Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Backto instacart:

i was billed for all items, and have not received 5/21. I notified Instacart by 12:30. Its now 7:45 pm and no solution has been offered. I was going to have tortellini and received tofu instead.

on the basis of this (i think the delivery lady forgot a bag or two) im going to go do my own shopping.

I do the same with hand sanitizer wipes.

In my area (Phoenix) I've noticed that Safeway, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's has people walking around the store cleaning and sanitizing shelves, displays and dairy/meat cases and has people stationed at the entrances cleaning and handing out carts. Fry's (part of Kroger) does not do this. Has anyone else who lives in an area where both Albertson's (a/k/a Safeway, VONS, Jewel-Osco, Acme, Shaw's/Star) and Kroger (a/k/a Ralphs, King Soopers/City Market, QFC, Smith's, Mariano's) noticed that Alberston's seems to be taking sanitation to a higher level than Kroger?

Jewel Osco (Albertson's) has had the pop up wipes the last two times there (two different stores). Mariano's (Kroger) pop up dispenser was empty last two times I was there (same store). First time, someone would spray and wipe cart handle. Second time at Mariano's, no one there wiping handles. I put on gloves (I brought in just in case). Happened to mention it to the cashier. and she was nonchalant in her response. "Oh, must have been on a break"

I went to the closest grocery shop today (Woolworths, that's the Australian version of Countdown, @azdr0710) rather than the one I used last week, no line (but they had set up the witchs' hats and tape to mark it by the time I'd finished), no hand sanitiser at the door, but they had a staff member wiping down the baskets and another handing them to customers at the entrance. Also no one-way aisles, but people were very good at distancing. And, drum roll, I bought a large flat white (coffee) to drink on the walk home, and with the chocolate éclairs I bought in the grocery shop. I feel better now.

Edited by mike carey

Jewel Osco (Albertson's) has had the pop up wipes the last two times there (two different stores). Mariano's (Kroger) pop up dispenser was empty last two times I was there (same store). First time, someone would spray and wipe cart handle. Second time at Mariano's, no one there wiping handles. I put on gloves (I brought in just in case). Happened to mention it to the cashier. and she was nonchalant in her response. "Oh, must have been on a break"

When I went to my Mariano's in Edgewater about a week or so ago, I did not see wipes. Just a thing of hand sanitizer and I think it was empty with a sign saying "soap available in restroom". Since Kroger bought them, a HUGE decrease in quality all the way around.

I just got delivery of an order from BJ's Wholesale Club, delivered by InstaCart. I got 9 of the 18 items I'd requested:

Replacements

• Wellsley Farms Puff Pastry
    $11.49 · 80 ct

Replacement for 1x 4 pack of Lean Cuisine Comfort Roasted Turkey Breast

Refunds

• Nabisco Ritz Crackers
    $8.99 · 61.65 oz
    1x
    $0.00
    Reason: Out of stock

• M&m's, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way & Snickers Chocolate Easter Candy Variety Mix Pieces
    $3.98 · 45.98 oz
    1x
    $0.00

• Kraft Minute Instant Enriched Long Grain White Rice
    $6.49 · 72 oz
    1x
    $0.00

• Stouffer's CLASSICS Stuffed Peppers
    $10.99 · 1x 4 pack 15.5 oz
    $0.00

• Uno's Chicago Grill Steak & Cheese Calzones
    $10.99 · 8 (30 oz)
    $0.00 Reason: Out of stock

• Perdue Fresh Chicken Wings
    $2.49 · per unit
    4 lb
    $0.00

• 85% Lean15% Fat Ground Beef
    $2.99 · per unit
    3 lb
    $0.00

• Wellsley Farms Fat Free Skim Milk
    $2.89 · 1 gal
    2x
    $0.00

• Wellsley Farms Miami Onion Roll
    $3.49 · 8 ct
    2x
    $0.00

Found

• Wellsley Farms Old Fashioned Pretzel Sticks
    $5.99 · 3 lb

• Onion
    $1.59 · 3 lb

• Tyson White Meat Chicken Nuggets
    $10.49 · 5 lb

•  
  • Charmin Toilet Paper
    $25.99 · 32 ct

• Craisins Reduced Sugar Dried Cranberries
    $5.99 · 43 oz
    2x $11.98

Entenmann's Original Recipe Chocolate Chip Cookies
    $2.49 · 12 oz 3 boxes $7.47
    Kellogg's Raisin Bran Breakfast Cereal Original
    $6.99 · 76.5 oz

The Fillo Factory Spinach & Cheese Fillo Pies
    $9.99 · 3 lb

Just curious, how is Puff Pastry an acceptable substitute for Turkey Breast?

Just curious, how is Puff Pastry an acceptable substitute for Turkey Breast?

You're allowed to choose what you want in case a substitution is needed. At this point in NYC, it's hit-or-miss on finding availability. I'd had the Puff Pastry before and it's pretty good, and there's a lot of it, and I was trying to pick something that would replace the 4 pack of Turkey; I'll get more than 4 meals or snacks out of the pastry for an extra $3.50.

Some of the items that were out of stock I'd chosen 'don't replace' and for others the replacement was also out of stock. The thing I'd chosen to replace the calzones with was out of stock and he tried to get something similar, but I didn't want it; he was in constant contact, which was very nice.

Tip-for-Easy-Thanksgiving-Entertaining-with-BJs-21-545x362.jpg

0001380016661_2_A1C1_0600.png

Edited by samhexum

You're allowed to choose what you want in case a substitution is needed. At this point in NYC, it's hit-or-miss on finding availability. I'd had the Puff Pastry before and it's pretty good, and there's a lot of it, and I was trying to pick something that would replace the 4 pack of Turkey; I'll get more than 4 meals or snacks out of the pastry for an extra $3.50.

Some of the items that were out of stock I'd chosen 'don't replace' and for others the replacement was also out of stock. The thing I'd chosen to replace the calzones with was out of stock and he tried to get something similar, but I didn't want it; he was in constant contact, which was very nice.

Tip-for-Easy-Thanksgiving-Entertaining-with-BJs-21-545x362.jpg

0001380016661_2_A1C1_0600.png

AHA! I was thinking Puff Pastry as in the sheets like Filo dough. Yours makes sense.

When I went to my Mariano's in Edgewater about a week or so ago, I did not see wipes. Just a thing of hand sanitizer and I think it was empty with a sign saying "soap available in restroom". Since Kroger bought them, a HUGE decrease in quality all the way around.

I've heard that from friends who shop at various Mariano's. The most vocal critics are those whose Mariano's was not converted from Dominick's. One of them even said this is worse than what Safeway did to Dominick's, and Safeway ruined Dominick's. (You probably know that already unless to moved to Chicago after 1999).

I asked someone at Fry's where I could find a clean cart and she pointed at the carts the guy brought in straight from the parking lot. When I asked for one that had been sprayed with sanitizer and wiped down, like at Safeway, she said they weren't doing that. I left and went to Safeway where they had two people at the door at 8:00 PM wiping down carts and handing them to customers.

I've heard that from friends who shop at various Mariano's. The most vocal critics are those whose Mariano's was not converted from Dominick's. One of them even said this is worse than what Safeway did to Dominick's, and Safeway ruined Dominick's. (You probably know that already unless to moved to Chicago after 1999).

I asked someone at Fry's where I could find a clean cart and she pointed at the carts the guy brought in straight from the parking lot. When I asked for one that had been sprayed with sanitizer and wiped down, like at Safeway, she said they weren't doing that. I left and went to Safeway where they had two people at the door at 8:00 PM wiping down carts and handing them to customers.

Safeway wins the day for me too.

Here is Vegas it's Vons. But the same attention to sanitary measures...one attendant wiping down carts and handing them to you, another with a counter to monitor store volume (last I noticed it was 100 occupancy limit), security guard outside as well, then floor markers at checkouts to maintain 6 feet, and arrows for one way aisles.

Safeway wins the day for me too.

Here is Vegas it's Vons. But the same attention to sanitary measures...one attendant wiping down carts and handing them to you, another with a counter to monitor store volume (last I noticed it was 100 occupancy limit), security guard outside as well, then floor markers at checkouts to maintain 6 feet, and arrows for one way aisles.

Vons was my favorite grocery store in San Diego and Safeway is my favorite in Phoenix. It pains me to like Safeway after what they did to Dominick's (preferred Jewel-Osco and always did, but Dominick's was decent before being Safewayized and closed), but even before COVID-19 Fry's (like Ralphs in SoCal) just doesn't measure up.

I may not go back to that WalMart. They get crazy in normal times. " I said 6 feet motherfucker !"

VIDEO : Woman pepper-sprays customers trying to ride elevator with her at a D.C. Wal-Mart

http://wjla.com/news/local/woman-pepper-sprays-customers-trying-to-ride-elevator-with-her-at-a-dc-wal-mart

Edited by tassojunior

I went to the closest grocery shop today (Woolworths, that's the Australian version of Countdown.....

Shame, shame, shame, shame on Woolworths for allowing customers to buy more than one pack per day. I blame the store 95% (and the hoarding customer 5%)

The cause/enablers of the TP and paper towel shortage is greedy and careless retailers who allow customers to buy more than one package per day. Just throw anyone who buys more than package in jail for a month. And throw the grocery store manager and the clerk who sold those packages in jail for 6 months. That'll end the "shortage" quickly.

Shame, shame, shame, shame on Woolworths for allowing customers to buy more than one pack per day. I blame the store 95% (and the hoarding customer 5%)

Nope, that during the first day or so of panic buying when it was only just becoming apparent that was what it was. Stores running out of stock on one day is not a crisis, it only becomes a problem if it keeps happening for no logical reason. Limits were put in place very quickly, just not on the first day or so. We have legal restraints on some things we can do in this country. How many toilet rolls we can buy is not one of them. Shops can and should limit sales to ensure continuity of supplies but gaol is an Orwellian response.

There were profiteers organising several people to mass purchases to sell on e-bay, that is a different case to an idiot shopper (or lots of them) deciding that they suddenly needed five years' supply

Nope, that during the first day or so of panic buying when it was only just becoming apparent that was what it was....

It should have been immediately apparent what was going on, and stores should have taken appropriate measures right away.

It should have been immediately apparent what was going on, and stores should have taken appropriate measures right away.

I completely disagree. No retail business would react precipitately to a run on an individual line of stock on one day, they would want to see a pattern. They would respond more quickly if it was a threat to their bottom line or the stability of their operations. This wasn't. They wouldn't allow an individual shop manager, much less a checkout operator, throw the switch, but they would fairly quickly see that it was happening in multiple outlets and their IT systems would tell them the scope of the issue. That would be when they would move, which is what they did. It wasn't a threat to the company, the restrictions were implemented to calm shoppers down. That calming effort was complemented by detailed e-mails of what they were doing to their loyalty card holders and signage in the shops. This wasn't a run on a bank.

I completely disagree. No retail business would react precipitately to a run on an individual line of stock on one day, they would want to see a pattern. They would respond more quickly if it was a threat to their bottom line or the stability of their operations. This wasn't. They wouldn't allow an individual shop manager, much less a checkout operator, throw the switch, but they would fairly quickly see that it was happening in multiple outlets and their IT systems would tell them the scope of the issue. That would be when they would move, which is what they did. It wasn't a threat to the company, the restrictions were implemented to calm shoppers down. That calming effort was complemented by detailed e-mails of what they were doing to their loyalty card holders and signage in the shops. This wasn't a run on a bank.

Wow.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying.

You mean that creating calm and certainty based on evaluation of data is actually a strategy some people use?

Wow. Who would have known?

I guess you must not be from around here. ;)

i am not excusing the behavior, but you can freeze milk

Also, Parmalot is not bad at all if you can find it. Even powdered milk has it's uses. And yes, you can freeze fresh milk.

i am not excusing the behavior, but you can freeze milk

Parmalat is pretty good if you can find it and powdered milk has it's uses like baking. Yes, you can freeze fresh milk.

Safeway has enough food, but might not have the item you are looking for. Be flexible. Home delivery is woefully slow, but Instacart is much faster. I have ordered 2 weeks of groceries from Sprouts through Instacart. Can finally get alcohol and masks on line within a 2 week delivery timeframe. Yes, at inflated prices, but they are coming down. Same with thermometers.

This is what I mean about rules and regulations. There should be an SOP to limit essential items (toilet paper, milk, water, rice, etc) when panic buying is witnessed in a store. Either case if checkout clerk or store manager would have done something they most likely would have got suspended or fired.

First hand knowledge again, I had to close a dining room once at a Jack-in-the-box I worked at for only 2 hours, because I did not have enough coworkers (2 others called out sick) to finish our duties and still give out lunch breaks, and attend to dine in customers and drive through. What happened, I got suspended for a week.

I may not go back to that WalMart. They get crazy in normal times. " I said 6 feet motherfucker !"

VIDEO : Woman pepper-sprays customers trying to ride elevator with her at a D.C. Wal-Mart

http://wjla.com/news/local/woman-pepper-sprays-customers-trying-to-ride-elevator-with-her-at-a-dc-wal-mart

Oh Lord! Stay away from Walmart even in the best of times. Pay a little more to shop at a more upscale or locally owned store.