but they won't pack them for us.

This morning my Kroger had plastic freezer bags over the checkout keypads. Am I missing something, or does this just move the problem from the keys to the bag? It could help if they changed the bag after every customer, but I didn't see that.

I was wearing gloves, so it was an academic question for me. But it didn't make much sense to me.

I went to the bottle shop this evening. There they have a counter with two registers on it (usually only one in use) not checkout lanes. They had installed a clear perspex screen in front of each register (with a cut-out to one side so you could hand the register person your purchases). They also had a spot marked on the floor with 'please stand here' on it so you were squarely facing the screen.

I've set up a disinfecting station in the garage for incoming from the store. Once disinfected everything goes in a transfer tote inside the door. Then all clothes off, into the washing machine, and I scamper into the shower to clean off any potential incoming virus.

That’s the right thing to do. Not many of us have that discipline though.

That’s the right thing to do. Not many of us have that discipline though.

I have two friends at high risk who are doing the same procedure.

I have two friends at high risk who are doing the same procedure.

I’m at risk too but thank God I’ve been able to get my groceries delivered at my door. I come out with disposable gloves and mask (because it’s been recently discovered this shit is airborne) spray everything with alcohol and clean with a paper towel. I haven’t taken showers afterwards and I didn’t think of putting my clothes to wash since I technically did not go out. Now you got me thinking.

Edited by lonely_john