Gay people often have older brothers. Why? And does it matter?

KrisParr

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

We're just taken aback about how you described him instead of just saying you have an older brother.

2 hours ago, soloyo215 said:
  5 hours ago, Kenny said:

He sounds like a jerk

We need to get used to the idea that families, like people, come in all shapes and sizes.  My dad, too, is a wonderful dad who has children that live all over the world. 🌎

It's interesting, and sad, that the people who preach tolerance the loudest are too often the first to judge others who are different, by calling them a "jerk" simply because of for whom they work, for whom they voted, or where their children live.

My father sired 8 children, of which the youngest two boys are gay.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial
Grammar

2 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

For years I didn't think I was gay solely because I was attracted men; but, rather, I thought it was because I was repelled by the idea of being with a woman such as my mother. 

Nature + Nurture.

To me it always seems a little bit of both...not purely biological.

My question with the younger brother theory is how gay is gay ? Does this account for bisexual brothers or just boys who jumped into the gay pool with BOTH feet ?

I am the oldest and I dabbled in being gay and decided against the lifestyle but still enjoying the perks.😉

My brother is effeminate and everyone thinks he's gay but happily married with kids and told me he tried sucking dick in college but it didn't appeal to him at all.

So for both of us we gave it a go...but decided it wasn't for us romantically. But I do enjoy the down-n-dirty of the sex part.

So how gay do you need to be to be part of this study ?

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

7 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Nature + Nurture.

To me it always seems a little bit of both...not purely biological.

My question with the younger brother theory is how gay is gay ? Does this account for bisexual brothers or just boys who jumped into the gay pool with BOTH feet ?

I am the oldest and I dabbled in being gay and decided against the lifestyle but still enjoying the perks.😉

My brother is effeminate and everyone thinks he's gay but happily married with kids and told me he tried sucking dick in college but it didn't appeal to him at all.

So for both of us we gave it a go...but decided it wasn't for us romantically bit I do enjoy the down-n-dirty of the sex.

So how gay do you need to be to be part of this study ?

I'd love to meet your brother! 

I would take this study with a grain of salt! Everything depends on the individual, family, circumstances, genetics, etc.

12 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

We need to get used to the idea that families, like people, come in all shapes and sizes.  My dad, too, is a wonderful dad who has children that live all over the world. 🌎

It's interesting, and sad, that the people who preach tolerance the loudest are too often the first to judge others who are different, by calling them a "jerk" simply because of for whom they work, for whom they voted, or where their children live.

My father sired 8 children, of which the youngest two boys are gay.

I didn't call him a jerk but "having children all around the world" doesn't strike me as family values, personal responsibility, etc. Obviously life happens... in the inner city (before gentrification) having kids from different families was a common problem.

Edited by marylander1940

1 minute ago, topunderachiever said:

I've seen similar studies.

There is practically zero correlation when it comes to origins, universes and nuances of sexuality.  

Everyone is wired differently.  

Agreed!

Besides some folks won't even admit to being gay.... how can gay men be counted?

Edited by marylander1940

It might also be that younger children feel more free to be different. Many parents are stricter (out of fear that they don't know what they're doing, perhaps) with and have more defined expectations of the first child (in case it's the only one)... so the younger kids are more independent, adventurous and more likely to explore new things.

Edited by Winky

I don’t like the whole idea that there are reasons people are gay or become gay. It goes against the born this way philosophy in my opinion. If people think there are reasons for being or becoming gay, people might think there are ways to not become gay or ways to become straight. Which makes it seem like being gay is a lifestyle choice, which we all know it isn’t.

15 minutes ago, caramelsub said:

If people think there are reasons for being or becoming gay, people might think there are ways to not become gay or ways to become straight.

Or an affliction to be cured. No matter the “cause” it’s part of the natural order.

1 hour ago, Peter Eater said:

It’s 2024, and still the ludicrous fiction of a “gay lifestyle” is being used! 

I meant I chose not to live with a same sex partner. I prefer a mainstream lifestyle with a little fun on the side. You may be born with a degree of inclination toward same sex attraction but what you DO about that is indeed a choice.

1 hour ago, Winky said:

It might also be that younger children feel more free to be different. Many parents are stricter (out of fear that they don't know what they're doing, perhaps) with and have more defined expectations of the first child (in case it's the only one)... so the younger kids are more independent, adventurous and more likely to explore new things.

To me this makes more sense.

I think people go out of their way with the whole "born this way" narrative.

Sexuality is more likely a combination of nature/nurture.  You see over and over when men have NO access to women, they figure it out and their latent homosexuality appears. I think varying degrees of social influence is what tips the scale.  It seems more likely that most people have some potential for homosexual desire and their environment is what keeps that desire suppressed.

I am aware of data that shows the probability of men self-identifying as gay increases as the number of older brothers increases.  That information has been available long time 

I am not aware the data now includes probabilities for women.  I want to listen to the NPR piece!

I theorize that the root cause why some men are attracted to men is probably not the same as the root cause why some women are attracted to women.  But that is just logic.  I'm no scientist.

I have 3 older brothers and a twin brother.

No sisters.

Edited by TonyDown

22 hours ago, KrisParr said:

This story was on NPR this afternoon - sorry, I’m traveling and just barely was able to get the title. Perhaps some kind member can post the link.  Interesting story about gays (both men and women) and the frequency of having older brothers. The more older brothers you have, the higher the chance of the youngest male/female being gay. I have two older brothers, both straight.  My gay cousin has 3 older brothers. And several friends all fall in this category. 

Me too. 

I’m an only child and had two very involved (and relatively strict) parents growing up.  As far as I know, none of my blood relatives are gay or even bi, and I had no more exposure to gay culture than anyone else living in NYC.  I never had the same interests as other boys but didn’t even consider the possibility that I was gay until I was a teenager and found myself attracted to men and not women.

I always find the studies exploring "why" people are gay interesting to read, but then I am also left with a bit of internal conflict about wether we should really persevere to know the answer(s) to why.

I'm sure if we could scientifically prove that sucking a lollipop on the 37th day after conception made a fetus gay, there would be people who would persevere to eliminate lollipops from the plant.

12 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

But that's still a lot of exposure compared to most of the world!

True, though I do recall being scared of drag queens lol.  On the flip-side (since it’s funny you @Vegas_Millennial happen to be the one posting), the Vegas strip was my favorite place in the world as a child, and there I had constant exposure to topless women!

12 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

My 2024 gay lifestyle is pretty fabulous. 🤩

My brothers' lifestyles are all pretty nice, but not quite as fabulous.

Because you have $ and no kids to take care.

14 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I meant I chose not to live with a same sex partner. I prefer a mainstream lifestyle with a little fun on the side. You may be born with a degree of inclination toward same sex attraction but what you DO about that is indeed a choice.

Being straight and single is becoming the fastest growing "lifestyle", especially nowadays without the need to date to have free or paid sex.

I guess soon only lesbians will have a "white picket fence" lifestyle of commitment for life. 

61TX0sxsDjL._SY522_.jpg

15 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

But being in a profound relationship with a same-sex partner is a gay life, not “a gay lifestyle.” Being vegan or a hiker or sober - or celibate - is a lifestyle. Being gay is who you are, not what you do.

Edited by Peter Eater