Getting the latest Covid vaccination

BobPS

There's a new formulation for the variant currently around. It's getting time for the flu shot also.

WWW.CDC.GOV

View FDA-approved and FDA-authorized uses of the Covid-19 vaccines in the United States.

"...People ages 5 years and older who are unvaccinated or previously received any number of Original monovalent or bivalent mRNA vaccine doses are recommended to receive 1 dose of an updated (2023–2024 Formula) mRNA vaccine from either manufacturer.
People ages 12 years and older who previously received 1 or more doses of Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine or Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine, including those who also received any mRNA vaccine dose(s), are recommended to receive 1 dose of an updated (2023–2024 Formula) mRNA vaccine from either manufacturer
..."

5 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

I'm scheduled to get it (Pfizer) today at Walgreens, I'll let you all know if they have it 

I'm sure they still have supplies of the old one. Don't get the old one by mistake. It's pretty much useless at this point.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:46 PM, Unicorn said:

There's a new formulation for the variant currently around. It's getting time for the flu shot also.

What's your advice about staggering/combining:  RSV, Pneumonia, Covid, Flu?***   I read that RSV tends to strike earlier than flu, so I'm thinking RSV + Pneumonia in one visit, Covid + Flu at a subsequent one.

*** Just to be clear, I mean staggering/combining getting the vaccines, not the illnesses.

3 hours ago, samhexum said:

What's your advice about staggering/combining:  RSV, Pneumonia, Covid, Flu?***   I read that RSV tends to strike earlier than flu, so I'm thinking RSV + Pneumonia in one visit, Covid + Flu at a subsequent one.

*** Just to be clear, I mean staggering/combining getting the vaccines, not the illnesses.

As it happens, I'm at a medical conference now and attended a lecture given by an infectious disease expert who discussed this very topic. Covid is peaking now, so for COVID, ASAP. He recommended RSV only for (1) those over 75, (2) the immunosuppressed, and (3) those who contact infants and toddlers 2 and under. You can get COVID and influenza together, but influenza peaks in the winter, so if you'd like to stagger, you can wait a month for influenza. 

(As discussed previously, he said prior Covid shots are essentially useless. Regardless of prior Covid shots, get the one and new shot, which he suspects will just be a regular, changing shot like the annual flu shot)

Edited by Unicorn

12 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

He recommended RSV only for (1) those over 75, (2) the immunosuppressed...

How about 61, with bad lungs from years of pot smoking?

Would you recommend covid/pneumonia now, & flu in Oct, or pneumonia w/ flu in Oct?

Thanks. 

Just deduct this free medical consultation as charity work.  (you're welcome)

Pneumovax is whenever, not an annual shot. It's close enough to October, so you should get flu/Covid now. Pneumococcal vaccine can wait. He didn't mention COPD, but if you have bad COPD, I guess RSV might be reasonable, especially if you have lots of contact with children, the usual carriers. The pneumonia vaccine schedule is complicated. Not usually recommended for adults under 65, but could be recommended if you have COPD or other lung disease:

WWW.CDC.GOV

The Pneumococcal vaccine can protect agains pneumococcal disease, which is any type of infection caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria. There...

Edited by Unicorn

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Pneumovax is whenever, not an annual shot. It's close enough to October, so you should get flu/Covid now. Pneumococcal vaccine can wait. He didn't mention COPD, but if you have bad COPD, I guess RSV might be reasonable, especially if you have lots of contact with children, the usual carriers. The pneumonia vaccine schedule is complicated. Not usually recommended for adults under 65, but could be recommended if you have COPD or other lung disease: 

I'll schedule (I can't type that word without saying 'shedule'*** in a British accent in my head) an appt for covid/flu now.  I have an appt with my pulmonologist for the first time in 4 years (I had an appt scheduled 2 weeks after the 1st covid case hit NY.  I cancelled and have been REALLY lazy about going back) Oct 17th and I'll ask him about RSV & pneumonia.  

Gracias, Merci, Obrigado... and thanks, too.

*** BTW, as someone who uses Siri, you might like to know that if you dictate 'shedule', she understands and types it correctly.

Not yet rolled out here and “COVID-23” recently beat it to the punch, a virtual KO, fever 102-103F a few days; weeks to recoup health. Some 40 months was a lengthy period of time to be spared.

One less jab this Fall. Though case incidence seems paltry compared to historical peaks, even correcting for ascertainment bias, one might lay low considering access is nigh. 

Edited by SirBillybob

5 hours ago, sync said:

Got the new COVID and the flu shot last Wednesday (if that hunky Asian pharmacist gets any hotter, I'll be needing a sedative as well next time.)  😛

1 hour ago, sync said:

I'm in rural upstate New York...and I'm not sharing!!  😆

A reasonable facsimile:

image.png.06ae95a0328dd1ec410c3119bd3d98d8.png

With that plunging, yes, sedation please … 

image.gif.60d17f500b1b0da222c2d23b6f70b3b6.gif

9 hours ago, ICTJOCK said:

I heard the new COVID update is out.    I'll be getting mine without a doubt!

You're a poet, and didn't know it! I hope you don't have to wait in line, and that you'll feel just fine. 😉

Edited by Unicorn