How Hot Are You?

Lucky

2 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

The wonderful heat must be affecting you @keefer 43C is a mere 109F, and I’ve only seen forecasts of 36/37C (or 99F) to date.

Latest forecasts have a plume of heat working its way north from Spain/Portugal on Sunday, and dropping back to normal summertime next week;  with numbers matching what you've posted...

Though I somehow survived two years in Houston was always happiest during Colorado autumn/winter;   As a bear I start to grumble whenever temperatures rise above 70; once they hit 80 it could be a mere 109 or 212 - all much the same to me....

1 hour ago, BtmBearDad said:

@MscleLovr, @Lucky check the UK sites, it’s a big story there now - potential for “life threatening 43C heat” next week: 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/heat-warning-uk-record-breaking-43c-scorcher/

I took my earlier quotes from LBC, and though I adore James O'Brien, I'm starting not to trust their weather predictions;   BBC has a more subdued view on the week; with a high of 36 forecast for Sunday; which is nothing compared to what most of the US is going through...

To be honest, the Brits will just get on with it; worst case scenario will be we'll sit in a darkened room and deny summer is happening...

35 minutes ago, MiamiLooker said:

I imagine swimming pools in PS have to be continually filled due to evaporation from high temps and low humidity.

And because of drought and water use restrictions, people with new pools are having trouble obtaining the water to fill them.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:45 AM, Luv2play said:

I heard on the news tonight that temperatures in England are going to soar above 40c in a couple of days. Coming from the south where France and Spain are already baking.

yep, it was very hot today and tomorrow is going to be worse...   

3 hours ago, keefer said:

yep, it was very hot today and tomorrow is going to be worse...   

Some of my family are arriving in London on Saturday morning. What's the outlook for then?

They aren't staying long as they are heading for St. Andrew's for a bit of golfing. I imagine it will be cooler there no matter what is going on further south in the UK.

21 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Some of my family are arriving in London on Saturday morning. What's the outlook for then?

I was speaking with some family, and friends over the weekend, and they were dying 🥵 They’re simple not used to such high temps like this - it hit 100F today in London! Most homes, and a number of hotels don’t have air con either, so there’s that too. Being a man of a certain stature, and hirsuiteness, I’d be melting with no AC! 

@Luv2play I think the worst of the heat is breaking now - shouldn’t be going past the 80’s for the next week in London. For your family hitting the links in Fife, the temps will be much cooler - mid 60’s to low 70’s thru next week. Perfect temps for a few rounds on the Old Course, but then there’s the rain to deal with 🤷🏼‍♂️

BBD

8 minutes ago, BtmBearDad said:

I was speaking with some family, and friends over the weekend, and they were dying 🥵 They’re simple not used to such high temps like this - it hit 100F today in London! Most homes, and a number of hotels don’t have air con either, so there’s that too. Being a man of a certain stature, and hirsuiteness, I’d be melting with no AC! 

@Luv2play I think the worst of the heat is breaking now - shouldn’t be going past the 80’s for the next week in London. For your family hitting the links in Fife, the temps will be much cooler - mid 60’s to low 70’s thru next week. Perfect temps for a few rounds on the Old Course, but then there’s the rain to deal with 🤷🏼‍♂️

BBD

Yeah, my sister is taking a light weight raincoat in case of rain. They are playing the Old Course and actually four different ones during the week they are there. They appear to be side by side from the map she showed me.

4 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Yeah, my sister is taking a light weight raincoat in case of rain. They are playing the Old Course and actually four different ones during the week they are there. They appear to be side by side from the map she showed me.

It’s a gorgeous area, and the course itself is too. As long as it’s a soft rain, they should be fine with a waterproof windbreaker, and a hat. 

5 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Just heard on the radio that England hit a new record at 104.4 in London.  Less than 5% of homes have a/c.

London is at a slightly higher latitude than Calgary... we normally need nice warm sweaters (jumpers) and hot chocolate... at the moment I’d kill for an ice bath

In central London, it’s currently 36C (or 97F).

Forgive me for feeling smug. When I had the place fully renovated 20 years ago, I insisted on having air conditioning installed. Every English person I know said to me: “You’ll never need it” 😇

16 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Just heard on the radio that England hit a new record at 104.4 in London

That temperature was recorded at Heathrow Airport today, a record 40.2C. 

When I lived in London fifty years ago, I didn't know anyone who had air conditioning, but it was considered very desirable to have central heating, so it was always mentioned in rental ads if it was included. I have friends who live there who still don't have central heating or a/c.

During the unusually warm summers of 1976 and 77, when temperatures got into the 80s, the parks were full of sunbathers every day, and sunscreen was hard to find in the chemist shops.

1 hour ago, MscleLovr said:

Forgive me for feeling smug. When I had the place fully renovated 20 years ago, I insisted on having air conditioning installed. Every English person I know said to me: “You’ll never need it” 😇

Incredible investment.... I suspect tonight a huge number of providers would gratefully pay you for an all-nighter 😇