What was the first thing that ever made you feel “old”?

7829V

The first time I voted for a President who was younger than I was.

A colleague of mine used to start one of her standard lectures about how memory works with, "Of course, we all remember where we were when Kennedy was shot...." A student tentatively raised his hand and said, "Excuse me, professor, but I wasn't born then." She never used that line again.

Edited by Charlie

Like @Rudynate, I have always felt old. Or maybe I should say that I have always had an old soul and interests that did not match those of my contemporaries. I am told I look 10-15 years younger than my age, but my worldview and sensibilities are those of someone 10-15 years older. Yet I often still think I'm in my 20s, until I see someone who was born when I was already an adult walking around with kids of their own. That brings me back to reality pretty quick!

When Snapchat came out. There were other technology trends that came out before this I didn't really get into or know much about, but this was the first one that produced a confused, hostile, visceral "you damn kids get off my lawn" reaction from me.

I posted this video recently in another thread but it is even more relevant here. Take comfort in the fact this feeling is universal and all those younger people will feel it themselves. The wheel turns....

A few years ago I went into an American Eagle store at a mall. (I think I had probably found some AE clothes at a TJ Maxx that fit me well, so I decided to try one of their stores.) When I found a couple pairs of jeans & saw that the dressing rooms were locked, I looked for a salesperson. A young man came to me and said, "Did you want to try those on? Or....did you say those are for your son?" :( Well, I was shopping alone & we had not spoken up to that point....so I said, "Yes, I'd like to try them on." I liked the fit & the look of the jeans, and when I went to pay for them a different salesperson (female this time) said, "OK, are these a gift?":oops: Wtf???

No, I haven't been back to that store since, but I do enjoy shopping on the AE site now.

A few years ago I went into an American Eagle store at a mall. (I think I had probably found some AE clothes at a TJ Maxx that fit me well, so I decided to try one of their stores.) When I found a couple pairs of jeans & saw that the dressing rooms were locked, I looked for a salesperson. A young man came to me and said, "Did you want to try those on? Or....did you say those are for your son?" :( Well, I was shopping alone & we had not spoken up to that point....so I said, "Yes, I'd like to try them on." I liked the fit & the look of the jeans, and when I went to pay for them a different salesperson (female this time) said, "OK, are these a gift?":oops: Wtf???

No, I haven't been back to that store since, but I do enjoy shopping on the AE site now.

I know how you feel. AE jeans fit me perfectly but every time I go in there I'm 15-20 years older than everyone.

The first time I voted for a President who was younger than I was.

A colleague of mine used to start one of her standard lectures about how memory works with, "Of course, we all remember where we were when Kennedy was shot...." A student tentatively raised his hand and said, "Excuse me, professor, but I wasn't born then." She never used that line again.

Since 2000, all prime minister candidates here in Canada (we actually vote for the local rep but most of us are thinking of who will lead the government) have been younger to much younger than I am (think Justin Trudeau, young enough to be my son).

In the States, most presidential candidates have been older, with the exception of Gore, Bush 2 and Obama.

I’m now so old I never expect to vote for a leader older than myself. So I don’t even think about it. If I were an American, I wouldn’t vote for someone older than myself, which would have left out both Biden and Trump.

Playing the Thanksgiving post-feast touch football game with my dad, two older brothers, and a slew of nephews. Thought I was gonna die. Aches, pains, limping, moaning, groaning, ass-dragging, you get the picture. My oldest brother gently whispered “either you’re more of a pussy than I realized or you’re just fucking old”. That was the impetus to lose a few more pounds and hit the gym a wee bit harder. Just wait‘ll next year, dammit.

When I mention terms like 'typewriter' 'protractor' or 'floppy disk' to my newly hired staff and their faces be like...

width=986pxhttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/AggressiveBoringFunnelweaverspider-small.gif[/img]

...or when I try to share with them my college memories and one insensitive jerk would say that they are at pre-school or have not started school yet.