How Hot Are You?

Lucky

4 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Been a nice summer so far in Buffalo. I think we've only had one 90 degree day so far. No extended heat waves and not too humid. Mostly been upper 70s or low 80s. Haven't had to have the air conditioning going too often either then.

Philadelphia as well on Independence day

3 hours ago, samhexum said:

Jeez... if that's Celsius, global warming is worse than I thought!  I empathize with your friends.

Haven't been to the UK for decades but I don't believe they adopted the metric system. It was a major concession to modernity when they went decimal in their currrency.

When Canada went metric my father groused that for most of the year we were never going to see temperatures above zero. A bit of an exaggeration but even more so with global warming.

The metric system has been taught in UK schools for decades. And the weather forecasts and reports have similarly been in Celsius for many years.

I believe @keefer was reporting the temperature at night in London and had “translated” it for the benefit of others.

Those who follow tennis and Wimbledon will know that the weather in London has generally been very pleasant with daytime temperatures of 21-24C for some time now.

7 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

I believe @keefer was reporting the temperature at night in London and had “translated” it for the benefit of others.

Exactly!

The UK uses quite a strange mix of measurements:   temperature?  Celsius ... distance ?  well mostly miles, feet, inches; but also meters, and if you jog then its kilometers... weight? stones (don't ask)...  fluid is mostly metric, except for milk or beer...   I often have to explain sticks of butter, or lend measuring cups/spoons to friends trying American recipes...

In any event I'm used to translating Celsius to Fahrenheit when talking relatives in Arizona; and converting back to Celsius to explain to colleagues that Arizona summer is not unlike living in a blast furnace.

7 hours ago, keefer said:

In any event I'm used to translating Celsius to Fahrenheit when talking relatives in Arizona; and converting back to Celsius to explain to colleagues that Arizona summer is not unlike living in a blast furnace.

I remember travelling in northern Washington and turning on the TV inadvertently to a BC channel. Having lived in the US for almost two years at that stage I almost choked on my dinner when the weather forecast was for 10 degrees the following day.

These days I sometimes translate in here, sometimes quote both, and at other times just use Celsius (work it out for yourself) and I don't always specify which scale when I use C. Weather reports here give the temperature just as a number (only C without saying that's the scale used), and I noticed from the cricket coverage from England this week that the same practice applies there. I used to know how many stones and pounds I weighed but now have no idea in anything but kilos (I never had any idea what it was in just pounds), but I know how tall I am in both feet and inches, and in centimetres (or metres and cm). Some measurements I understand in inches, although those inches don't necessarily equate to the ones on a measuring tape. Distances in miles? No idea!

For the record today in Canberra it's ranged from 4 this morning to 14 now at lunch time. Now, time to heat some soup for lunch!

On 7/10/2022 at 8:00 AM, keefer said:

they're predicting 43 C in London next weekend

😮 43C?!? That’s some Saudi level heat! I don’t think I’ve ever experienced weather that hot in the UK or Ireland. Some scorchers for sure, but not 43C. Fortunately, most hotels have air con now, tho the same cannot be said when I’m staying with family or friends 🥵 

BBD 

On 7/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, keefer said:

they're predicting 43 C in London next weekend.   For convenience of American friends, for Londoners that is roughly the equivalent of 212 F with gentle breeze.

The wonderful heat must be affecting you @keefer 43C is a mere 109F, and I’ve only seen forecasts of 36/37C (or 99F) to date.