How are you staying in shape?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1139 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that I have more healthy things when I am cooking at home than eating out.

I also have set up a work out bench at my house and get out bicycling as much as I can

Absolutely true. If you can cook and buy healthy, then eating at home is great for your diet. And your body will thank you for it. I limit my restaurant meals now to special occasions only and when out, go for the healthier choice on the menu.

I am doing the same amount of formal exercise as ever, and diet even more balanced than previously, but just went out to buy four pairs of pants a size up. I have a lot of wiggle room to slack off due to a lifetime of care and restraint, but the additional time seated activities at home must be adding a molecule of fat per click.

I stayed in pretty good shape using dumbbells, bands and bodyweight exercises - I was smoother than normal, but didn't lose any size. A couple months ago, we invested in our own equipment and turned our living room into a home gym. I'm in better shape than when I was going to the gym because I don't have to wait for equipment, I don't have any excuse for skipping workouts and it is supremely relaxing to lift at home all by myself. As a matter of fact, I'm almost in contest shape.

Aww c'mon, Rudy, don't tease us! We all wanna see (well, at least I do) Post a pic of your success! We're drooling already.

I am doing the same amount of formal exercise as ever, and diet even more balanced than previously, but just went out to buy four pairs of pants a size up. I have a lot of wiggle room to slack off due to a lifetime of care and restraint, but the additional time seated activities at home must be adding a molecule of fat per click.

For myself I decided to just face reality and get ahead of the curve - I went up 3 inches in pants sizes. What the hell - no one is seeing me anyway.

On a more serious note, my gym re-opened about a month ago and at the time, I wanted to wait to go back until September. Now September is here and I'm itching to get back. I take it that the many fine members on this board would counsel me to wait some more? The gym has put up barricades to cut down on airflow, spaced the equipment better, and is keeping an eye on the amount of people there. If we all wear masks and wipe down the equipment - isn't that enough precautions?

Sweetie, I did the quote function but it pulled in your aggregate of poster quotes.

On a more serious note, my gym re-opened about a month ago and at the time, I wanted to wait to go back until September. Now September is here and I'm itching to get back. I take it that the many fine members on this board would counsel me to wait some more? The gym has put up barricades to cut down on airflow, spaced the equipment better, and is keeping an eye on the amount of people there. If we all wear masks and wipe down the equipment - isn't that enough precautions?

The question invites a yes/no level of advice. There is no point repeating mitigation measures over and over, and that gym fitness is AYOR.

Given that mitigation is a generally known component, for me it comes down to probability of contagion based on CoV prevalence at any given point of time, assuming the gym co-bunnies are representative of the epidemiological trend in Palookaville or wherever you and possibly a spiky virion or more co-exist.

I prefer quantitative specificity to complement my own fretful recognition that we are continually ramming up against an ambiguous grey area in our decision-making.

What is your risk tolerance, 0-100% that another gym member is on site with (typically unknown) contagion potential? Such calculations are possible using a mathematically anchored binomial algorithm. You can position your acceptance of risk, that is, your own % comfort, against real world CoV surveillance that changes daily and gets plugged into the formula. I make all my various bubble aversion decisions integrating these sorts of data.

Better than Sudoku for brain fitness cuz it has prevention pertinence.

A propos of relative regional risk this week novel coronavirus loves Iowa and The Dakotas but has never much cuddled up to Maine, Vermont, or New Hampshire. Where your gym lives is relevant.

Edited by SirBIllybob

Aww c'mon, Rudy, don't tease us! We all wanna see (well, at least I do) Post a pic of your success! We're drooling already.

For myself I decided to just face reality and get ahead of the curve - I went up 3 inches in pants sizes. What the hell - no one is seeing me anyway.

That bad part for me is not particularly the look but having to buy different sizes. But I learned my lesson in previous years and have some of the old sizes. I will put them, go to the gym, and aim for being able to get back to the old sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been going to the gym regularly since they reopened in Virginia in June, but the quarantine weight gain struggle is real. Ugh. Thinking about getting a small foot cycle so I can burn some calories while stuck at my home desk working or while decompressing from work in front of the tv.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, "round" is a shape, right!! ?

That reminds me of this comic I once heard who was upset when he met someone from a dating site who described himself as having a "swimmer's build." The comic said "Yeah, if avocados could swim....". I think the comic may have been Scott Capurro.

Edited by Unicorn

Unfortunately, my refrigerator is the entity I am visiting the most. Unmasked sadly.

Having to wear a mask when going to the fridge reminds me of the old joke of how nicotine patches can be most successfully used....

health-beauty-smoke-smoker-nicotine-stop_smoking-fag-forn5694_low.jpg

614435aab765b1ac8ef22afd689b232f.png