Sentence Construction/Grammar Question

azdr0710

though definitely not an expert, I'm often a stickler for spelling and grammar and get upset at what often appear to be un-proofed computer-generated news reports with horrible continuity/grammar/construction.....(but please excuse my very casual style here in the forum!......long story on that!)...... 

posting this now because of this I just read:

Family owned Mexican restaurant La Fonda Del Sol, closed its Shea Boulevard and 72nd Street location to move to 10155 E. Vía Linda in Scottsdale. The owners of EthioAfrican had planned to take over the space, however, according to the owner, plans fell through.

1.  a hyphen is needed between "family" and "owned" - correct?

2.  there is no need for a comma after "Del Sol" - correct?

3.  there should be a new sentence after "the space" since the use of "however" is very awkward and incorrect as is - correct?... (this misuse of "however" is very common and frustrating)....thanks for your thoughts

Edited by azdr0710

I think you are right in 1 and 2, but I have seen 3 used and looking well-written. However, since the rest of the content is not properly written at the same time that the restaurant location could give the impression that there are two of them, it makes more sense to make it a separate sentence. I'd also change the syntax of the first sentence.

I'm a grammar freak myself, so this is how I'd write it:

Family-owned Mexican restaurant La Fonda Del Sol, closed its current location at Shea Boulevard and 72nd Street, to move to 10155 E. Vía Linda in Scottsdale. The owners of EthioAfrican had planned to take over the space. However, according to the owner, plans fell through.

4 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

I would have edited it for clarity and conciseness:

Original:
Family owned Mexican restaurant La Fonda Del Sol, closed its Shea Boulevard and 72nd Street location to move to 10155 E. Vía Linda in Scottsdale. The owners of EthioAfrican had planned to take over the space, however, according to the owner, plans fell through.

Edited:
Family-owned Mexican restaurant La Fonda Del Sol, located at Shea Boulevard and 72nd Street, has closed. The owners will relocate [or have relocated] to 10155 E. Vía Linda in Scottsdale. Their former site was to have been taken over by the owners of EthioAfrican, now located at [state address], but those plans have fallen through.

21 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

though definitely not an expert, I'm often a stickler for spelling and grammar and get upset at what often appear to be un-proofed computer-generated news reports with horrible continuity/grammar/construction.....(but please excuse my very casual style here in the forum!......long story on that!)...... 

posting this now because of this I just read:

1.  a hyphen is needed between "family" and "owned" - correct?

2.  there is no need for a comma after "Del Sol" - correct?

3.  there should be a new sentence after "the space" since the use of "however" is very awkward and incorrect as is - correct?... (this misuse of "however" is very common and frustrating)....thanks for your thoughts

Correct in the first two, I think, but I am not sure about the last one. To me the last sentence seems correct the way it was printed.

Azdr, we are very much like minds in our approaches to grammar and sentence construction.  I often wish I had made my living as a professional proofreader/editor.  I still might...never too late, right?  I agree with all three of your observations.  That use of "however" is clunky and interrupts the flow of the sentence.  

2 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

Ha.  My teams at work have often used me to proofread/revise any formal communications because I talk good 🙂  The downside is that they jump on anything I misspell. 

A coordinator in my department had the quite persistent habit of using the word mourning instead of morning, as in e-mails stating, "There will be a staff meeting in the Conference Room at 9 o'clock Wednesday mourning." After repeated attempts to cure him of this disability, I finally succeeded by having all the staff members wear black to one of the meetings. Point made.

19 hours ago, youngboldone said:

Azdr, we are very much like minds in our approaches to grammar and sentence construction.  I often wish I had made my living as a professional proofreader/editor.  I still might...never too late, right?  I agree with all three of your observations.  That use of "however" is clunky and interrupts the flow of the sentence.  

Are there human proofreaders any longer? I certainly don't see much evidence of them in the newspapers I read. I took a course in proofreading once, because I enjoy correcting people's mistakes, but the teacher explained that it was a very poorly paid profession, and should be considered only as a sideline.

Edited by Charlie
I made an error!

20 hours ago, youngboldone said:

I often wish I had made my living as a professional proofreader/editor.  I still might...never too late, right?  I agree with all three of your observations.  That use of "however" is clunky and interrupts the flow of the sentence.  

If you'd been a professional proofreader/editor, you would have lost the "two spaces after a period" habit a LONG time ago. 😊

https://youtu.be/iTXZUdyP7xc?si=wEPJ7eAF-girDfYn

I recently came across a marvelous Judy Garland video clip — her rendition of “From This Moment On” - and for whatever reason, I never noticed the lyrics. Ugh. You and ME, Cole, you and ME!

From this moment on
You and I babe
We'll be ridin' high babe
Every care is gone
From this moment on.