How Hot Are You?

Lucky

I just checked Accuweather's RealFeel for Palm Springs......at the airport, I assume, it's 108 with a RealFeel of 107......yup, that miraculous dry heat is a true blessing for us desert rats!

I've got an avocado-colored box in my kitchen that also has a great dry heat, but right now its got a pizza stone inside for a Puttanesca supper tonite!

Michigan heat is apparently about to let up after a horrible week of 90+ days. The dog park's been pretty empty, and the dogs tend to hang out in the little shade there is there. I had to laugh when my girl went off and found one 6" spot of shade under a small tree.

Tell me about it!

Our 10 Day Forecast....95* 95* 95*..98*...more than likely will continue through August and September with an odd hurricane thrown in...We go out to walk the dogs early....then again after 8p....I swim about 3p when we have some shade on the pool....No cold or snow in wintertime..

My cousin in rural northern Wisconsin just messaged me that the "tropical" heat there was causing mosquitoes to thrive, making outdoor work difficult. OTOH, my snowbird neighbor who is back in Seattle invited us to come visit, because the high there yesterday was 67.

I believe that is your winter though?? In winter it could easily be -35 to 40 C here. Not bragging but...

It is winter, and I can't imagine living in the sort of temperatures Canadians have on the prairies or even in T'ranno or Montréal. What passes for winter here, even in a cold climate area (in our terms) can be as warm as some European and North American summers.

It is winter, and I can't imagine living in the sort of temperatures Canadians have on the prairies or even in T'ranno or Montréal. What passes for winter here, even in a cold climate area (in our terms) can be as warm as some European and North American summers.

As we say on the prairies "but it's a dry cold" and that makes it better! Truthfully though we have endless days of blue skies in the winter which helps a lot and you just dress for it. Had a group of Aussies come here in winter for meetings and landed in a blizzard and so plane deplanned on tarmac as they plowed through snow difts in little slip on shoes or dress shoes. I don't think some people left the hotel for the whole 4 or 5 days but a few brace soles came sliding with a lot of donated clothes from us for the event.!

As we say on the prairies "but it's a dry cold" and that makes it better! Truthfully though we have endless days of blue skies in the winter which helps a lot and you just dress for it. Had a group of Aussies come here in winter for meetings and landed in a blizzard and so plane deplanned on tarmac as they plowed through snow difts in little slip on shoes or dress shoes. I don't think some people left the hotel for the whole 4 or 5 days but a few brace soles came sliding with a lot of donated clothes from us for the event.!

Last July I flew into Fargo, drove to Teddy Roosevelt National Park, then to Regina, Winnipeg, then back to Fargo. With that trip, I've visited every US state, and every Canadian province except Newfoundland/Labrador. I'm trying to figure out how to make it to the last province. Won't be this year, obviously. I couldn't find a lot of cruises that go there. I'm retiring soon, and will have a lot of time on my hands...

Las Vegas is expected to reach 114° on Sunday. Inside temperature is currently 85° with the thermostat set to 78°. I have fans in the living room and bedroom.

High heat is common across the US this weekend. Here in the California desert we expect to hit 114. Normally I would set the thermostat to 77, but with the A/C working so hard, it seemed best to give it a slight relief...78!

What is your thermostat setting? Is that your normal setting or is the heat causing a change?

I am also in Chicago and in an old building. I am near the lake but unfortunately only one of the windows opens because they are so big. On some days I am lucky enough to have a great moderate breeze. When it is in the higher 80s (which it luckily has not been so far this year) I close the window and turn on the AC. At certain points in the day, I turn off the cooling element and just use the ceiling fans that are in every room and which are great. I especially like a cooler room for sleeping. Chicago seems to have its bad and good months depending on the year. There are some weeks where it is absolutely beautiful whether and you say to yourself, "This is why I live here." Then it can turn to the 90's and high 90s and you want to pack up and go. Then again eventually winter comes and it can get so cold you do not leave your house unless you absolutely have to.

If I were going to pick a place to live solely on the basis of weather it would be San Diego, California. During the winter it seldom goes below the 60's and in the summer is seldom goes above the high 70's low 80's. My kind of weather!!!! Actually I hate heat more than cold. This weekend in Northern Orange Country, CA it is projected to be in the mid to high 90's -- definitely too damn hot.

If I were going to pick a place to live solely on the basis of weather it would be San Diego, California. During the winter it seldom goes below the 60's and in the summer is seldom goes above the high 70's low 80's. My kind of weather!!!! Actually I hate heat more than cold. This weekend in Northern Orange Country, CA it is projected to be in the mid to high 90's -- definitely too damn hot.

I love to visit San Diego. But for the pandemic, I would have escaped the current heat wave by going there. But living there? It's very conservative and often described as "boring."

The last time I was in San Diego (last July) the humidity was so bad I felt I was back home in NY. In fact, the people with whom I stayed had central air installed since the weather was getting so bad. My cousin's place, which was closer to the ocean and had better airflow, was better but I'm not sure how long I would have been able to stay there if I had since they didn't have air conditioning.

San Diego was one of those places I loved visiting because of the cool, dry summers to escape NY. Not sure anymore.

- At installation I paid about $1600 up front to lower the solar panel base rate from about 12.5 cents per kWh to about 9.2 cents. This was a one time cost. That 9.2 cent rate will not change during the 20 year lease period.

- I pay a set rate of a bit over $39/mo to the solar company I lease from. That will not change during the lease period.

- My power company grid rate varies per month. There is currently a minimum charge of about $14/mo just for the grid connection. That is close to my monthly “electric power” utility bill connection (typically $14 - $19). Except for July, Aug and Sep when the bill averages $70/mo during the high air conditioning period. The average bill, over the course of a year, is around $25/mo. That may increase based on utility electric rates.

So my average monthly electric bill (power company @ $25/mo + solar panel lease @ $39/mo) has been about $64/mo over the past three years. Plus the $1600 initial "buy down"

frustrated-accountant-hiring-small-business-845x321.jpg

Gevalt! Maybe I should just open a window

It is 9:25pm: the sun set long ago, the wind at my house is blowing from the NW at 20mph, but the temperature is still 100 degrees. Paradise?

Global warming? I don't remember so many days in a row of 90* plus....Living in North Florida is great in the winter..summertime is brutally hot....100* yesterday..same today...Huge electric thunderstorms....the water in our pool is 90*...I water out plants daily..if not...no garden...HOT!

We are going to get in the car and drive up into the mountains for the day, because it should be only in the low 90s there.

Haha, good move, 30 degrees is a lot. Meanwhile, we had a cold front go through, half a metre of snow in the ski-fields and more expected over night in the mountains outside Canberra. It won't be all that long before our weather narratives are reversed again, but I doubt the travel narrative at this end will change.