How Hot Are You?

Lucky

14 hours ago, BtmBearDad said:

Sorry! I’m in NYC. 

🤪 instantly reminded me of the hand drawn map of Manhattan, adjacent to it were the boroughs and a bit of New Jersey; and the rest of the world was clearly marked as unimportant features faded in the distance.....  so of course it was NYC 😇🤪

The sense of dislocation with the other half of the world is profound for me, but I guess that feeling is the norm when we are at the heights of our respective summers and the depths of our winters. Australia corresponds with more southerly regions in the US and further south (and more to North Africa than any of Europe) so cold for us is mild for y'all. So, as I sit here at 3am (important cricket to watch from Durham) it's -2, and yesterday was a toasty 12 degrees (being inland and at moderate altitude does that). It will be summer soon enough, but I sympathise with those in an unaccustomed furnace today!

2 hours ago, keefer said:

🤪 instantly reminded me of the hand drawn map of Manhattan, adjacent to it were the boroughs and a bit of New Jersey; and the rest of the world was clearly marked as unimportant features faded in the distance.....  so of course it was NYC 😇🤪

I swear I’m not one of those New Yorkers! I really thought I talked about NYC temperatures in the prior post. We’re not all annoying stereotypes, promise! 😂🤣😂

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

When I lived in London fifty years ago, I didn't know anyone who had air conditioning, but it was considered very desirable to have central heating, so it was always mentioned in rental ads if it was included. I have friends who live there who still don't have central heating or a/c.

During the unusually warm summers of 1976 and 77, when temperatures got into the 80s, the parks were full of sunbathers every day, and sunscreen was hard to find in the chemist shops.

I remember those hot summers in London in 76, 77. I was working there frequently and one weekend I met a nice young lad in the park. We had a fling and I invited him to the theatre. Unfortunately he showed up wearing a heavy perfume and that killed it for me. 

It is now past 10 pm in Hong Kong and the temperature is 32 degrees C, with a heat index of 37 due to the high humidity (74%). Today’s high heat index approached 40. Well, they say that’s normal  Hong Kong in the summer 🤷🏻‍♂️

I had a similar experience last summer during one of the 100+ weeks we had - I was chatting on the phone with a mate in Riyadh, I was moaning about the heat here, my mate replied “Wow! It’s actually hotter there than here by almost 15 degrees!”

It’s just wrong when NYC is hotter than a desert. 

BBD

• 3 weeks later...

We are now in August and the heat has been gathering strength here in Eastern Ontario. I don't have ac and actually ordered a quote from the firm that installed ac in our headquarters of a group I represent as president. 

Today I was just there will a rep to try to fix the problem as it has not worked correctly since installation. I never got the quote for my own house as they had spelled my name incorrectly on my email. 

The expectations of further hot weather above 30C is diminishing daily. I think I'll tough it out at home. But we paid $32k for the office and that cheque has been deposited. 

We're now into perfect August weather, warm sunny days and cool nights. Today had lunch at my club, on a verandah overlooking the marina. The view was enhanced by a hunk in his early 20's, dirty blond hair cut short and the body of a tennis player or sailor off one of the boats. His girl friend had her hand on his thigh the odd time, which I couldn't blame her for. Black shorts and a black t-shirt. No tats.

Edited by Luv2play

• 4 weeks later...

So now we are in September and I am reading about extradorinary heat in California. And a hurricane bearing down on San Diego (well almost) and the real fire season has yet to start with the Santa Ana winds of September.

How are members in this area coping these days? Here in eastern Canada it's just typical late summer weather, quite pleasant but of course winter is looming just over the horizon. 

16 hours ago, Luv2play said:

So now we are in September and I am reading about extradorinary heat in California. And a hurricane bearing down on San Diego (well almost) and the real fire season has yet to start with the Santa Ana winds of September.

How are members in this area coping these days? Here in eastern Canada it's just typical late summer weather, quite pleasant but of course winter is looming just over the horizon. 

We are dragging our asses through the longest and most extreme heat wave that I can remember here in Palm Springs. The heat index at my backyard was 120 yesterday afternoon, and it doesn't get down below the low 90s at night. I keep my a/c set at 80 degrees, and only leave my house to do necessary chores. Even the dog stops when he gets out the door, and has to be coaxed to go any further. Now we're told that this weekend it will be hot and stormy instead of hot and dry.