Giving Christmas gift to providers

BananaBagel

2 hours ago, acks0104 said:

If you've specifically talked about something that you think he might like, I think it would be nice. Don't make it a big deal and it won't be weird. If you don't know what he likes, a cash tip is always a nice Christmas present to any provider.

I was thinking about cash too - but there relationships are already a bit transactional I guess. I dunno. 

11 hours ago, glutes said:

Paying your provider ~~$350/hour "many times", he should be giving you a present.

In all likelihood, he already is, with probably not being a clock-watcher, making the client's time more than worth his while to be a repeat visitor. That's a present all on it's own.

16 hours ago, BananaBagel said:

Does anyone give Christmas gifts to providers? I’m seeing a guy on Friday evening. We’ve had many appointments over many years and are friendly to a point. I’d like to give him something to  nod to how special he is - but I don’t want to make things weird. 

After I wish an acquaintance Merry Christmas, I pay attention to see if he responds with Merry Christmas 🎄 or Happy Holidays 🎉.  If he says Merry Christmas 🎄, then I will give him a Christmas gift 🎁.  If he says Happy Holidays 🎉, then I know he doesn't appreciate or expect the traditions associated with this National Holiday.  If, for example, he brings up Hanukkah, then I would consider giving him a Hanukkah gift.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial
Edited to emphasize the secular traditions of the national Christmas holiday

5 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I pay attention to see if an acquaintance says Merry Christmas 🎄 or Happy Holidays 🎉.  If he says Merry Christmas 🎄, then I will give him a Christmas gift 🎁.  If he says Happy Holidays 🎉, then I know he doesn't celebrate Christmas and I wouldn't want to offend him by gifting him anything.

Maybe they say 'happy holidays' because they don't know if you are jewish, christian, muslim, atheist - and they just want to be kind and encompassing of everyone.  Your theory is weak- if you don't like people saying happy holidays XXX just say that! 

I had a really lovely experience with a client of mine this holiday season.  

Long term regular.  He and I are very close.  Amazing beautiful man.  At the end of the session he expressed that he’d wanted to give me a Christmas present.  But he was conscious of the boundaries in our relationship.  And he was aware that I have a separate home life and was cautious of imposing himself on that.  He racked his brain on what to get, and in the end decided that cash was the way to go. 

It was about the most thoughtful explanation he could’ve given, and ultimately the most thoughtful gesture.  And honestly - exactly what I would’ve wanted. 

So I’m sorry if this sounds crass, but from a provider perspective?  Cash bonus is the best Christmas gift.  🙏🏻 

14 hours ago, BananaBagel said:

Does anyone give Christmas gifts to providers? I’m seeing a guy on Friday evening. We’ve had many appointments over many years and are friendly to a point. I’d like to give him something to  nod to how special he is - but I don’t want to make things weird. 

Honestly though, I love this sentiment.  Sounds like he’s a super lucky guy.  And I don’t think a thoughtful gift is going to make anyone feel weird!

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

A bottle of wine!

Agree. If he drinks, get him a bottle of his preferred alcohol. It’s a nice gesture. If he does not drink, some of the other ideas mentioned are good.

YOU DON’T NEED TO GIFT HIM ANYTHING!

Your repeat business is all we want and need.

49 minutes ago, DamizzonNYC said:

I had a really lovely experience with a client of mine this holiday season.  

Long term regular.  He and I are very close.  Amazing beautiful man.  At the end of the session he expressed that he’d wanted to give me a Christmas present.  But he was conscious of the boundaries in our relationship.  And he was aware that I have a separate home life and was cautious of imposing himself on that.  He racked his brain on what to get, and in the end decided that cash was the way to go. 

It was about the most thoughtful explanation he could’ve given, and ultimately the most thoughtful gesture.  And honestly - exactly what I would’ve wanted. 

So I’m sorry if this sounds crass, but from a provider perspective?  Cash bonus is the best Christmas gift.  🙏🏻 

Thanks for saying this man .. and merry Christmas to you!

I’ve spent a lot of time with this anmazing provider over a lot of years. We pepped each other up through job changes, a snow storm, a global pandemic and some other life stuff. I want to try to show him that he’s special to me and I celebrate him and our friendship-ish and also that I respect that we’re not in a relationship and I see the boundaries. 

8 minutes ago, Simon Suraci said:

Agree. If he drinks, get him a bottle of his preferred alcohol. It’s a nice gesture. If he does not drink, some of the other ideas mentioned are good.

YOU DON’T NEED TO GIFT HIM ANYTHING!

Your repeat business is all we want and need.

Btw I wonder if you ever regifted something before boxing day?