Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Panic-buying grips North Korea amid rumors of Kim Jong Un’s demise

Can you imagine how hard it'll be to schedule an Instacart delivery there?

Residents in the North Korean capital have resorted to panic-buying amid reports that controversial leader Kim Jong Un is gravely ill or dead, according to a report.

Store shelves in Pyongyang were being cleaned out of everything from liquor to laundry detergent, canned fish to cigarettes in recent days ( https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/what-is-essential-and-what-is-not.157101/ )— as conflicting reports continue to surface about the portly dictator’s possible demise.

Helicopters have also been flying low over the capital, and trains in North Korea and northern China “have been disrupted,” the outlet reported.

Speculation that Kim was gravely ill or dead was fueled by his notable absence from a highly touted celebration of the republic’s 88th anniversary — and subsequent reports over the weekend that the leader’s train had been at a standstill for days.

Despite an assertion from South Korean leaders Sunday that Kim was “alive and well,”his fate remains uncertain.

On Saturday, Sen. Lindsay Graham told Fox News host Jeanine Pirro he would be “shocked” if Kim was still alive, given his unusual disappearance in recent days.

Kim did a similar disappearing act in 2014 when he went several weeks without being seen, sparking rumors of a military coup. When he reemerged officials reported that he had been recovering from surgery.

The meat shortage has begun. My sister did a run to her local BJ's today. No meat or chicken. She was able to get me 2 of the frozen items that had been sold out in my delivery from my local store last week.

Food pantries are starting to run low on food in NYC.

My pot dealer hasn't been able to get herself to prepare much product for me (she cleans it for me because my hands don't work so well) because she knows or knows of 12 people who died.

The meat shortage has begun. My sister did a run to her local BJ's today. No meat or chicken. She was able to get me 2 of the frozen items that had been sold out in my delivery from my local store last week.

Don’t add to the panic....I went to two stores yesterday and they were fully stocked with meat and poultry. Also thirds store...my local butcher was well stocked.

Don’t add to the panic....I went to two stores yesterday and they were fully stocked with meat and poultry. Also thirds store...my local butcher was well stocked.

My Styrofoam chest from Omaha Steaks stocked with steaks and other meat arrived the other day. When they run, ill go over to Kansas city Steaks. Guess I am a "meat" savant... I always know where to find it. :p:p

My Styrofoam chest from Omaha Steaks stocked with steaks and other meat arrived the other day. When they run, ill go over to Kansas city Steaks. Guess I am a "meat" savant... I always know where to find it. :p:p

We fellow carnivores will hunt it out!

I use Crowd Cow another online source, they specialize In bringing small ranches into kind of a marketing co-op to sell. All artisan raised beef, not feed lot production line 18 month old beef.

We fellow carnivores will hunt it out!

I use Crowd Cow another online source, they specialize In bringing small ranches into kind of a marketing co-op to sell. All artisan raised beef, not feed lot production line 18 month old beef.

Don't knock the OLD meat... OLD meat has often given me a lot of pleasure. :eek::eek:

My husband went shopping Saturday night. There was no ground beef. Plenty of chicken though. At the start of the lockdown, plenty of red meat and no chicken. Just the opposite now.

Food pantries are starting to run low on food in NYC.

My pot dealer hasn't been able to get herself to prepare much product for me (she cleans it for me because my hands don't work so well) because she knows or knows of 12 people who died.

Your pot dealer knows 12 people who have died? Maybe it's time to consider a new supplier.

We have ordered from both Omaha and Kansas City Steaks prior to this. Last month though, we received an email from the Capital Grille about their "Butcher Shoppe" program. We have ordered about twice a month from them now. The meat has been spectacular on the grill...much better quality than the shipping outfits. It is pretty easy too, you call and order the night before, then the next day you drive up and call them and they will place it directly in your cooler/trunk. This week they had a special on Bone-In Ribeye.....$30.00 for 22 ounces I think? It is a nice option if you have one nearby.

Don't knock the OLD meat... OLD meat has often given me a lot of pleasure. :eek::eek:

Thank goodness for those that appreciate old meat.

Note in my post that I was praising older artisan beef being raised to 3 to 4 years old humanely and nourished properly before slaughter and butcher. Some evidence of less methane gases from cows raised this way in addition to taste.

today’s USA model of conveyor belt beef sent into feed lots results in 14 to 18 month old steer being put to market. Efficient, quick, not the best quality and not climate friendly.

Thank goodness for those that appreciate old meat.

Note in my post that I was praising older artisan beef being raised to 3 to 4 years old humanely and nourished properly before slaughter and butcher. Some evidence of less methane gases from cows raised this way in addition to taste.

today’s USA model of conveyor belt beef sent into feed lots results in 14 to 18 month old steer being put to market. Efficient, quick, not the best quality and not climate friendly.

OH, you were talking about cows! Sorry :oops:

Your pot dealer knows 12 people who have died? Maybe it's time to consider a new supplier.

Knows or knows of... like a friend's friend or parent. And maybe you can't picture what it's been like here...

Nearly half of NYC residents know someone who has died from coronavirus, poll shows

Nearly half of New York City residents said they know someone who has died from the coronavirus — a stunning finding that reveals how deeply the disease that has ravaged the Big Apple, according to a new poll released Monday.

The statewide Siena College survey found that 46 percent of city residents known someone killed by COVID-19, as do 36 percent of suburbanites and 13 percent of upstaters. In all, about one-third of voters statewide know someone who has died.

The killer virus has particularly impacted New York’s minority communities — with 52 percent of Latino voters and 48 percent of black voters knowing someone who has died, compared to 25 percent of whites.

“The human toll is almost unfathomable,” said Siena pollster Steven Greenberg. “Half of Latino and black voters know someone who has passed away from this insidious virus.”

The overall death toll from COVID-19 statewide rose to 16,966, Gov. Andrew Cuomo reported Sunday.

Meanwhile, 51 percent of voters statewide said they know someone who is infected with the virus — mostly downstate.

Here are some of the other findings:

— 69 percent of voters believe New York won’t reopen for business without widespread COVID testing;

— 67 percent said large gatherings will be permitted this summer;

— 36 percent of New Yorkers have received a stimulus check or direct deposit from the federal government, while 62 percent haven’t;

— 92 percent support the requirement for wearing a face mask in public;

— 87 percent support Gov. Cuomo’s decision to extend New York’s “On Pause” restrictions, which include keeping schools and non-essential businesses closed, until at least May 15;

— 52 percent oppose releasing inmates with pre-existing conditions or who are over the age of 70 during the pandemic, while 37 percent support the release;

“Last month, fewer than one-third of New Yorkers knew someone who had tested positive for coronavirus. Today, 51 percent personally know someone who has been infected with COVID-19,” Siena’s Greenberg said.

The economic toll also has been devastating, with 32 percent of respondents saying they or someone in their households has been laid off because of the pandemic.

Nearly half of Latino voters – 48 percent – said the pandemic has put either them or a family member out of work, compared with 30 percent of both white and black households.

Hispanics are disproportionately represented in the hard-hit food service and hotel industries, largely closed by social distance restrictions.

The unemployment results confirm the economic anxiety New Yorkers expressed in a Siena College survey about the pandemic last month.

“To say the coronavirus has had a tremendously detrimental effect on New York’s workforce — upstate and downstate — is a gross understatement,” Greenberg said.

“Nineteen percent of voters have themselves been laid off and another 13 percent say someone in their household has been laid off,” Greenberg said.

This Siena College Poll was conducted April 19-23 and queried 803 New York State registered voters. It has an overall margin of error of plus-or-minus 3.7 percentage points.

My husband went shopping Saturday night. There was no ground beef. Plenty of chicken though. At the start of the lockdown, plenty of red meat and no chicken. Just the opposite now.

Well you can make lovely meat balls from ground chicken, or some great chicken "sloppy joes"...just be heavy on the seasoning.

Did my weekly grocery run yesterday (4/27) to Stater Bros. All meats (beef, chicken, fish, lamp, and pork) were available in all cuts. I only needed ground beef and pork of which they had an abundance. Still a little limited in dried pasta and the various bottled pasta sauces. Since , as usual, I have a decent supply of dried pasta on hand and make my own sauces the limited supply wasn't a problem. They did have a limited selection of toilet paper and no paper towels again, I'm fine with both of these. All dairy products and eggs were present as were most vegetables. For some reason Stater Bros doesn't seem to carry red potatoes and white rose potatoes. I roast the former and use the latter for making potato salad thus I had to stop by Smart & Final which had both in ample supply. Right now my frig is stocked with New England Clam Chowder, Barbecue Beef for sandwiches, Eggplant Parmesan, Potato Salad, and Chile. I'm certainly not suffering when it comes to food to eat. Trying out all sorts of new recipes in a, somewhat futile attempt, to lessen the boredom. Thank god I have wonderful friends and neighbors who are willing to eat my various concoctions but for them I would have to throw out one hell of a lot of food. My refrigerator simply isn't large enough to store everything I've been cooking. Later this week I intend to marinate a tri-tip roast to grill and will experiment with a new recipe for fried pork filled won tons. If the won tons are any good I may include them in the menu for our 2021 Palm Springs weekend.

Stay well everybody.

And I don't even know anyone anywhere who is ill! Which seems inconceivable.

And I'm in Chicago and so far, only know of two HS classmates (from Facebook) posts who have had it. The woman has been ill on and off for nearly 6 weeks. She is 60 and her husband also 60 had a milder form. She claims she had very little fever but other things and is still fatigued. But then again, my cohort of friends is the type to follow stay at home orders, so perhaps that is why.

We know people who likely had it in February. We've known friends and family in NYC and Europe who've had it. Some of them know people who've died. My family has strictly been isolating for two months now and plan to keep doing so for 2-4 weeks depending the data. We're lucky to all be together, have a large house, and the kind of work that allows us to distance.

Did my weekly grocery run yesterday (4/27) to Stater Bros. All meats (beef, chicken, fish, lamp, and pork) were available in all cuts. I only needed ground beef and pork of which they had an abundance. Still a little limited in dried pasta and the various bottled pasta sauces. Since , as usual, I have a decent supply of dried pasta on hand and make my own sauces the limited supply wasn't a problem. They did have a limited selection of toilet paper and no paper towels again, I'm fine with both of these. All dairy products and eggs were present as were most vegetables. For some reason Stater Bros doesn't seem to carry red potatoes and white rose potatoes. I roast the former and use the latter for making potato salad thus I had to stop by Smart & Final which had both in ample supply. Right now my frig is stocked with New England Clam Chowder, Barbecue Beef for sandwiches, Eggplant Parmesan, Potato Salad, and Chile. I'm certainly not suffering when it comes to food to eat. Trying out all sorts of new recipes in a, somewhat futile attempt, to lessen the boredom. Thank god I have wonderful friends and neighbors who are willing to eat my various concoctions but for them I would have to throw out one hell of a lot of food. My refrigerator simply isn't large enough to store everything I've been cooking. Later this week I intend to marinate a tri-tip roast to grill and will experiment with a new recipe for fried pork filled won tons. If the won tons are any good I may include them in the menu for our 2021 Palm Springs weekend.

Stay well everybody.

Ditto on appreciative neighbors. I had four sourdough boule(s) and two brioche out of the oven Sunday morning. Neighborhood is happy!

I’ve been using ground turkey a lot recently....chili, meat loaf, “Joe’s Special” and it’s been surprisingly good ?? Only poor result was grilled “burgers” on the BBQ

I like ground chicken. Mostly I use it to make chicken sausage patties. I used to grind up boneless chicken thighs in the food processor. Then one day it occurred to me that buying ground chicken would be a lot easier.

We know people who likely had it in February. We've known friends and family in NYC and Europe who've had it. Some of them know people who've died. My family has strictly been isolating for two months now and plan to keep doing so for 2-4 weeks depending the data. We're lucky to all be together, have a large house, and the kind of work that allows us to distance.

Our cousin in Long Island City is in his 6th week of recovery. He works on Browadway as a stage manager. 27 years old...healthy..non smoker...Hospitalized for 1 week and now recovering at home. He said he never felt so weak or out of control. His wife and baby left for Connecticut so he could have the flat to himself. Our other cousin..his sister brought meals every day...Very fortunate..