Cruise Coming Up, Would You Take?

rocky
This topic is 1515 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Please don't pass this along to the "travel" section, I'm asking a serious question. I have a cruise that is to leave Miami on 3/23; going to Key West and Cozumel; so would you go ahead with the cruise knowing what we know about the coronavirus? I'm saying yes but have friends, and I work at a university who are medical, pharmacy professionals, are saying, nope no ship for you..but it's in an area not hit yet by the virus, on Celebrity Infinity who has an area that doesn't include across the Atlantic. Thoughts? Please I welcome you thoughts.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately several ships have been centers of concern. I saw today that a ship had 2400 people quarantined to their room for the remainder of the cruise as a result of a single person with an exposure. The next item on the news was tracking the first case in NYC in which 18 people have been confirmed to have contracted the disease from him and another 168 have been quarantined. With that kind of spread and the heightened sense of worry, it is possible for just the hint of a sneeze or a cough or a fever would be enough for the cruise line to quarantine the entire ship. Ten days on a boat in a room, is not my idea of a good time. If I had travel insurance I would definitely cancel. Without it, I would weigh the pros and cons and make my decision based on number of cases in your area and type of screening, if any, the cruise line is doing.

I would be concerned that between now and then there will be some travel restrictions placed whether by the government or your employer and you might be forced to take 2 weeks off work involuntarily. Do you know if they would pay you?

I’d think really hard about this. There’s 3500 folks on the Grand Princess sitting off the California coast and “no guests will be allowed to disembark until all test results are received”.

It’s early in the process of learning how to deal with this but right now all it takes is a single person to maybe be sick and you’re stuck. I believe that all guests have been asked to remain 6 feet from each other.... so much for a conga-line.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a7dbed2a3499646fecfe36551d1994caa3260c35e&rid=giphy.gif

Edited by Keith30309

I am barely willing to fly domestically at the moment. No way in hell I would get on a ship and risk what others have talked about (quarantine etc.). I also couldn't fathom eating off a buffet in this environment.

Full disclosure though, I hope people are willing as I invested in cruise stocks after the huge drop in prices hoping for an eventual recovery.

Just in case...I'd make sure I understood the cancellation policy. Also, check your travel insurance and credit card policies regarding trip cancellation/interruption.

I wouldn't go and would put if off to another date in the future.

Harry Sommer. March 6, 2020

President & CEO

Norwegian Cruise Line:

I want to provide our guests and travel partners with reassurance, so I am very pleased to announce our new Peace of Mind policy. Simply put, for any voyage from March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests are free to cancel anytime up to 48 hours in advance of embarkation. Please note that this new policy applies to individual and group bookings only. Anyone choosing to cancel will receive a full refund in the form of a future cruise credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. This is by far the most consumer-friendly policy in the industry. We put our guests first!