Would you buy a $300,000 car?

foxy

The other day I went to Target. I parked next to this nice looking car and out of curiosity I looked to see what it was. It was a 2 door Bentley convertible. I’m not much of a car guy. I drive a 2013 Honda Accord that I paid $29,000 for. It drives fine. So I looked up this Bentley when I got home and the price seems to run between $281,535 and $411,205. It struck me funny that it was in a Target parking lot for some reason. But I thought even if someone is really rich can a car be worth that much money? And would you be shopping in Target lol. 

0D610C37-B129-407D-90CD-05BD6FDB2069.jpeg

I have LOADS of clients and see a lot of people who own cars like that and ones even with higher sticker prices and like @pubic_assistance said none of them are above shopping at places like Target. Knowing what I know about these people all things are relative and none that  I I know are living beyond their means.  On the flip side I see just as wealthy folks who drive "economy " cars 😉

Living in Southern California and visiting Beverly Hills, The Hollywood  Hiils, Indian Wells, Palm Springs almost weekly the shock and awe value of seeing those types of vehicles oddly diminishes. 

Edited by Vin_Marco

35 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

Is not a necessity for me to own any kind of car and even if I was worth 10 million, I wouldn't change the comfort of an SUV for a car like that! 

Bentley, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Ferrari and other high end car manufacturers make SUV's now 😜 

So aside from shopping at Target, what exactly does a $300,000 car do that my 10 year old Honda can’t do? One friend said that’s it’s a “better car”. But what does that mean? Since it doesn’t seem to impress people I’m lost as to why people spend that much money just to get from point A to B? Of course I don’t understand expensive wrist watches either. Obviously I’m not the target (ha ha) audience. 

13 minutes ago, foxy said:

So aside from shopping at Target, what exactly does a $300,000 car do that my 10 year old Honda can’t do? One friend said that’s it’s a “better car”. But what does that mean? Since it doesn’t seem to impress people I’m lost as to why people spend that much money just to get from point A to B? Of course I don’t understand expensive wrist watches either. Obviously I’m not the target (ha ha) audience. 

Probably the difference between a hotel room at a regular Marriott, and somewhere like Claridges and the Savoy... all would provide a comfy bed but the latter would probably make you feel a lil better 😂 Not everything that's exceedingly expensive is worth it but often times you really do get what you pay for. 

11 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Earlier this year I traded my Mercedes SUV for a Nissan SUV. I have concluded that the only thing better about the Mercedes was the radio.

I have a Japanese car for the miles and I have German cars and I have to admit that when you shut the door on a German car you realize how solid they are. I appreciate both types of cars for different reasons 

4 minutes ago, DERRIK said:

I just got a project to work on for the Bugatti Chicron - a modest 3 Million car.    Yikes

16 cylinders!!! a French car that's  developed and designed in Germany 🇩🇪 yea?  That's awesome 👏🏽 

14 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

Many (including myself) view their car as transportation. 

Others view theirs as a fashion accessory that obfuscates the little thing parked in the garage.

Something reliable, economical and safe to get you from A to B 👌🏽

I would lease it, yes. 

They craft a beatiful, handmade vehicle.  Bentley and Rolls Royce design such thoughtful features in their cars.

I was very close to leasing the Lambo Urus, but common sense got the best of me.  For what it would have cost me a month, I could easily own another investment property.  I just wasn't able to get over those numbers. 

That said, I've got time to make a few silly financial decisions.  

I ended up going with a new BMW at a little more than half the price.  Still expensive, but an expense I don't overthink.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

When I first opened my office, I was going to be working at two different sites for aa total of about 14 hours a day for 7 days a week.  As a result, I indulged in a nice jaguar convertible lease as I felt I wanted a little compensation that was tangible to remind me why I was working that hard to start.  I enjoyed the ride, putting down the roof, especially in the winter and turning on the heat to keep the car warm and the sunshine coming in.  I enjoyed looking back from a start off a red light and not seeing any cars near me.  Little pleasures which were a treat I felt I deserved.  At the time the lease was about 1200 per month.  I have subsequently figured out better ways to spend my money and better ways to validate my choice toward that hard work.  

Now I drive a Chevy Cruze which I bought new for 17000 and not surprisingly, I still get where I am going.  

Edited by purplekow

I guess, if you go by the cars, I live in a middle-class neighborhood, about an equal mix of ordinary cars and upscale ones - Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, etc.  Just recently, I have been seeing a Ferrari parked right in front of my house.  The guy who seems to own it is a tall, slender, nice-looking Asian guy with a shaved head.  We've exchanged greetings a couple times and he seems nice. I'm very curious about him.