The death of the phone call as a method of communication

samhexum

Though I now use a smartphone (and with my usage, it could best be described as a developmentally-challenged phone), I still don't understand why phones calls are considered passe, and voicemails not even worth the time to listen to.  I don't think I'll ever NOT be that old fashioned.  

I have no idea what brought this to mind...

2678743.gif

2680200.gif

2681573.gif

The question is not whether we like it or not, but about whether standard etiquette is moving away from phone calls without a heads-up being socially acceptable. I tend not to accept calls from unknown numbers now, but generally will accept them if I know who the caller is. Even then I'll decline if I can't conveniently take the call. Those of us who are in the dinosaur community need to be aware of what current social norms are for calls even if we can ignore them among ourselves!.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:28 AM, mike carey said:

The question is not whether we like it or not, but about whether standard etiquette is moving away from phone calls without a heads-up being socially acceptable. I tend not to accept calls from unknown numbers now, but generally will accept them if I know who the caller is. Even then I'll decline if I can't conveniently take the call. Those of us who are in the dinosaur community need to be aware of what current social norms are for calls even if we can ignore them among ourselves!.

There was an episode of MadMen that touched on this subject.  Although it was in the 1960s, and the worry was that sending a telegram was becoming a lost art as long distance telephone calls became more common.  The advertising campaign they came up with is that you can't hold a voice announcement of good news in your hand, but you can with a telegram.  So use telegrams for important messages that you will want the recipient to keep (announcement of a new baby, new job, etc).

I am aware of people who prefer text messages specifically for the reason that they can view the transcript of the conversation days, months, even years later .

2 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I am aware of people who prefer text messages specifically for the reason that they can view the transcript of the conversation days, months, even years later .

Do they use fountain pens or quill and ink for messages they want to be sure the recipient can preserve for posterity?

3 hours ago, samhexum said:

Do they use fountain pens or quill and ink for messages they want to be sure the recipient can preserve for posterity?

My father grew up using quill and ink in elementary school.  He didn't use a fountain pen until high school.  I only used quill and ink a few times in my childhood on documents and crafts that were intended to be kept for posterity.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

I am always grateful when folks with superior educations than mine use their knowledge to make my life easier to navigate.

My father remembers telephones before dialing.  He said it was great because there were no wrong numbers or "spam" calls.

5 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

There was an episode of MadMen that touched on this subject.  Although it was in the 1960s, and the worry was that sending a telegram was becoming a lost art as long distance telephone calls became more common.  The advertising campaign they came up with is that you can't hold a voice announcement of good news in your hand, but you can with a telegram.  So use telegrams for important messages that you will want the recipient to keep (announcement of a new baby, new job, etc).

I'm old enough to remember that when someone wanted to commemorate an important event, they'd send a telegram. Even though they could just as easily (or more easily) make a phone call. The telegram represented importance and status, and would often be read out loud at a gathering such as a wedding.

Perhaps the MadMen campaign (or likely a similar one in real life) worked its magic into the public consciousness!

I still have my landline along with my computer for emails and my smartphone for a lot of things all in one device. I use my old phone quite a bit and people still call me on it almost daily during the week. The landline is also connected to my security system in my home.

I will never give it up but in my life a couple of the most dramatic events came late at night when I got that dreaded call in the middle of the night. In both cases it was about someone close in my family having just died. Of course once you receive that news you don’t go back to bed again and know your life has been irrevocably changed. But I didn’t mind. I can’t imagine getting such news in any other way unless they come to your door.

45 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I will never give it up but in my life a couple of the most dramatic events came late at night when I got that dreaded call in the middle of the night. In both cases it was about someone close in my family having just died. Of course once you receive that news you don’t go back to bed again and know your life has been irrevocably changed. But I didn’t mind. I can’t imagine getting such news in any other way unless they come to your door.

I've often wondered why such news can't wait a few hours later, till the early morning hours, instead of the middle of the night ?  If it's a parent or sibling - I understand. But aunt, uncle, cousin, friend - why can't it wait a few hours rather than interrupt you in your sleep ? It's not like you're being called to change the circumstances. 

17 minutes ago, Ali Gator said:

I've often wondered why such news can't wait a few hours later, till the early morning hours, instead of the middle of the night ?  If it's a parent or sibling - I understand. But aunt, uncle, cousin, friend - why can't it wait a few hours rather than interrupt you in your sleep ? It's not like you're being called to change the circumstances. 

I think it depends on the closeness of the relationship in actual fact, not the nominal relationship. Some people might be closer to an uncle than to their own father, for instance. 
A cousin may mean more than a brother or sister you never got along with in life. 

When one of these people die in the middle of the night those next to them when it happens immediately want to let you know. I understand that. Perhaps I would hold back if I were in that situation but I understand why others might not.

On 1/3/2024 at 12:59 AM, samhexum said:

I still don't understand why phones calls are considered passe,

People want more control over their personal time. A text message may be answered within 24hours and be considered appropriate, where a phone call is often picked up immediately at a moment in time which isn't ideal. So I've gotten in the habit of texting people a request to call me and vice-versa.

2 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

My father remembers telephones before dialing.  He said it was great because there were no wrong numbers or "spam" calls.

Who would called about a canned ham product?

I receive phone calls all the time as part of my job.  What is annoying to me is that people call and then do not leave a message.  They are usually calling from a number which is an extension and as a result the number reported on the phone is a main number.  As a result, there is no way for me to return the call and I need to wait around for them to call again.  I do not understand why leaving a brief message is such a chore.  This is particularly annoying when the call has wakened me from sleep and now, in 5 to 10 minutes I will be awakened again.  

I am a texting hater myself, but I understand why phone calls are so unwanted. The disruption. "Ring! Ring!" - and of course nowadays, it's the latest rap tune, or an annoying sound effect that people programmed in their phone as an alternate ring which nobody else is interested in ever hearing. "Text, DO NOT CALL" is a common comment in listings. However, I have had a few gentlemen (all older) insist on hearing my voice before I could see them to know I'm an actual person, which is far less invasive than demanding a photo. 

Phone call is still a good way to not leave a digital trail.

It's not foolproof, since it could be recorded by the other party and quickly transcribed automatically. 

These days you have to watch every word you transmit over a "communication device" ..since everything is recorded somewhere on some server and can be reproduced (i.e can come back to haunt you) .