What was the first thing that ever made you feel “old”?

7829V

Going to the local DC swimming pool and being asked if I wanted to purchase a senior citizen ticket! I was only 48 years old. OUCH!

I was only about 53-54 went I went to the car wash, got the full service which was $15.95. Got up to the counter to pay, and he said $12.95. I must have had a really surprised look on my face, because he looked at me and said “senior discount “.

Ten years later, nobody asks if I want a senior discount. Must be the haircut.

But my favorite was the morning when a conference room share (nothing more) friend looked at me and said “we sound like our fathers in the morning

Your post gave me an instant recall of a humorous episode of the 1970's television series "Welcome Back, Kotter" which centered around "my father's noise."

A few years ago I went into an American Eagle store at a mall. (I think I had probably found some AE clothes at a TJ Maxx that fit me well, so I decided to try one of their stores.) When I found a couple pairs of jeans & saw that the dressing rooms were locked, I looked for a salesperson. A young man came to me and said, "Did you want to try those on? Or....did you say those are for your son?" :( Well, I was shopping alone & we had not spoken up to that point....so I said, "Yes, I'd like to try them on." I liked the fit & the look of the jeans, and when I went to pay for them a different salesperson (female this time) said, "OK, are these a gift?":oops: Wtf???

No, I haven't been back to that store since, but I do enjoy shopping on the AE site now.

This is one scenario where I don’t think you should have felt “old”, as the store primarily caters to teens.

Any salesperson there would probably assume that anyone over 25 in that store is shopping for (Or with) their child, niece, or nephew. ?

I'm a member of a running club and ever since I saw some members were born in year 2000 that's when I first felt old.
Reading this post, I realized that I have had sex with several boys born in 2000, and even in 2001. ? As a matter of fact, with the exception of my spouse of 17 years, who just turned 50, I have never had sex with anybody older than 35 ?

Since I was a “late bloomer” physically, I don’t mind looking my age at all. When I was younger and interviewing for jobs, a dear friend suggested that I would have a hard time with people taking me seriously since I looked like I was 14 (I was in my mid-20s). Now in my 50s with more than a touch of silver (and working hard to take care of myself), what makes me feel really old is when I catch myself cocking my head to one side to hear better.

When I was younger, say 18-40’s I always looked older than I was. Took my sister to the bank with me and was told “beautiful daughter” I was 18-19. I always did “beer run” during high school, college. Never carded. Actually turned that into a small profit enterprise for a couple years!

Today, I get compliments that I look younger! People think early to mid-fifties! I’m loving it!

Yes getting called “sir” at a younger age than I felt I deserved that was a bit irritating ?

When I mention terms like 'typewriter' 'protractor' or 'floppy disk' to my newly hired staff and their faces be like...

width=986pxhttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/AggressiveBoringFunnelweaverspider-small.gif[/img]

...or when I try to share with them my college memories and one insensitive jerk would say that they are at pre-school or have not started school yet.

Now when was the last time a computer had a floppy drive???

My oldest child turning 21. Hardest day of my life. But now my adult children are a joy

That's sweet. Mom insisted I was not allowed to graduate high school. She was joking about her own sadness, nevertheless the empty nest really tore her apart for years.

On the other hand, Nora Ephron once wrote that the empty nest is underrated :)

On the other hand, Nora Ephron once wrote that the empty nest is underrated :)

I think it's pretty individual. I come from a very large family. It was not a particularly warm, fuzzy experience and I wouldn't wish it on any child. Nonetheless, my mother couldn't get enough of children. Once her nest was empty, she filled it up again by starting a child care business. After that she became so attached to two of her great-grandchildren that she insisted that she alone knew what was best for them and their mother had to limit my mother's contact with them because she became so nutty.

I remember my first grey hair - driving with the sunroof open and the sun hit it and it was glowing. Now I don’t have any hair, on my head.

Then I started to notice a tuft of hair on my shoulder, eventually growing on my shoulders and my back.

When I first realized I had friends who were born after 1971, that was 1993. Now I’m dating someone who was born in 1998. My friends say I shouldn’t.

My nephew having a baby, then my niece. I thought graduating college was hard. At least my niece is married.

And playing catch-up on my retirement savings as I think I may actually live that long. If I work until 70 I may have enough of a nest egg to retire (8 more years).

The first thing? Probably when watching the BBC series Grumpy Old Men and seeing myself in much that was said... closely followed thinking the music in pubs was much too loud and couldn't they turn it down a bit as I couldn't hear anyone talk...

Awesome. "No No No No. This is an inquiry-line....I ask the questions." HA!

A couple of things:

-Being excited about going to bed before 9pm.

-Realizing there are kids serving in the military that were born AFTER 9/11

-And realizing that everyone I hire these days is technically young enough to be my kid.

I mean I’m almost 41 but hiring really makes me feel old these days lol

You’re not old enough to feel “old”.

I know how you feel. AE jeans fit me perfectly but every time I go in there I'm 15-20 years older than everyone.

Simple solution. Break in after the store closes.

Your post gave me an instant recall of a humorous episode of the 1970's television series "Welcome Back, Kotter" which centered around "my father's noise."

Shouldn't somebody have asked What's "Welcome Back, Kotter" by now?

Edited by samhexum

I remember my first grey hair - driving with the sunroof open and the sun hit it and it was glowing. Now I don’t have any hair, on my head.

Mine was walking through Chinatown when a cold rain started. I suddenly felt what I thought was lightning hit the back of my head. I reached up to check the damage and discovered a large drop of water had fallen from the fire escape above me and landed smack dab on the beginnings of a bald spot.

It has continued to flourish since then and, to this day, I avoid Chinatown in the rainy winter months. ⛈

For me, it was sometime in my 30’s when I had no idea what any of the “Top 40” songs were and I no longer had any interest in the Grammys. It was the beginning of the era of rap and hip-hop, and I neither liked nor understood the music. It was also about that time that I gained an appreciation for Sinatra, Ella, and Dinah Washington, so in some respects I’m glad it happened.

There have been many moments :-

working in customer service I used to run credit checks for new customers, they needed to be 18 years old, I used to type in the date of birth and query them, now working in law enforcement i run checks on suspects, some are born in 2010 and have criminal records....

turning the radio off in the car before reversing, or parking

avoiding bars where you cannot talk over the music

Not knowing the latest pop stars by name or recognising their music

finding my taste for hires runs in the over 30 age bracket

there are some benefits of ageing ........ now let me think .....

thinking .........

thinking ..........

still thinking .........