Getting the latest Covid vaccination

BobPS

3 hours ago, LFABWC said:

Last time I searched the amount of antibodies to the spike protein was irrelevant in order to decide when to get vaccinated. Is this still the case? Of course there are a lot of variables implicated in the equation….(intensity of exposure, circulating variants, lab doing the test, how is your immune system doing etc etc etc) but I am just curious.

I have been getting antibodies level tests regularly every so often and never got reinfected until when the levels went lower than 1000….(I forgot the units)

Of course I am not going to decide about when to get vaccinated based on this number, I am just curious about it.

I think that the research wisdom is that any antibody level gives some protection; higher antibody levels give more protection; and previous infection adds more protection from re-infection than the protection infection-naïve get against first infection, assuming antibody level is classified/binned the same way, where S antibodies are induced by infection, vaccination, or both.

At an individual level, remaining infection free or re-infection free theoretically rests on antibody level (controlling for other risk factors, as you already indicated is important), but breakthrough infection is possible for anybody. Your acquiring re-infection at what you think was a lower if not lowest personal antibody level does not substantiate the theory any more than a person’s non-infection over time at a negligible antibody level refutes it. 

I think that vaccination (re)uptake timing is arbitrary, that is, erroneously suggestive of the irrelevance of antibody levels because the relative hazards of infection risk predicated on antibody levels are extremely difficult to translate into a time-stratified model for vaccination. Moreover, it would be cost-prohibitive to repeatedly assess everybody’s antibody levels for the sole purpose of determining acceptable deviations in any direction from arbitrary vaccination timelines.

Edited by SirBillybob

9 hours ago, Mrprofessional said:

I’m driving out an hour from the city to get the updated COVID shot sooner rather than later. No appointments available within the city within my health care system until late November  ugh  

Are you in Manhattan? 

I'm hoping to get the latest Covid booster tomorrow (fingers crossed). It's my fourth appointment for it; the first three were each cancelled by the pharmacy within 24 hours after I made them. Not too surprising, I guess, given the distribution problems this time around.

Manufacturers say they've made plenty of doses, but since pharmacies now have to buy the vaccine from their suppliers (as opposed to getting it free from the federal government, as previously), I'm guessing the main difficulty is with assessing what the demand will be and trying not to over-order.

20 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

It helps to read previous posts in this thread before contributing. This isn't a "booster."

Given your inclination to respond like that, you must be quite bothered by the countless print and online sites - including medical sites - that also use the word "booster." Sorry to add to your aggravation. 

Or read earlier in the thread, because well why not put all viral diseases under a coronavirus topic? lol

The same RSV vaccine, GSK’s Arexvy, was approved in Canada 2 months ago. It will not be publicly funded and the word on the street is that it will cost recipients $250-300 for a dose. The inoculation temporal benefit tentatively put forward is deemed to be two seasons (15-18 months?), so avoid uptake randomly throughout the year as had been the CoV vaxx trend because you may just get one season of protection, for example, if jabbed in April. Or be mindful of north-south hemisphere incidence variables, etc. if you are longstay in the southern hemisphere Nov-Mar, the chances of catching RSV are much lower.

I am considering it, but mindful of the point made by @Unicorn regarding age and the recommended threshold of 75 years, stated by an InfDis conference presenter, as I am not nearly 75, I am healthy and fit, and not around older folks or very young children this winter. 

Edited by SirBillybob

1 hour ago, SirBillybob said:

Or read earlier in the thread, because well why not put all viral diseases under a coronavirus topic? lol

The same RSV vaccine, GSK’s Arexvy, was approved in Canada 2 months ago. It will not be publicly funded and the word on the street is that it will cost recipients $250-300 for a dose. The inoculation temporal benefit tentatively put forward is deemed to be two seasons (15-18 months?), so avoid uptake randomly throughout the year as had been the CoV vaxx trend because you may just get one season of protection, for example, if jabbed in April. Or be mindful of north-south hemisphere incidence variables, etc. if you are longstay in the southern hemisphere Nov-Mar, the chances of catching RSV are much lower.

I am considering it, but mindful of the point made by @Unicorn regarding age and the recommended threshold of 75 years, stated by an InfDis conference presenter, as I am not nearly 75, I am healthy and fit, and not around older folks or very young children this winter. 

Kaiser has a one-stop walkin shop - RSV, flu and COVID. I'm going in Tuesday probably.

2 hours ago, Rudynate said:

Kaiser has a one-stop walkin shop - RSV, flu and COVID. I'm going in Tuesday probably.

On co-admin guidance:

Public Health Ontario has reviewed the clinical data and recommends where feasible (eg, outside of the urgency of RSV outbreaks in longterm care facilities) that flu and COVID vaxx be co-administered without concern. In contrast, it is recommended that RSV vaxx be staggered at least 2 weeks before or after either flu vaxx alone, COVID vaxx alone, or flu\COVID co-administration. It’s just a question of limited safety data and lack of data on whether co-admin may lower desired antibody titres for any one of the products. In my case, I am passing on one of the three due to a recent case of COVID, but it would not be inconvenient for me to defer Arexvy, if I decide to take it, following influenza vaxx. YMMV. 

The CDC flags similar reservations about immunity data and directs co-admin as acceptable but optional. In general, the thinking may be that many people will inadvertently skip circling back ‘à la carte’ in spite of intentions.

Edited by SirBillybob

Is it ok if I get only one or two shots per visit and not the whole cocktail in just one day.?

I am getting older, before I would get all the vaccines available not thinking much about it, but now I am not so sure. 

After Covid what I have noticed is how quickly the official narrative will change, and by the way that’s an ok and normal thing. First I remember having heard someone important in the CDC saying that if you got Covid once then you were immune to it, that Covid was not mutating very fast, then the same thing with vaccines that getting reinfected was extremely rare, then that no, reinfections were not rare that the vaccine was just designed to keep you out of the hospital etc etc etc……

.I remember being banned from a Reddit group for daring to suggest this thing before the official story changed. I  think that everything is relative but we love absolute statements and we love to be very judgemental and intolerant of anyone that won’t believe exactly what you think they should believe.
Well that’s the story of humanity, same things with religions etc and then when you read about it 50 years later you will think how come people were so stupid. and intolerant of different opinions!!!….

how many drugs have been approved by the FDA for years, after being well researched for years and years and found to be perfectly save etc etc and then later where taken out of the market? Of course I hope the same thing won’t happen with these new vaccines technologies.

they are considered super safe now. Of course based on what we know now. 

Anyway don’t get me wrong, I think they probably are the lesser of two evils. I will get my « vaccine/booster/whatever it is called » in a couple of weeks from now, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

I got my (seventh!) COVID last week, scheduled super-duper old-man flu for next week. Waited on the flu simply because last week was a little early in the "season" for the NE US. Asked my doc about RSV, he was kinda meh, you don't really need it. The illness is (usually) mild, there is some concern about triple-threat COVID-Flu-RSV co-infections, but if vaxed for the other two that's probably really unlikely. It's also brand new in broad use, best to avoid version 1.0 of things, absenting a true public health emergency like COVID. Aside from age, I have no high-risk factors and a blessedly limited history of infectious disease of any kind.

Obviously everyone's different though.

11 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

On Saturday I received my 3rd booster shot for the Coronavirus originally from Wuhan....

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean to say that you received a vaccine which isn't the current vaccine? Those old vaccines should not longer be given, as they probably don't do anything useful. The vaccination for the virus has a completely new paradigm now. At this point, it's simply to receive the new formulation as a single dose whenever it becomes available. There are no longer "boosters," and so on. 

WWW.CDC.GOV

CDC provides credible COVID-19 health information to the U.S.

"CDC recommends everyone 6 months and older get an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against the potentially serious outcomes of COVID-19 illness this fall and winter."...

WWW.CDC.GOV

COVID-19 vaccines protect against COVID-19. Get safety info and more.

"Everyone aged 5 years and older should get 1 dose of an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against serious illness from COVID-19...".

38 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean to say that you received a vaccine which isn't the current vaccine? Those old vaccines should not longer be given, as they probably don't do anything useful. The vaccination for the virus has a completely new paradigm now. At this point, it's simply to receive the new formulation as a single dose whenever it becomes available. There are no longer "boosters," and so on. 

WWW.CDC.GOV

CDC provides credible COVID-19 health information to the U.S.

"CDC recommends everyone 6 months and older get an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against the potentially serious outcomes of COVID-19 illness this fall and winter."...

WWW.CDC.GOV

COVID-19 vaccines protect against COVID-19. Get safety info and more.

"Everyone aged 5 years and older should get 1 dose of an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against serious illness from COVID-19...".

I wondered the same thing. As of a month ago the bivalent booster option is no longer authorized and should have been pulled from all dispensaries. If an error was made, one particular liability is messing with the recommended minimum duration between any two SARS-CoV-2 vaccine doses, given that shorter intervals may reduce the desired immune response, in this case the anticipated benefit of the updated version (not yet administered) that has reverted back to a monovalent formulation. The “fix” for such an error is unclear, but guidance suggests a 3-month minimum interval between doses. 

Edited by SirBillybob

33 minutes ago, Unicorn said:
12 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

On Saturday I received my 3rd booster shot for the Coronavirus originally from Wuhan....

I think that @Vegas_Millennial was (unsuccessfully) trying to re-invigorate an old political canard. 🤡

1 hour ago, SirBillybob said:

Good to know. Will you apply the savings coupon to make for a package deal discount 🍆🍑?

The store offered a 10%-off coupon per vaccine.  I received two coupons, one each for the flu shot and the booster/vaccine/update/biviralant/gayvirulant/covid-19/Caronavirus/(whatever the current name is of the family of viruses that came out of China a few years back) shot.

16 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

Good to know. Will you apply the savings coupon to make for a package deal discount 🍆🍑?

I try to be caught up on my seasonal vaccines by the start of October, because I usually find myself with a sore throat by the end of October. 🎃

I've come to realize it's no coincidence.  My sore throat is probably due to the excessive amounts of deep throating 🍆 I tend to do to celebrate my birthday 🎂 in mid October.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial