Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

They made exercise "non-essential" here. While I understand why this applies to gyms they also made it apply to personal trainers where there may be only one or two trainers there who can clean off all the equipment their clients are going to use after each use.

Exercise is allowed here but not gyms, and trainers are only permitted to do one-on-one training.

Any cleaning product that listed as killing 99.99% of bacteria/viruses is all you need along with some paper towels. Should be listed right on the front of package...

That's not entirely accurate. If a product is listed on the EPA's List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2, then it will kill the coronavirus if the disinfectant is left on the surface and remains wet for the length of time indicated in the"Contact Time in Minutes" column of the list.

The best way to search the list is by the EPA registration number, which can be found on the package, usually near the list of active ingredients.

That's not entirely accurate. If a product is listed on the EPA's List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2, then it will kill the coronavirus if the disinfectant is left on the surface and remains wet for the length of time indicated in the"Contact Time in Minutes" column of the list.

The best way to search the list is by the EPA registration number, which can be found on the package, usually near the list of active ingredients.

If we're going to get technical, don't forget how disinfectant efficacy is highly dependent on the cleanliness of the surface being disinfected. If it is dirty, then contact time really doesn't matter for proper disinfection. If someone wants to do things properly, cleaning comes before disinfection or sterilization. There are also tiers of disinfection depending on the expected use and exposure risks. The CDC outlines all of this and more in their infection control guidelines. They even touch on the research showing how disinfectant contact times of 1 minute are usually sufficient according to multiple studies.

Disinfect noncritical medical devices (e.g., blood pressure cuff) with an EPA-registered hospital disinfectant using the label’s safety precautions and use directions. Most EPA-registered hospital disinfectants have a label contact time of 10 minutes. However, multiple scientific studies have demonstrated the efficacy of hospital disinfectants against pathogens with a contact time of at least 1 minute. By law, all applicable label instructions on EPA-registered products must be followed. If the user selects exposure conditions that differ from those on the EPA-registered product label, the user assumes liability from any injuries resulting from off-label use and is potentially subject to enforcement action under FIFRA.

A friend was telling me I could make baking yeast from a potato. Time to go outside for my run.

I’ll be darned yeast from potatoes.

Makes sense, when I brewed my sourdough starter 10-12 years ago I put some organic black grapes into the flour/water mix for the first week or so. Supposedly the natural yeasts on the grapes got my starter “started”.

I’ll be darned yeast from potatoes.

Makes sense, when I brewed my sourdough starter 10-12 years ago I put some organic black grapes into the flour/water mix for the first week or so. Supposedly the natural yeasts on the grapes got my starter “started”.

Fungi seem to be everywhere. They''re some of the oldest life on Earth and like many bacteria, are likely critical for human life. Philosophers are going to have a ton of fun reconciling the likely reality of "humanity" being the sum of an incredibly complex cooperative interaction between billions of bacteria, fungi, and human tissues in every single body.

Wasn't potato yeast how traditional vodka was started?

If we're going to get technical, don't forget how disinfectant efficacy is highly dependent on the cleanliness of the surface being disinfected. If it is dirty, then contact time really doesn't matter for proper disinfection. If someone wants to do things properly, cleaning comes before disinfection or sterilization. There are also tiers of disinfection depending on the expected use and exposure risks. The CDC outlines all of this and more in their infection control guidelines. They even touch on the research showing how disinfectant contact times of 1 minute are usually sufficient according to multiple studies.

You are absolutely right about the need to clean the surface first. People forget about that.

I once again scored TP and paper towels at the local ethnic grocery store in an obscure (bad) part of town.......despite my observing the purchase limits, I actually felt guilty buying the stuff!!.......but they had plenty of it, so that eased the angst a bit......

PicsArt_1485425055028.jpg?resize=300%2C225

Edited by azdr0710

I once again scored TP and paper towels at the local ethnic grocery store in an obscure (bad) part of town.......despite my observing the purchase limits, I actually felt guilty buying the stuff!!.......but they had plenty of it, so that eased the angst a bit......

That color is very flattering on you!

Walmart online had plenty of Scott paper towels and Cottonelle TP the last time I was there. I scored a huge supply of Bounty family rolls on Amazon a few weeks back though they were only delivered last Friday.

Seventh Generation is claiming that their disinfecting wipes meet the criteria and that they're applying to get on the list.

The local Stop-N-Shop had TONS of TP and paper products, but low on frozen pizza, and a lot of other unhealthy foods I normally wouldn't buy.... I suppose if you have a large family you need quick and easy.... For me, now is the time to experiment with New things in the kitchen

51TdraKIzZL.jpg

92a22a09b2dde40e1e995829d8cb01f9

gXm7YPb.jpeg

Seventh Generation is claiming that their disinfecting wipes meet the criteria and that they're applying to get on the list.

Their spray disinfectant has already been added to the list, so their wipes shouldn't be far behind. Now, if Phoenix had not led the nation in paper product hoarding (GO PHOENIX!) I might be able to buy some.

Someone wrote to our local paper asking whether they should soak their produce in clorox.:oops:

There was an article on sanitation that warned against using sanitizer or clorox on produce.

You'd think it was common knowledge that chlorine and food don't mix.

I take my wipes and sanitizer with me now when I go to the grocery store.

I do the same with hand sanitizer wipes.

In my area (Phoenix) I've noticed that Safeway, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's has people walking around the store cleaning and sanitizing shelves, displays and dairy/meat cases and has people stationed at the entrances cleaning and handing out carts. Fry's (part of Kroger) does not do this. Has anyone else who lives in an area where both Albertson's (a/k/a Safeway, VONS, Jewel-Osco, Acme, Shaw's/Star) and Kroger (a/k/a Ralphs, King Soopers/City Market, QFC, Smith's, Mariano's) noticed that Alberston's seems to be taking sanitation to a higher level than Kroger?

Someone wrote to our local paper asking whether they should soak their produce in clorox.:oops:

When I spent time in Chile 30 years ago, we always left the beautiful fresh veggies in a diluted bleach and water bath in the sink for 15 minutes, then rinsed them off. Never got sick!

I do the same with hand sanitizer wipes.

In my area (Phoenix) I've noticed that Safeway, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's has people walking around the store cleaning and sanitizing shelves, displays and dairy/meat cases and has people stationed at the entrances cleaning and handing out carts. Fry's (part of Kroger) does not do this. Has anyone else who lives in an area where both Albertson's (a/k/a Safeway, VONS, Jewel-Osco, Acme, Shaw's/Star) and Kroger (a/k/a Ralphs, King Soopers/City Market, QFC, Smith's, Mariano's) noticed that Alberston's seems to be taking sanitation to a higher level than Kroger?

Our local Kroger is a dump and I never shop there. The Trader Joe’s always have a long line outside. On the other hand, Fresh Market and The Turnip Truck are spotless, uncrowded and well provisioned. Their meat departments are well stocked with local grass fed meats. I’m fortunate.

I’m not currently having a problem grocery shopping. I’m trying to limit my shopping excursions to once a week. There are no lines at my local Stater Bros Market and it is well stocked except for the usual suspects – toilet paper, paper towels, and disinfecting wipes. There is also a rather limited supply of various spaghetti sauces and pastas. Fortunately I make my own sauces and have an adequate supply of pasta. There is some talk here about the possibility of not allowing customers to enter markets but having to pre order and do outside pick-up. The grocers association is putting a kebob on the entire idea as they claim that they simply do not have sufficient personal to implement such a plan.

I lucked out the other day. I had been searching for Egg Matzoh, which I enjoy as a snack or light meal, and although it was recently Passover, none could be found anywhere. Yesterday, I found it, and there was tons of it, AND on sale.... I bought 4 boxes and last night enjoyed a delicious sweet Matzoh Brie, with marscopone cheese and raisins and warm compote.....

MatzoBrei4.jpg