What Kind of Milk Did You Drink Growing Up vs What You Drink Now?

rvwnsd
This topic is 1149 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anywhere in my original post having said that he said dairy products lacked nutritional value. What he says, basically, is that if you are trying to achieve a very low bodyfat level, e.g. 5 -6% or less, dairy isn't a good food choice. This is nutritional advice for competitive bodybuilders, not the general population.

Glad that you clarified what your aims are. Most people are not trying to reduce their body fat to those low levels you cite. I have always been under the impression if is difficult to keep fat at those levels over a long period, and perhaps also not healthy to try to do so.

The body needs fat, just as it needs muscle, healthy bones and other components to maintain good health. I was not saying your coach was denying the nutritional benefits of dairy products. But by ruling them out, he was overlooking the essential constituents such as calcium and vitamins that are contained in such things as milk.

The milkman used to deliver milk in glass bottles twice per week to our house, so I have no idea what kind it was. I never really liked to drink milk and haven't drunk a glass of it by choice in about seventy years. However, I do use reduced fat milk occasionally on cereal or in really strong coffee, and I like a lot of milk products, especially cheese and ice cream.

My mother loved milk and drank it every day until she died at 102, so I guess it isn't really bad for you unless you are allergic to it.

Glad that you clarified what your aims are. Most people are not trying to reduce their body fat to those low levels you cite. I have always been under the impression if is difficult to keep fat at those levels over a long period, and perhaps also not healthy to try to do so.

The body needs fat, just as it needs muscle, healthy bones and other components to maintain good health. I was not saying your coach was denying the nutritional benefits of dairy products. But by ruling them out, he was overlooking the essential constituents such as calcium and vitamins that are contained in such things as milk.

No, a low bodyfat like that for an extended period wouldn't be healthful. 7% is probably the lowest you could go on a sustained basis. That wouldn't be sustainable for an average person, but somebody who is used to strict dietary discipline wouldn't have a hard time with it.

It is very common in today's world for people not to consume dairy products. Vegans for example. They seem to thrive without dairy. So it isn't true that dairy is a necessary part of the diet.

It is very common in today's world for people not to consume dairy products. Vegans for example. They seem to thrive without dairy. So it isn't true that dairy is a necessary part of the diet.

Dairy might not be a necessary part of one’s diet but by including it you are ensuring you are getting the necessary nutriants it supplies. By excluding it you have to be pro-active to find all the necessary substitutes to balance out a strictly vegan diet, for instance. A vegan diet won’t give you omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D, vitamin B12, or zinc and you will need to find supplemental or other ways to deal with this problem.

How many people are disciplined enough to follow through.

There is also evidence to suggest a vegan diet can lead to depression, mental health issues and eating disorders, more elevated than in the general population.

A scandal is brewing in Canada with the milk farmers being accused of using an additive in their cow feed that produces more milk, a palm oil derivative. Cooks are complaining it has changed the consistency of butter, making it harder and less easy to melt or soften.

The organization that represents the farmers reacted quickly, asking them to stop the practice, which went unheralded when it was adopted.

I think the federal government is going to face an increasing backlash, which has already started, since the entire dairy sector is government regulated with strict price and production controls across the entire country. At first blush this appears to be motivated by greed on the part of these farmers, who already enjoy a very remunerative occupation. Also their reputation of producing an entirely natural product has taken a hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Drank whole milk as a child, but lost my taste for it in college and never drink it any more. I don’t eat cereal, but occasionally use Calafia Farms almond milk. I use Organic Valley heavy whipping cream in my coffee early in the morning. Finishing my cup now!

Now: Almond Milk or Oat Milk

I don’t eat cereal, but occasionally use Calafia Farms almond milk.

"All beings in the universe are different. My people, for instance, are brilliant. Humans, on the other hand, are so dumb that they think the leading cause of death is heart disease. It's not. It's almond milk." Resident Alien - Season 1 Episode 2 Intro. ??

Resident-Alien-songs.jpg

Growing up I drank ordinary full cream milk, that was the only kind. It was delivered to the door, in glass bottles.

there were a few years when a smart doctor kept me off milk, due to chest infections.

I have drank very little milk since then, black coffee and tea, maybe some in cereal, but the most of my diary consumption would have been in cheese and ice cream.

Fast forward 50 years and I get diagnosed as lactose intolerant, wish I knew that when I was 5, and now that I totally understand that, I only touch plant based milks, so soy or oat or almond.

I dont drink milk straight, but if i need to add milk that’s what I use, or coconut milk in Asian cooking.

I even prefer to soak my Oat‘s for my Bircher muesli in apple juice.

Omg, I almost said breast milk cause I read this as when you were a baby ?

I actually developed allergies to milk when I was quite young so I stopped drinking milk when I was 3 or 4 and my parents switched me to juice. We didn’t have milk alternatives where I lived when I was little...

Maybe because I'm Scandinavian --who rarely, if ever, have lactose intolerance---I've drunk cow's milk (2%) all of my life....and have never even tried soy milk, almond milk, rice milk etc. As to the health benefits of cow's milk vs. non-dairy milks, I don't know which is "more healthy." But this is what the Mayo Clinic says: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-dairy-milk-soy-milk-almond-milk-which-is-the-healthiest-choice-for-you/