Giving Christmas gift to providers

BananaBagel

On 12/21/2023 at 11:59 AM, Simon Suraci said:

Your repeat business is all we want and need.

I mean this in all seriousness, if this is the case why are so many providers so difficult and confrontational to the point where they are likely turning bookings away, and why do some go out of their way to emphasize they have more business than they can handle / don’t need the money etc

15 hours ago, DWnyc said:

why are so many providers so difficult and confrontational to the point where they are likely turning bookings away, and why do some go out of their way to emphasize they have more business than they can handle / don’t need the money etc

I can’t speak for everyone, so I will speak for myself. I personally want and need the business, so I appreciate my clients frequenting my studio. I expect no gifts or extra favors around holidays. Having the business is enough for me.

Some providers really do have more business than they can handle. Good for them. Even when that’s the case, the good ones won’t tell you that so directly. They may consider taking down their ads and only see referrals if that’s truly the case.

The confrontational, rude, and impatient providers will not last long in this field. When they don’t want your business, go to those who do.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:45 AM, DrownedBoy said:

That is correct. Traditional manners involves giving gifts to service people on Christmas. Few people remember that.

That is far from a universal practice, although it is not uncommon.  We give our housecleaner a month's pay at Thanksgiving and we give our mail carrier some money tucked into a card.  We also tip service people in restaurants extravagantly at Christmas, but nobody would fault us for not doing any of it.

On 12/21/2023 at 5:16 AM, Pensant said:

I’ve only done given a gift once; however, my regulars get high-end jeans and other gifts from me throughout the year.

I sent Christmas Cards to clients who booked multiple sessions and would be comfortable receiving a card.  

Giving high end clothing to regular masseurs?  Was the item on the masseurs list?  I do not care who you are no one wants an item they do not want.  Anyone, including provider or client, will appreciate a gift in person but are thinking, "why did someone give me this"?  Gift cards and cash work because most people will use these items.  Sexy underwear to someone might be a disappointment to others.  We are all guilty of giving and receiving gifts we did not want.  

My mailman loves Johnny Walker black and I always get him a bottle of that every year for Christmas and he told me it's his favorite Christmas gift he gets from the few people on that route that buy him a gift.

we give our mail carrier some money tucked into a card.

I was always told Federal Government employees are not allowed to receive tips or gifts - especially not at Christmas time. I tried to give my carrier a card with a tip in it years ago, and he told me he couldn't jeopardize his job and accept it.  When did this change ? 

On 12/25/2023 at 6:13 PM, handiacefailure said:

If you know his favorite liquor or wine, buy him a bottle of that.

My mailman loves Johnny Walker black and I always get him a bottle of that every year for Christmas and he told me it's his favorite Christmas gift he gets from the few people on that route that buy him a gift.

That may explain the misdelivered mail to most of your neighbors on the remainder of his route. 😉

On 12/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, Ali Gator said:

I was always told Federal Government employees are not allowed to receive tips or gifts - especially not at Christmas time. I tried to give my carrier a card with a tip in it years ago, and he told me he couldn't jeopardize his job and accept it.  When did this change ? 

The USPS doesn’t allow them to accept cash but they can get a gift card or gift up to $20.   I know the Johnny walker is worth more but I don’t think the post office really cares for that small of a difference

I have never tipped my mailman before moving into my current condo.   He is the mailman that delivers our office mail and if something comes certified to me at my house he will take it to the office for me to sign for.   

12 hours ago, handiacefailure said:

The USPS doesn’t allow them to accept cash but they can get a gift card or gift up to $20.   I know the Johnny walker is worth more but I don’t think the post office really cares for that small of a difference

I have never tipped my mailman before moving into my current condo.   He is the mailman that delivers our office mail and if something comes certified to me at my house he will take it to the office for me to sign for.   

Yup. I tried to "hurry along" a USPS guy with a 20 but he thrust it right back at me.

I'd like to tip my mailman,  but they never deliver my stuff before 5 or 6 at night. Nobody in my condo building even considers tipping for that reason. 

7 hours ago, DrownedBoy said:

I'd like to tip my mailman,  but they never deliver my stuff before 5 or 6 at night. Nobody in my condo building even considers tipping for that reason. 

Is it really your mailman's fault?  In my neighborhood,  the mail carriers have a full day's work and someone has to be last.  My own mailman varies the order in which he does his route...he can arrive at my house any time in the afternoon between 1 and 6 pm.

Edited by newatthis

On 12/30/2023 at 11:05 AM, DrownedBoy said:

Yup. I tried to "hurry along" a USPS guy with a 20 but he thrust it right back at me.

I'm sure he'd love a gift card for a nearby restaurant.

Something to keep in mind is that your mailman isn't responsible for you getting your mail late.   Our mailman told me that there is a department at the post office that sorts the mail and they base their route on that, so your condo building is probably sorted to be one of the last deliveries.

I was also told that if a mailman doesn't have all his mail delivered by his quitting time, he is legally alllowed to stop delivering for the day, so it sounds like your mailman finishes his route everyday if he's delivering that late in the day  

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve given a small candles or a nice scarf to providers before around the holidays and they were very appreciative. I don’t see anything wrong with it. If you want to do it I say go for it. After all it’s the thought that counts 🤣