How Hot Are You?

Lucky

"It's a dry heat." Well, yesterday morning I played tennis for two hours in the sun, when the humidity was only 12%. But the temperature was 106 F. when we finished, and the heat may have been dry, but I certainly wasn't.

Kudos! If I played tennis for two hours, I would be stone cold...forever. ?

I have a 1550sf ranch style home in the desert southwest.

I typically keep my thermostat at around 75F. I am careful to keep window blinds adjusted to minimize heat gain during the summer.

I have a leased solar panel system that’s been producing around 5200kWh per year.

I have a near ideal roof for solar panels that is shadeless and faces due south at a good roof pitch.

My heat, kitchen stove and hot water are gas.

- At installation I paid about $1600 up front to lower the solar panel base rate from about 12.5 cents per kWh to about 9.2 cents. This was a one time cost. That 9.2 cent rate will not change during the 20 year lease period.

- I pay a set rate of a bit over $39/mo to the solar company I lease from. That will not change during the lease period.

- My power company grid rate varies per month. There is currently a minimum charge of about $14/mo just for the grid connection. That is close to my monthly “electric power” utility bill connection (typically $14 - $19). Except for July, Aug and Sep when the bill averages $70/mo during the high air conditioning period. The average bill, over the course of a year, is around $25/mo. That may increase based on utility electric rates.

So my average monthly electric bill (power company @ $25/mo + solar panel lease @ $39/mo) has been about $64/mo over the past three years. Plus the $1600 initial "buy down"

Add to that the gas bill which averages about $23/mo.

It's 88 in Chicago today by the lake. I don't have central air so there's no thermostat to set (my condo building is almost 100 yrs old) but I do have my ac on. We just recently just turned the ac on when it was in the high 80s low 90s.

Hugs,

Greg

As far as weather is concerned I'm fortunate to live in Southern California. Things begin to warm up here beginning the middle of July. The really hot months in Southern California are August and September and sometimes the first part of October. Starting last week the local temperature began rising and has reached the high 80's and low 90's. I absolutely HATE hot weather and I don't see the difference between hot and humid and hot and dry -- I hate them both equally. During the day I keep my thermostat at 76. I normally turn off the air conditioning at night as it usually cool off some twenty degrees. Every summer there are a few nights when the temperature doesn't drop much and on those nights I keep the AC running , fortunately, those nights are very few. During these hot months my electric bill rarely goes over $120.

In the summer, when I'm relaxing at home, I keep the temperature at 80. If I'm working out, doing housework, or slaving in front of a hot computer screen, I might lower the thermostat to 77. Anything lower and I feel too cold.

I start to sweat once the temperature hits 83 degrees. ?

When the temperature outside is between 100 and 120, as it is much of the summer here, 80 inside feels very comfortable to me, so that is where we keep it all the time; I don't like too much difference when I move between indoors and ouside, nor do I like to keep changing the setting. In the winter, we keep the heat set at 76. I have never liked feeling cold, and the older I get, the warmer I like it. Even with the a/c set at 80 at night, I still sleep under covers.

Currently soggy and 55.

Well, warmer than it was here today. By about 1.5 degrees. At least it's been sunny here, after the fog lifted.

I was in those islands some years ago, and turned the television on in the middle of the weather report. I almost had heart failure when they said it would be 10 degrees. Then I realised it was a Canadian station.

At I first read the post heading I thought, "Well, I have a pretty big dick so I guess I am hot." But since it is not that I guess I will instead respond that I generally keep my thermostat at 78 degrees when the temp outside is 85 to 88.

That could be a topic for a separate thread! Does a big dick, in and of itself, make a guy "hot." If not, what does?

It is currently 4:30pm here in Palm Springs, and the temperature in my backyard is 112; however, the humidity is only 9%, so it's a dry heat ?

I just checked Accuweather's RealFeel for Palm Springs......at the airport, I assume, it's 108 with a RealFeel of 107......yup, that miraculous dry heat is a true blessing for us desert rats!