Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

I lucked out the other day. I had been searching for Egg Matzoh, which I enjoy as a snack or light meal, and although it was recently Passover, none could be found anywhere. Yesterday, I found it, and there was tons of it, AND on sale.... I bought 4 boxes and last night enjoyed a delicious sweet Matzoh Brie, with marscopone cheese and raisins and warm compote.....

brei, not brie.....brie is another kind of cheese....like mascarpone, not marscopone :)

brei, not brie.....brie is another kind of cheese....like mascarpone, not marscopone :)

Matzoh BRIE is a Yiddish delicacy, having nothing to do with cheese...…

Matzah brei - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Matzah_brei

1. Matzah brei sometimes spelled matzah brie or matzo brei, is a dish of Ashkenazi Jewish origin made from matzah fried with eggs

I do the same with hand sanitizer wipes.

In my area (Phoenix) I've noticed that Safeway, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's has people walking around the store cleaning and sanitizing shelves, displays and dairy/meat cases and has people stationed at the entrances cleaning and handing out carts. Fry's (part of Kroger) does not do this. Has anyone else who lives in an area where both Albertson's (a/k/a Safeway, VONS, Jewel-Osco, Acme, Shaw's/Star) and Kroger (a/k/a Ralphs, King Soopers/City Market, QFC, Smith's, Mariano's) noticed that Alberston's seems to be taking sanitation to a higher level than Kroger?

I shop at both chains in Palm Springs (Albertson's/Von's and Ralphs), but every one of the stores seems to change it's patterns from day to day, and I don't shop frequently enough to make any valid comparison.

Matzoh BRIE is a Yiddish delicacy, having nothing to do with cheese...…

Matzah brei - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Matzah_brei

1. Matzah brei sometimes spelled matzah brie or matzo brei, is a dish of Ashkenazi Jewish origin made from matzah fried with eggs

brei spelling 99.99999 % of the time.....brie spelling the rest of the time.....but sure - you win, I guess.....

of course matzoh / matzah / matzo brei has nothing to do with cheese.....whoever said that it did ?

& I’m german descent.....don’t lecture me about Ashkenazi.

brei spelling 99.99999 % of the time.....brie spelling the rest of the time.....but sure - you win, I guess.....

of course matzoh / matzah / matzo brei has nothing to do with cheese.....whoever said that it did ?

& I’m german descent.....don’t lecture me about Ashkenazi.

Gurl, it wasn't a lecture. In fact, you were the one attempting to "school" me. I was just clarifying my original post. Calm down.....dont pick a fight. quarantine is getting to you !

Edited by jjkrkwood

Gurl, it wasn't a lecture. In fact, you were the one attempting to "school" me. I was just clarifying my original post. Calm down.....dont pick a fight. quarantine is getting to you !

the “quarantine” (I prefer “public distancing”) is getting to YOU !!!

my entire repartee with you was lighthearted, whimsical & intended as tongue firmly in cheek....

what I’ve been told is apparently the truth & nothing but - you really are no fun !!!

in spite of it all, sincere thx for your gallery contributions -

they do most always get the “juices” flowing.

the “quarantine” (I prefer “public distancing”) is getting to YOU !!!

my entire repartee with you was lighthearted, whimsical & intended as tongue firmly in cheek....

what I’ve been told is apparently the truth & nothing but - you really are no fun !!!

in spite of it all, sincere thx for your gallery contributions -

they do most always get the “juices” flowing.

That's the ultimate intention. And don't believe everything you hear... you know there's a lot of Fake News floating around these days.

I'm not looking to get Banned over a feud about MATZOH BRIE. ;)

I'm not looking to get Banned over a feud about MATZOH BRIE.

You keep saying BRIE, but the Wiki article you posted earlier was about BREI. I know I live upside down on the other side of the world where toilets drain the other way*, but I am confused.

Spoiler: They don't.

Growing up in a heavily Jewish community (at one time had the most Holocaust survivors living there in the U.S. - Skokie, IL) my friends always pronounced it Matzo BRIE but I think it really is spelled BREI. Quarantine getting to us. At it was just hinted today that IL may be in lockdown til June.

You keep saying BRIE, but the Wiki article you posted earlier was about BREI. I know I live upside down on the other side of the world where toilets drain the other way*, but I am confused.

Spoiler: They don't.

You are correct. Perhaps I was just applying the "i before e, except after c" rule? Or maybe I am getting dyslectic being in quarantine ? Apologies to @wklukas and everyone else that attempted to school me.. Bottom line my Matzoh BREI with marscopone was Delish..... Thanks to All that won the spelling bee...;):D

That's the ultimate intention. And don't believe everything you hear... you know there's a lot of Fake News floating around these days.

I'm not looking to get Banned over a feud about MATZOH BRIE. ;)

good grief ”Gurl”.....more yust yoking about my having heard somethings & you go off & seriously start telling me to not pay attention to fake news !!!!......you do deserve to be banned.....not for being a wannabe bully & a lousy speller but rather for not having even the hint of a sense of humor......

anyway, the thought of eating matzoh brei makes me need to puke.....I am a connisure of foods after all.

OY GEVALT !

Edited by wklukas

good grief ”Gurl”.....more yust yoking about my having heard somethings & you go off & seriously start telling me to not pay attention to fake news !!!!......you do deserve to be banned.....not for being a wannabe bully & a lousy speller but rather for not having even the hint of a sense of humor......

anyway, the thought of eating matzoh brei makes me need to puke.....I am a connisure of foods after all.

OY GEVALT !

You've never had MINE...… and FYI, some of just have a more subtle sense of humor ;);) Today I'm making matzoh ball soup....Maybe you'll like my BALLS ? :p

Edited by jjkrkwood

The EU doesn't allow American chicken in bc it's chlorinated.[/zz

Have you tried “jidori” chicken. A lot of japanese supermarkets in the US have it and it is free ranging organic and extremely flavorful like the old country. I get them whenever i have a chance, but Bell and Evans is a nice substitute.

I just got delivery of an order from BJ's Wholesale Club, delivered by InstaCart. I got 9 of the 18 items I'd requested:

Replacements

• Wellsley Farms Puff Pastry
    $11.49 · 80 ct

Replacement for 1x 4 pack of Lean Cuisine Comfort Roasted Turkey Breast

Refunds

• Nabisco Ritz Crackers
    $8.99 · 61.65 oz
    1x
    $0.00
    Reason: Out of stock

• M&m's, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way & Snickers Chocolate Easter Candy Variety Mix Pieces
    $3.98 · 45.98 oz
    1x
    $0.00

• Kraft Minute Instant Enriched Long Grain White Rice
    $6.49 · 72 oz
    1x
    $0.00

• Stouffer's CLASSICS Stuffed Peppers
    $10.99 · 1x 4 pack 15.5 oz
    $0.00

• Uno's Chicago Grill Steak & Cheese Calzones
    $10.99 · 8 (30 oz)
    $0.00 Reason: Out of stock

• Perdue Fresh Chicken Wings
    $2.49 · per unit
    4 lb
    $0.00

• 85% Lean15% Fat Ground Beef
    $2.99 · per unit
    3 lb
    $0.00

• Wellsley Farms Fat Free Skim Milk
    $2.89 · 1 gal
    2x
    $0.00

• Wellsley Farms Miami Onion Roll
    $3.49 · 8 ct
    2x
    $0.00

Found

• Wellsley Farms Old Fashioned Pretzel Sticks
    $5.99 · 3 lb

• Onion
    $1.59 · 3 lb

• Tyson White Meat Chicken Nuggets
    $10.49 · 5 lb

•  
  • Charmin Toilet Paper
    $25.99 · 32 ct

• Craisins Reduced Sugar Dried Cranberries
    $5.99 · 43 oz
    2x $11.98

Entenmann's Original Recipe Chocolate Chip Cookies
    $2.49 · 12 oz 3 boxes $7.47
    Kellogg's Raisin Bran Breakfast Cereal Original
    $6.99 · 76.5 oz

The Fillo Factory Spinach & Cheese Fillo Pies
    $9.99 · 3 lb

Edited by samhexum

I use a paper mask (a pack) that I received the other day. They were much more comfortable than what I had been using which were filter masks that workmen who had worked on the installation of my bathroom had fortunately left behind. In both cases however, as I wear glasses, every time I breath I fog up. So I just don't wear glasses. Luckily I see well enough to get by.

Yes glasses and masks don't make a great combination and even worse when you can't read the labels when you take your fogged up glasses off!!