Would you buy a $300,000 car?

foxy

23 hours ago, foxy said:

But I thought even if someone is really rich can a car be worth that much money?

Either you're a car guy, or you're not.  If you're a car guy, you either buy the supercar of your dreams, or you dream about the supercar of your dreams.  If you're not a car guy, you think such purchases are troubling signs of mental illness.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 7:59 AM, foxy said:

Would you buy a $300,000 car?

On 11/6/2023 at 8:02 AM, pubic_assistance said:

My best friend has one

On 11/6/2023 at 8:20 AM, Vin_Marco said:

I have LOADS of clients and see a lot of people who own cars like that

I think the more pertinent question is whether you'd try to make said automobile fly in order to make a KISS concert.

cars & boats are depreciating assets.  yeah, I know there are exceptions.  

lease or rent those - don’t buy unless you keep vehicles for 10 years

personally, i think the folks driving Bentleys, Rolls, Lamborghini are screaming for attention.  If you have real money, you don’t want anyone to know - that’s the rule. 

Car ownership is money down the drain every time. I no longer have a vehicle anywhere & life is so easy.  

On 11/6/2023 at 4:03 PM, foxy said:

So far from what I’ve gathered is that if you buy an expensive German car you get a better radio and it feels solid when you shut the door. Now I know what I’ve been missing driving a 10 year old Honda. 

You're forgetting that if you are in an accident your survivability rate is better in the Mercedes. Better built to withstand shocks. That solid sound of the door closing is an indication of whats underneath the skin of the car.

2 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

You're forgetting that if you are in an accident your survivability rate is better in the Mercedes. Better built to withstand shocks. That solid sound of the door closing is an indication of whats underneath the skin of the car.

And yeah, I know people might bring up Princess Di who was killed in a Mercedes. But the body guard who was strapped in in his seatbelt surivived the collision and he was in the suicide seat, front passenger seat. The other three were not wearing their belts. They collided with the interior of the car, which came to a sudden stop.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

The rule is that you don't want EVERYONE to know.

buying an expensive car, Bentley/Rolls/exotics is the quickest way to signal to the general public you’re rich - or, you want people to think you’re rich.  
Driving a car like that makes that person a target.  the real rich don’t generally go out of their way to do that.  For the aspirational rich, the thought probably never crosses their mind - they want the attention. Being a target to the aspirational means nothing because it’s a house of cards financially.

I’ve found the real rich are generally discreet and don’t try to broadcast wealth - on a need to know basis only: stockbroker, accountant, banker & maybe real estate agent.  They’ve got nothing to prove.  As always - exceptions to every rule.

Very much dependent on culture of the family & household.  

When I see men driving Lamborghini, Ferrari, and the like - my first thought is small dick

2 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

the real rich don’t generally go out of their way to do that.  For the aspirational rich, the thought probably never crosses their mind - they want the attention.

This is generally the difference between new money and old money.

Old money doesn't give a damn.what most of us think about them.

24 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

This is generally the difference between new money and old money.

Old money doesn't give a damn.what most of us think about them.

As a wise old investment advisor once told me, "the reason old money has money is that they don't spend it."  Or at least they refuse to spend it on something like a $400K Rolls Royce, yet they don't bat an eyelash about sending their kids to $50K/year private schools.

I just googled the profile of the typical Rolls Royce owner:  median net worth $30 million, salary $1-2 million/year, median age 43 (I would have guessed much older).  Wow, if that's "aspirational" rich, how much $$ do the "real" rich have??

45 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

When I see men driving Lamborghini, Ferrari, and the like - my first thought is small dick

Like I said, either you're a car guy, or you're not.  It's quite obvious you're not.

I'm a big believer in letting people enjoy their hard-earned money.  If you can't enjoy your money, why bother working?  Just because a guy spends his money in a way I wouldn't, I'm not going make nasty assumptions about the guy.

Live and let live.

2 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

That's what the Ferrari people say about the Lamborghini people 😜

1 hour ago, BSR said:

Just because a guy spends his money in a way I wouldn't, I'm not going make nasty assumptions about the guy.

I don’t think it’s nasty to “think” someone has a small dick & maybe compensating with an expensive sports car. statistically, many many guys have small dicks & it’s basically an obsession with lots of them.

Interesting to note however, re: exotic cars (Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc) about 90% of the buyers are men.  I wonder why ?

No - not a car guy.  Thankfully, I live in places where I don’t need one.

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

4 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

I don’t think it’s nasty to “think” someone has a small dick & maybe compensating with an expensive sports car.

If you're going to be nasty, at least be honest about it and take responsibility.

Edited by BSR

2 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

The thought does cross my mind when I see  a "big truck" even more so when i see a big truck made even bigger ( huge tires 🛞 lift kits, and suspension kits, etc  lol 😂

Compensation and overcompensation is just part of human behavior.... one could argue that for some, bodybuilding started for them as a way of overcompensating... for me it was possibly a reversal of the usual overcompensation.....  I'm with Arnold on this this one, when I was a kid I realized I had this particular body part that was big and I knew I had to bring up the rest of my body to the standard of that one particular body part lol 😂 ( kidding ) 

4 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

Same exact thing - different social class 

It crosses a a lot of peoples minds, it's s stereotype for a reason... with most stereotypes there's usually a sliver of truth to them. Italian super cars or big trucks aren't for me but if that's someone's cup of tea, so be it, big dick or little dick it's none of my concern 😃

17 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

Compensation and overcompensation is just part of human behavior.... one could argue that for some, bodybuilding started for them as a way of overcompensating... for me it was possibly a reversal of the usual overcompensation.....  I'm with Arnold on this this one, when I was a kid I realized I had this particular body part that was big and I knew I had to bring up the rest of my body to the standard of that one particular body part lol 😂 ( kidding ) 

LOL! You may be kidding, but it’s true and you have!

48 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

It crosses a a lot of peoples minds, it's s stereotype for a reason

Yup - not only a stereotype, but researched 

fyi - this is not surprising 

NYPOST.COM

Men with smaller-than-average penises are more likely to want to own high-performance sports cars...

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

I think a lot of old money folks drive nice cars, but nothing ostentatious or flashy. Something practical and reliable like a lexus, volvo, bmw, mercedes, or suv. But they are more likely to spend their money on real estate that appreciates quickly. Like on homes in a particular zip code or part of town that is established, usually in close proximity to the most prestigious country club in town.