Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

16 suburbs (so far) of Chicago now require face masks be worn, mostly when inside essential businesses such as stores. Also, green bags (reusable tote bags) cannot be brought inside any store.

Have Oak Park and Evanston started requiring full hazmat gear? I ask that with love and affection, as I enjoyed living in both communities, but they do have a tendency to go overboard.

I always try to avoid Walmart in any situation, prefer target over Walmart.

Sadly, it's Walmart that is in walking distance from me, not target. Additionally my property management messed up my online pay portal, and I dont have checks, so Walmart is the most convenient option for a money order.

I think I'd drive a little further to go to a post office for a money order or go to my bank for a certified check before waiting in the lines at Walmart. Did you see if the property management company would allow you to issue a check out of your bank to be mailed via the banks bill pay system instead? If it was the management companies screw up and seeing everything going on they should be willing to waive the late fee and wait on the check if you're a good tenant that always pays on time.

Mail is super slow. My condo dues are on auto pay to be mailed the 28th of every month so I'm sure they arrive the first of the month and they just received my check Tuesday and we still haven't received the check from another owner on autopay. Another owner that rents his out said his tenant is on autopay and hasn't received his rent check yet (he's trying to use that as an excuse for not paying his dues yet);

16 suburbs (so far) of Chicago now require face masks be worn, mostly when inside essential businesses such as stores. Also, green bags (reusable tote bags) cannot be brought inside any store.

I wish EVERY public place would require everyone to wear face masks. I wear one and the main purpose is to prevent the person wearing it from spreading it and wish others would offer me the same courtesy. My biggest complaint of going into a store is when people won't stay six feet behind you. If someone is in front of an item they want they need to stand back instead of coming over and grabbing it off the shelf. Same with the checkout line. Just stand six feet behind people. The stores even have lines on where to stay, you aren't going to get out any faster if you five inches from someone than eight feet away.

I've never understood the bag policy. Most grocery stores here have the policy (fortunately the farmers market here allows me to bring my own big, I walk or bike over and it's a lot more convenient using the heavy cloth bag I have). Just require the shopper to bag their own groceries if they bring one. Those bags won't have any more germs on them than the clothes they have on or a woman's purse.

Because of California's attempt to limit the use of plastic bags, for the past couple of years grocery stores have been required to charge customers who don't bring their own bags for the use of the store's bags. That law has apparently been suspended, because some stores will no longer let you bring your own bags into the store, so you have to use the store's plastic bags. I would much rather use my own bags, and pack them myself.

Edited by Charlie

Because of the California's attempt to limit the use of plastic bags, for the past couple of years grocery stores have been required to charge customers who don't bring their own bags for the use of the store's bags. That law has apparently been suspended, because some stores will no longer let you bring your own bags into the store, so you have to use the store's plastic bags. I would much rather use my own bags, and pack them myself.

I was wondering how that worked in places that charged, unfair to make the consumer pay for bags when they can't bring their own. Has to be a pain in a place like Aldi that doesn't provide bags.

I'm wondering how that works in municipalities that have banned plastic bags that aren't allowing cloth bags now seeing the stores wouldn't have a supply of plastic bags. I personally hate the ban and glad my state has a law that prohibits cities from banning or charging for plastic bags. A lot of times when it's nice out and I'm out biking or walking I may stop at the neighborhood grocery store to get a few items when I'm finishing up and don't want to tote around a cloth bag during the ride or walk and I also reuse the bags anyway for cleaning the cats litter boxes so I can dispose of it in the dumpster right away instead of putting in with my regular trash and having it smell up my place

Yes they do, but usually those limits are planned in advance. Imposing limits in reaction to panic buying is a different dynamic.

Well, it's a different dynamic, but the difference is that the reaction needs to be much swifter.

Because of California's attempt to limit the use of plastic bags, for the past couple of years grocery stores have been required to charge customers who don't bring their own bags for the use of the store's bags. That law has apparently been suspended, because some stores will no longer let you bring your own bags into the store, so you have to use the store's plastic bags. I would much rather use my own bags, and pack them myself.

The local super market owner seems thrilled when I say I want to take one of their boxes for my groceries. Less recycling for them.

Edited by RealAvalon

Have Oak Park and Evanston started requiring full hazmat gear? I ask that with love and affection, as I enjoyed living in both communities, but they do have a tendency to go overboard.

Oak Park. A beautiful community. Had friends I met through work who lived off Chicago Ave, next to Wright District. Kinda lost track after I retired, so haven't been in touch in few years. They loved the area, having grown up in River Forest, but property taxes were killing them back then. Last I heard they cashed out a couple of years ago.

Oak Park is not part of the face mask mandate, but Evanston is. However, I just read that Illinois will extend the Stay at Home Order until the end of May (with some tweaks?), and face masks will be required statewide beginning May 1.

I was wondering how that worked in places that charged, unfair to make the consumer pay for bags when they can't bring their own. Has to be a pain in a place like Aldi that doesn't provide bags.

I'm wondering how that works in municipalities that have banned plastic bags that aren't allowing cloth bags now seeing the stores wouldn't have a supply of plastic bags. I personally hate the ban and glad my state has a law that prohibits cities from banning or charging for plastic bags. A lot of times when it's nice out and I'm out biking or walking I may stop at the neighborhood grocery store to get a few items when I'm finishing up and don't want to tote around a cloth bag during the ride or walk and I also reuse the bags anyway for cleaning the cats litter boxes so I can dispose of it in the dumpster right away instead of putting in with my regular trash and having it smell up my place

It's a nickel...

Edited by tassojunior

Many stores in Chicago will still allow reusable bags, HOWEVER, YOU have to bag your own groceries. I have to check, but I thought early on Pritzker removed the bag tax but still getting charged.

Just checked and the bag tax has NOT been revoked for COVID in Illinois.

Many stores in Chicago will still allow reusable bags, HOWEVER, YOU have to bag your own groceries. I have to check, but I thought early on Pritzker removed the bag tax but still getting charged.

Just checked and the bag tax has NOT been revoked for COVID in Illinois.

Good to know there is flexibility. I was at a Binny’s, and they said they didn’t allow them, giving me the impression banned statewide.

Even before this, I usually leave the green bags in the car, and use the plastic bags for garbage, and if not going to put the groceries in my cart to take in elevator, then repack into the green bags to carry.

Good to know there is flexibility. I was at a Binny’s, and they said they didn’t allow them, giving me the impression banned statewide.

Even before this, I usually leave the green bags in the car, and use the plastic bags for garbage, and if not going to put the groceries in my cart to take in elevator, then repack into the green bags to carry.

I need a minimum of plastic bags for dog poop. Bread bags work of course.

Edited by RealAvalon

It immediately gets burned when I get home.

Oh, thank goodness.

I need a certain minimum of plastic bags for dog poop. Bread bags work of course.

Same here, but the bags are for litter box product. I also use them as kitchen trash bags. There's not room for a large can, so I bought a small one that hangs off the inside of my undersink cabinet door. Although they now sell bags to fit, it was originally designed for use with plastic grocery bags.

The preeminent chain near me is StopNShop. They're expensive, & I usually only shop there when certain items are on sale. They have their own delivery service (Peapod), which is also expensive, but I'm not going outside anytime soon, so...

A couple of weeks ago I got an order that was supposed to be 49 items, for over $200. It wound up being 15 items for $76. So when I set up another order for this morning, I over-ordered accordingly. Oops...

I had the 6:30 AM-1PM slot. The site further clarified that my ETA was 7:13-9:13. At 7:30 it was done. I’d put 2 shopping carts in the hallway & stuck my head out when he got off the elevator & asked if he could put the heavier bags in the carts & leave the rest on the floor, then I shut the door.

He filled both carts, & there were enough bags left on the floor to have filled up another.

I’d managed to get 3 cans of Lysol & 2 containers of disinfectant wipes into my online cart, but of course, none arrived. Assorted items here and there were missing, but I did get the majority of my items. I learned a lesson last time… I’d ordered yellow bananas and they came already having brown spots. This time I noticed there’s also an option for green bananas, so I got a bunch. No Minute Rice (again… it was also sold out at BJ’s). Didn’t get frozen spinach, carrots, corn, mixed veggies, or seasoned fries. No cooking spray or Little Debbie Swiss Rolls (or the designated substitute, Ring Dings). No Oyster crackers. Only 1 of the two flavors of cough drops I’d ordered.

Last time I got 15 of 49 items. This time I ordered 54 items, but got 41 (I think).

There was too much to try to wipe everything off, so I gambled that the articles I’d read recently about grocery delivery being safe were true, and just put everything away. I DID take a shower afterwards, but if the virus was on anything, I’ll be dead in a week. If so, my sister will have toilet paper (from my BJ's delivery Tuesday) and nosherei

[ nosh-uh-rahy ]*** forever.

*** noun Slang.

food for snacking or noshing.

Edited by samhexum

The preeminent chain near me is StopNShop. They're expensive, & I usually only shop there when certain items are on sale. They have their own delivery service (Peapod), which is also expensive, but I'm not going outside anytime soon, so...

A couple of weeks ago I got an order that was supposed to be 49 items, for over $200. It wound up being 15 items for $76. So when I set up another order for this morning, I over-ordered accordingly. Oops...

I had the 6:30 AM-1PM slot. The site further clarified that my ETA was 7:13-9:13. At 7:30 it was done. I’d put 2 shopping carts in the hallway & stuck my head out when he got off the elevator & asked if he could put the heavier bags in the carts & leave the rest on the floor, then I shut the door.

He filled both carts, & there were enough bags left on the floor to have filled up another.

I’d managed to get 3 cans of Lysol & 2 containers of disinfectant wipes into my cart, but of course, none arrived. Assorted items here and there were missing, but I did get the majority of my items. I learned a lesson last time… I’d ordered yellow bananas and they came already having brown spots. This time I noticed there’s also an option for green bananas, so I got a bunch. No Minute Rice (again… it was also sold out at BJ’s). Didn’t get frozen spinach, corn, mixed veggies, or seasoned fries. No cooking spray or Little Debbie Swiss Rolls (or the designated substitute, Ring Dings). No Oyster crackers. Only 1 of the two flavors of cough drops I’d ordered.

Last time I got 15 of 49 items. This time I ordered 54 items, but got 41 (I think).

There was too much to try to wipe everything off, so I gambled that the articles I’d read recently about grocery delivery being safe were true, and just put everything away. I DID take a shower afterwards, but if the virus was on anything, I’ll be dead in a week. If so, my sister will have toilet paper (from my BJ's delivery Tuesday) and nosherei

[ nosh-uh-rahy ]*** forever.

*** noun Slang.

food for snacking or noshing.

I took a trip to Stop-N-Shop is college Point this week and was pleasantly surprised. The store WAS social distancing and policing, and while the Deli and bakery counters were closed, they had some good SALES going on, and also had some hard to find items...

AND they were giving the sale prices even if you didnt have their discount card. Bought a delicious quiche. And found the hard to find Birds Eye Riced cauliflower.... $200 later, I left a happy camper with 14 bags. :D:D

Found the best time to shop. My local store (Hen House) has hours 6:00-7:00AM for seniors over 65. While only about a dozen people in the store, they manage to go down the middle of the isles or stop just where you want something and take about five minutes to decide while you wait.

Regular hours are 7:00AM-8:00PM. So I decided to give the evening hours a try??. After 7:30 the store is empty except for the staff starting to restock. Except for fresh fish having been put away, everything else was available. Except for wipes, everything on my list was there. They even have masks and gloves! Since the store was empty (maybe six customers), getting through in record time was easy and no checkout line. I do not buy their in house bakery goods which looked pretty low. From now on, I’ll be shopping at about 7:30PM before closing. (They start putting the fresh fish away at about 7:00 so on days I want fish, I’ll come early).