Getting the latest Covid vaccination

BobPS

57 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

You're a poet, and didn't know it! I hope you don't have to wait in line, and that you'll feel just fine. 😉

With hope  and optimism we wait,  we certainly don't want it late.     With administered,  the vaccine leave not a lump,  instead  we get the urge to hump

Well I tried...haha

12 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I got the old vaccine in June because it was 6 minths since I had the last booster. The new vaccine is not available here yet I believe but should be soon. I will ask if I can get the new one as soon as it appears. That would be about 3 months since the last shot.

The guidance indicates 6 months. See the last bullet point in ‘what you need to know’. That said, you probably won’t run up against much resistance if you pursue the new formulation earlier, particularly since the new variant seems distinctive and there is no evidence of harm with premature uptake. 

(USA FDA has set eligibility with merely a 2-month gap from more recent dose.)

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/publications/vaccines-immunization/national-advisory-committee-immunization-summary-supplemental-statement-september-12-2023-addendum-guidance-use-covid-19-vaccines-fall/summary.pdf

Edited by SirBillybob

Just booked mine in NYC for first week Oct.  Will get the super-duper old man flu shot later in Oct, timing seems key for that and it's a bit early for northeast coast flu cycles.

Had 2 COVID boosters last fall because they gave me the wrong one at first.  Hope we get it right this year.

2 minutes ago, robear said:

Just booked mine in NYC for first week Oct.  Will get the super-duper old man flu shot later in Oct, timing seems key for that and it's a bit early for northeast coast flu cycles.

Had 2 COVID boosters last fall because they gave me the wrong one at first.  Hope we get it right this year.

is there any talk about side effects from this round? want to be mindful about when i schedule mine!

thanks

1 hour ago, NipLuvr212 said:

is there any talk about side effects from this round? want to be mindful about when i schedule mine!

I have always had a bad day after, feeling flu-ish and generally blech. I assume this time will be the same.

More specifically, I have had no reaction at all except for 4 hrs. beginning 24 hrs. after injection.  For that small window of time I've felt like death warmed over, but then it passes completely. Weird, I figured it was only me, but I've seen similar stories posted online, so maybe not. In any case, whatever you've experienced before will probably repeat, I haven't seen anything about new side-effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. I was incorrect in my forecast of approval timeline for the new Novavax candidate. The lag time has been 3 weeks. It was given Emergency Use Authorization today based on non-clinical data. I will likely consider this option eventually if approved in Canada.

IR.NOVAVAX.COM

This Emergency Use Authorization and CDC recommendation makes Novavax's vaccine the only protein-based...

Edited by SirBillybob

Hey SirBillybob, …...those are great news!!!! 👍👍👍😊

Wow and I am very impressed with your posts regarding the vaccines. Very interesting stuff.

Thanks a lot for sharing!!!

So I am going to give Novavax a “shot”…😉😊 as soon as it is available.

Probably it has nothing to do with the mRNA technology but my son developed a huge lymph node bump in his neck after his latest shot that took forever like several months to disappear. So I have been a little bit anxious about getting the shot after his experience.

it also does not help that the last vaccine shot that I got was in the second half of 2021 after I got Covid the 2da time in January 2021. So it has been a loooong time….after that I got Covid a couple of times and each time it got milder and milder, the last time I discovered I had it was earlier this year in January almost by chance, I always get in in January but in 2 days it was gone. So probably the reaction should not be bad.

I know Its stupid to worry about a reaction to a Covid vaccine when I practically did not have a reaction to the real thing the latest time. Just burning eyes for a day. But you never know.

Actually probably in my case the most rational thing would be to just get a Pfizer booster but whatever.

Probably just “ interested in changing things up with the main established protein subunit option” 😊😊👍

CVS is going to carry it according to the Novavax link. I will ask the pharmacist in a couple of days.

Edited by LFABWC

14 hours ago, Pensant said:

I’m wondering what the total possible number of boosters has been since the introduction of the Covid vaccines in early 2021? 3 or 4?

8 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I have had four boosters - 10/21, 4/22, 10/22, 5/23.  

Got my flu + 4th booster yesterday.  I had a Walgreens Band-Aid on each bicep.  I looked like such a macho stud as I left the store using my walker.

Got both my 4th and the flu shot yesterday. Sore arm yesterday but (so far) no reaction today at all (of course i haven't had my coffee yet so i might not notice if a limb were missing). I did have bad next day aches and pains after #3 and a violent photo-sensitivity reaction the day after #2 so I'm not driving or working in the sun. 

1 hour ago, SometimesBi said:

At a routine doctor visit just last month, they gave me a booster. They told me it was the latest, but a week later I heard reports from others going in for theirs, that the clinic in fact did NOT have the latest.

So, is there any concerns if I get another booster (this time the latest) only 3-4 weeks later? 

Please check with your physician what you received. Do not go on hearsay. The updated mRNA vaccines were approved Sept. 12th. That said, you likely received the now outdated bivalent booster, and providers were calling it ‘the latest’ at the time (even recently) as the updated vaccine news was gradually getting on the news radar, and product typically not yet supplied for general consumption. But they were supplied in trials. Slim slim slim chance your physician had trial subjects, though study supply would/should be deployed strictly for them. Confirm anyway, I suggest. Always be clear about what was injected. 

If you need the updated version a bit sooner than 2 months (see below), for example a trip abroad given the current variant, it probably won’t hurt you, but you should seek formal consultation about such a move. The delay is as much to enhance immune response as to avoid adverse reaction. In fact, some people with a booster history will receive two consecutive updated doses to maximize protection. It’s not necessarily overdoing it to go off-label for a good reason and your provider is on board. 

The official USA guidance is minimum 2 months delay between the last bivalent booster and the updated vaccine. This suggests that you are certainly not alone in the timing of your latest booster (likely what you assume you got). Some folks simply hit the timing for a summer booster due to their particular (ie, 6 month) lapse from the previous dose.

Again, upcoming and in fact already available doses are called updated, not booster, in order to line up the current reality and associated language terms with, say, annual influenza vaccination. 

Edited by SirBillybob

19 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

Please check with your physician what you received. Do not go on hearsay. The updated mRNA vaccines were approved Sept. 12th. That said, you likely received the now outdated bivalent booster, and providers were calling it ‘the latest’ at the time (even recently) as the updated vaccine news was gradually getting on the news radar, and product typically not yet supplied for general consumption. But they were supplied in trials. Slim slim slim chance your physician had trial subjects, though study supply would/should be deployed strictly for them. Confirm anyway, I suggest. Always be clear about what was injected. 

If you need the updated version a bit sooner than 2 months (see below), for example a trip abroad given the current variant, it probably won’t hurt you, but you should seek formal consultation about such a move. The delay is as much to enhance immune response as to avoid adverse reaction. In fact, some people with a booster history will receive two consecutive updated doses to maximize protection. It’s not necessarily overdoing it to go off-label for a good reason and your provider is on board. 

The official USA guidance is minimum 2 months delay between the last bivalent booster and the updated vaccine. This suggests that you are certainly not alone in the timing of your latest booster (likely what you assume you got). Some folks simply hit the timing for a summer booster due to their particular (ie, 6 month) lapse from the previous dose.

Again, upcoming and in fact already available doses are called updated, not booster, in order to line up the current reality and associated language terms with, say, annual influenza vaccination. 

Last time I searched the amount of antibodies to the spike protein was irrelevant in order to decide when to get vaccinated. Is this still the case? Of course there are a lot of variables implicated in the equation….(intensity of exposure, circulating variants, lab doing the test, how is your immune system doing etc etc etc) but I am just curious.

I have been getting antibodies level tests regularly every so often and never got reinfected until when the levels went lower than 1000….(I forgot the units)

Of course I am not going to decide about when to get vaccinated based on this number, I am just curious about it.