Getting the latest Covid vaccination

BobPS

5 hours ago, Pensant said:

Are you referring to the spring 2021 double doses and the late 2021 pre-bivalent booster?

Any Covid vaccine from before the latest iteration (about a month ago) is essentially useless. The CDC recommends all adults receive one dose of the current vaccine. Unlike influenza, the current strain is highly unlikely to put anyone in the hospital, much less kill. That being said, as @SirBillybob above just pointed out, the virus can still cause quite unpleasant respiratory symptoms, so it's still wise to get the updated vaccine. I also have some test kits at home, as well as a course of Paxlovid. If I come up with symptoms, I'll test myself and start the Paxlovid if positive. 

21 hours ago, samhexum said:

Got the RSV, but I'm too young for the pneumonia.  And my pulmonologist said I don't need it.

I'm probably as young as you, and I've received the pneumonia vaccine twice (once in my 20s, and once in my 30s when the new vaccine was developed to be effective against more strains of pneumonia).

My doctor knows that I'm very sexually popular, so we're getting me all of the shots I can.

22 hours ago, craigville beach said:

i didn't know that pneumonia only hit people of a certain age.

Not pneumonia generally, which is a symptom not a disease, and can have many causes.  The vaccines are specific to multiple strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae, which most impacts the very young and very old.  The vaxes also have limited efficacy, especially over time, hence the age restrictions.  They also seem to be evolving with R&D and clinical experience, along with the recommendations for use.  As always ... "ask your doctor."

21 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I was quite sick the day after I received my vaccine from the pharmacy at my supermarket.  I don't blame the supermarket.  It's our immune system doing what it's supposed to do.i

This was.a situation where the young.person  who gave me the shot . seemed very confused 

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2023 at 9:40 PM, SirBillybob said:

The guidance indicates 6 months. See the last bullet point in ‘what you need to know’. That said, you probably won’t run up against much resistance if you pursue the new formulation earlier, particularly since the new variant seems distinctive and there is no evidence of harm with premature uptake. 

(USA FDA has set eligibility with merely a 2-month gap from more recent dose.)

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/publications/vaccines-immunization/national-advisory-committee-immunization-summary-supplemental-statement-september-12-2023-addendum-guidance-use-covid-19-vaccines-fall/summary.pdf

Ontario just announced yesterday that those eligible to get the new formulated Vax could do so after 3 months from their previous shot. So I went into my pharmacy today and they did it without appointment. I otherwise would have had to wait till the the of the month.

Covid is ramping up quickly here and I know people including in my own family who have come down with Covid in the last three weeks and been miserable. The hospitals are also filling up. Vax takeup tho is lagging. We’ll see where this goes. I still haven’t contracted it yet and now have seven shots. 

I’ll probably get it now. Lol.

It’s interesting how public health policy changes are being communicated these days. Yesterday at lunch I heard the chief medical officer for Ontario, which has a population of over 15 million people and Canada.s largest city, Toronto, say on the CBC news that Ontario was effective immediately changing its waiting period for the Covid vaccine to 3 months from 6.

The reason it was doing this was because Covid cases were spiking and hospitals were feeling the pressure. With Xmas coming if people who were otherwise eligible got the shots, they would enter the holiday season in 3 weeks with added protection.

Si I went to my pharmacy later yesterday and they hadn’t heard about it even though they had supplies and were doing people who had waited 6 months. They told me to come back today, which I did. And they gave me the shot, no questions asked. They had administered my last shot 5 and a half months ago.

This is a precipitous mash up of Canadian NACI guidance suggesting that >3 and <6 months does no apparent harm but that immune response may be better if the delay is closer to 6 months, yet the unknown of whether that point holds for the current strain; the possibility that shorter duration uptake may offset community incidence in that some infections may be avoided if vaccination taken earlier and in light of holiday seasonality as you mentioned; and the reality that supply is underused and may as well be given earlier to interested candidates if truly intended eligibles are not stepping up. That this may be Ontarian specifically just suggests lack of uniformity nationally. Only folks like you that follow and can grasp the related media news will be more likely to follow through.

I’m abroad and hope that my SARS-CoV infection and recovery of a few months ago will be protective. 

Edited by SirBillybob

On 12/6/2023 at 7:20 AM, Pensant said:

Wow! 6th shot and no reaction. That’s great to hear! I was a bit sore from the flu shot, surprisingly.

I also had no reaction from my 6th Covid jab 2 months ago.  Interestingly, I have Covid right now (that's what a weekend in NYC,  two rock concerts, a Broadway show, and an evening at Fairytail Lounge will get you) but it is a fairly mild case.  I got on Paxlovid a few days ago and am already feeling much better.  I (rightly or wrongly) attribute my mild case to keeping up with my Covid vaccinations.  

Coincidentally, on the local Michigan news tonight, they were talking about a spike in Covid cases in the state.  700 new Covid hospitalizations in the state within the last week.  They say only 19% of Michiganders are current with their Covid vaccinations.  A word to the wise: get vaccinated...especially if you are of a certain age as I am.

25 minutes ago, ButchAtl said:

I'll be needing the location of your hot Asian pharmacist please!!  🙂

I have received that request before.  While I jealously conceal his exact location, he/I am located in middle-upstate New York.  He is at a CVS location, and I believe he is there only on Wednesdays.  🤫

I got the Covid and RSV and the same time last week.  I have not had any reaction to Covids before (other than the sore arm), so I am guessing it was the RSV that put me in bed for two days?  Severe fatigue and headache and blahness!   

Edited by ButchAtl