What Kind of Milk Did You Drink Growing Up vs What You Drink Now?

rvwnsd
This topic is 1149 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up I just drank milk, there were no different sorts of it, just full-cream pasteurised milk in glass bottles that the milk man collected to be refilled when they were empty. Cartons gradually became a thing as I got older, and milk started to be homogenised as an alternative to pasteurised.

After moving between full cream and reduced fat milk over my life, always cows' milk, I've now settled on full cream homogenised. Reduced fat is a bit better in tea, but I don't like it in coffee, it's too thin. Recently I've seen regular pasteurised milk again, but the supply chain is longer so it's been in the bottles (now plastic of course) for a couple of days and the cream sets on the top of the milk, unlike the locally bottled milk of my childhood on which the cream at the top was still completely liquid. I also have a kilo bag of milk powder in the cupboard that I will use in cooking if I'm short of fresh milk, but I can't stand it to drink or in tea and coffee.

When I was really young, we had a milkman who delivered milk in glass bottles into a metal box on our front porch. That ended also in my early years, and remember walks to the dairy to buy the same milk in glass bottles. You could see and smell the cows in the barn right behind the dairy store.

Today, I drink sperm.

I know you were looking for that answer.

I'm always happy to swallow right from the tap

Growing up we drank regular pasteurized milk, not homogenized. Now I don't drink milk. My Coach says that dairy calories go straight to your waist. Not sure I agree, but it's no burden not drinking milk.

Well, then, how do you eat your cereal?

Whole milk growing up, but my mother starting mixing powdered milk with whole milk at some point in my early teens; we found out when she'd done it just before dinner and it was still foamy. My cousins drank powdered milk that they left out of the fridge; Mom kept putting it back in the fridge while we were visiting. I drank various fat percents and skim for a while but have gone back to whole milk.

Growing up we drank regular pasteurized milk, not homogenized. Now I don't drink milk. My Coach says that dairy calories go straight to your waist. Not sure I agree, but it's no burden not drinking milk.

That coach is no nutritionist. Dairy products include not just milk but cheese, butter, cream, whipped cream ( cream in another form), yoghurt, sour cream, ice cream, curds, whey, cottage cheese and I’m probably forgetting some. They all contain some essential nutrients which the body needs to stay healthy.

The trick is to consume these items in moderate amounts and not to gorge yourself on any, especially ice cream, which can be hard. If you eat a balanced diet in reasonable amounts suitable for your size, sex, and age, you are halfway to achieving a healthy life style.

That coach is no nutritionist. Dairy products include not just milk but cheese, butter, cream, whipped cream ( cream in another form), yoghurt, sour cream, ice cream, curds, whey, cottage cheese and I’m probably forgetting some. They all contain some essential nutrients which the body needs to stay healthy.

The trick is to consume these items in moderate amounts and not to gorge yourself on any, especially ice cream, which can be hard. If you eat a balanced diet in reasonable amounts suitable for your size, sex, and age, you are halfway to achieving a healthy life style.

I don't see anywhere in my original post having said that he said dairy products lacked nutritional value. What he says, basically, is that if you are trying to achieve a very low bodyfat level, e.g. 5 -6% or less, dairy isn't a good food choice. This is nutritional advice for competitive bodybuilders, not the general population.

Very solid, conventional mainstream nutritional advice. Not the only view however.